“Excellent Hotel and Area”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #215 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
“Excellent Hotel and Area”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Funky design, close to casino, amazing shopping, bars and restaurant. Very good and helpful staff but just let down by the lady in the spa section. Front desk told me sauna was free and when we got down there it was not! therefore 4 instead of 5 on the ranking

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Johan,
Thank you for your review and I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
However, I do apologise that you were misinformed upon arrival by our Front Desk. Our sauna and steam is indeed chargeable to guests and I am just so sorry that you were not made aware of this.
I do hope this will not deter you from returning to The May Fair on a future occasion as we would be delighted to welcome you back soon.
With best wishes,
Inderneel Singh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I chose The May Fair Hotel with a highly recommendation of my friend. I can recommend to everybody also . From the entrance to the room i was amused with lovely smell inside the hotel. The room is big enough and cosy. Especially the location is perfect ! You can walk to everywhere in minutes. Concierge desk is very helpfull , they are well knowledge with the area and the latest in places. During my stay Ms zeynep ipek from guest relations was very helpful with my booking and took care of me well.
This hotel stands out of other hotels certainly.

• Stayed November 2013
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Aston,
Thank you for your review.
I am so plesed to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind compliments about the team here.
We very much hope to welcome you back on another occasion in the near future.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Super location for a hotel, tube station across the road, walking distance to so many places.
Very classy place, can be expensive if there is an event on in London but in fairness they all can.
Breakfast is expensive, it is very easy to take one elsewhere as there are loads of places within 2 minutes walk. Overall it is lovely if you want a little bit of luxury.

Room Tip: Nowhere seemed to have a major advantage
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Philip,
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
We very much hope to welcome you back on another occasion.
London
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Great location, friendly staff , cool atmosphere. We enjoyed our evening and loves the choice of barres. The room was large and had good quality through out. Lots of space which can be unusual in city hotels. The staff were professional and very helpful. The restaurant Quince was busy on the Saturday night we stayed, so would be wise to book before. The steak was delicious as was the cod fish unfortunately the service was very slow. the location is walking distance from Buckingham palace (3mins) Piccadilly and Oxford street. Very funky place and a range of different visitors.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review.
I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed here last month - a Friday overnight in London before a fairly early train journey to the East Midlands in the morning.
Generally speaking, the hotel itself, which is well located in bustling Mayfair, is usually reliable and worth the tariff.
However, on the Friday night in question, our overnight stay was ruined by some selfish "guests" who had decided to party in their bedroom on the 6th floor until 5:00AM. Our own accommodation was a few rooms away from the nucleus of the noise and our main problem was the constant overloud banter in the corridor.
Needless to say, multiple complaints were registered during the night and in the morning too. The staff on duty had attempted to calm down the morons but to no avail.
On checking out, we were advised that our complaint was noted on the system and a quiet room would be assigned to us for our next stay. Interesting approach!

Room Tip: How can you avoid rooms occupied by selfish guests?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JimBlandings
Thank you for your review.
I was so sorry to hear about the noise disturbance and I would like to take this opportunity of offering you my personal apologies for the discomfort you were undoubtedly caused. This is completely unacceptable and I am just sorry on behalf of those residents.
If you do return to stay with us, we will ensure you are allocated a quiet room and I will also take personal care of your stay.
In the meantime, I send you my best wishes,
Paris
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I often stay in this hotel, sometimes for a whole week, so I know it pretty well. The common parts and the rooms are excellent. The decoration is relaxing and stylish and the new TVs in the rooms are superb (although no business channels - CNBC, Bloomberg - maybe that's a good thing).

My criticisms would be as follows:

Poor sound insulation between the rooms and corridors - you can hear everything that's going on outside your door - not ideal during the Christmas party season!

In the bathrooms - which are otherwise excellent - they use a dispenser system for the soap, shampoo etc - rather as you would expect to find in budget hotel or a public washroom. The dispensers work badly and often get clogged up. This seems a real false economy in a good hotel.

The room service staff have been trained by a double-glazing salesman. Try just ordering a sandwich and you will be on the phone for five minutes refusing offers of soup, a desert, wine, water...anything to get you to order more. Room service has a "tray charge" and 12.5% service
added, plus a space left on the ticket for a "gratuity". That said, the food when it comes is good and nicely presented.

The last two times I arrived at lunchtime with family in tow and lots of heavy luggage we struggled out of the taxi with small children and suitcases - completely unaided - only to be greeted by the porter in the lobby with an offer of help after we had done all the heavy lifting. Check-in can also be unbearably slow - you will need all your reserves of Zen if you arrive at a busy time.

The bar is often wildly noisy at night and full of the local crew of junior hedge-fund managers and estate agents along with a selection of charming working girls. If you fancy a quiet drink you will be out of luck! A residents only bar somewhere would be a nice innovation.

Anyway, don't let all that put you off. It's overall a pleasant experience and given central London prices it is often available at good value prices.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and your detailed feedback.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us and please be assured I will be following up your comments with my team.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from another fabulous stay the The May Fair. The hotel is a fantastic base in the heart of Mayfair. We were lucky enough to be upgraded and enjoyed the benefit of the Nespresso Machine. The Bar has a great atmosphere and drinks were fab. We hope to return again soon

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind compliments.
We do hope to welcome you back very soon.