“Small rooms, great location, efficient service”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #222 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip in the first week of October. I had a superior queen room and have to admit to being a bit surprised at how small the room was. That being said, I didn't feel uncomfortable at any time in my 6 night stay. The basic layout of the room was a double bed with a television on a buffet against the wall and two chairs and a small dining table (which I used as a desk) against the far wall under the windows. The rooms are very nicely decorated and the furnishings are comfortable which makes the room feel more cozy then tiny. Also the bathroom is a very good size with a nice deep tub and good pressure in the shower.

The service was very efficient and friendly, from reception to the doormen and the concierge. I tried room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner during my stay and the food was good quality, delivered in a timely manner by friendly and efficient staff.

The location of the Hotel is the best asset - a short stroll down to Picadilly and an easy walk to the West End and Covent Garden.

My only issue was that I did notice noise from the hallways most nights. The size of the rooms means the bed is fairly close to the hallway. I would recommend asking for a room well away from the lifts and this issue should be avoided.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Mr Maguire,
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your compliments about the team here were a pleasure to read and I would like to thank you for taking the time to give this feedback.
We do hope to welcome you back to The May Fair in the near future.
With my best wishes,

Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I took a two week trip to Europe this fall. The first leg of the trip was to London. We hadn't ever been to London and decided that we wanted to stay in a nice room, in a nice area, close to all the major tourist attractions.

The time we were there happened to be LFW (London Fashion Week) and the May Fair was an official sponsor. Lots of pretty people in fashionable clothes all around us all four days we were there.

First the positives:
No more than two blocks from the Green Park tube station, which can get you to just about anywhere you need to go in London. You can walk to Buckingham Palace easily. Once there, you can easily walk to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Churchill War Rooms, the London Eye, etc. You're one or two tube stops (or a long but managable walk) to the theatre district, Harrods, etc Close to Victoria and St Pancras stations if you need to get to Gatwick (it was less than 10 pounds cab ride from the hotel to Victoria for us and we could have taken the tubes but had two large lugage bags and didn't want to hassel with them.) You're across the street from a little grocery store if you want to get cheep food and bottled water. I believe there was complimentary bottled water in the room as well. There's also a Starbucks less than a block away and a couple of nice restaurants that require reservations but are nice if your wife is wearing heels out as they're so close.

The rooms are clean and pretty good sized. Bathrooms are pretty large as well. My wife and I had no problems feeling like we needed space even with our large lugage open and clothes strewn about, ironing board out, etc.

The breakfast was very good. Room service was good as well. Internet / WiFi was free when we went.

Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The turndown service was on point. They would even fold up our clothes and stack them nicely ontop of our lugage so that they could clean the room properly.

The towel rack is heated and when you go to grab your towel to dry off, it's like heaven. My wife and I both commented how nice it was.

Only one real negative:
There are two bars in the hotel. The May Fair Bar is totally our style. Dark lighting, good music.... reminds me a lot of an upscale lounge like Redwood Room in San Francisco. We came back from the theatre and decided we wanted to have drinks. Unfortunately they were just getting ready to stop serving drinks. It wasn't even 11pm! We were disapointed about that but were told not to worry, that we could get drinks at the Quince bar across the lobby (same place we had a very good breakfast.) The experience there was really the only bad one we had at the May Fair hotel. We sat down at a table and ordered drinks. We drank those in 15-20 minutes, then waited over 20 minutes before I finally got up and went to the bar to ask for more drinks. I could tell the bartender was irritated with our waiter for not taking care of us, but instead of just making me the drinks, he sent me back to my table and then sent the waiter over. We ordered more drinks and same thing. Got our drinks, drank them, then the waiter never came back. I got irritated and asked for the check. I probably would have bought a dozen drinks instead of the four we had if the mood wasn't killed by the lack of service. And at 11 pounds per drink, you expect better service than that, especially when it wasn't overly busy on a weekday night.

It's too bad they don't keep the other bar open late instead. Much hipper atmosphere there.

One other odd thing to be aware of, and I guess this is true of all European hotels maybe (our hotels in Nice and in Paris were both this way) and proved to be slightly annoying for my wife is that there is only a single power outlet for a mens shaver in the bathroom. She tried using it anyways and it wouldn't work. She had to sit on the floor outside the bathroom infront of a full lenght mirror in order to use her curling iron and blow dryer to get ready to go out. You would think for a $500 a night hotel that is sponsoring LFW, they'd have outlets for women to use in the bathroom infront of the mirror. Like I said, it's not really a negative if that's just how all European hotels are. It's just something we weren't aware of.

Overall I liked the May Fair. I would recommend it, but not to all of my friends. I think there is a good chance you could run into a celebrity or model in the lobby. It's very chic. But at the same time, I know there would be a lot of people who would say it's over priced. It just depends on the person.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your detailed review.
I am delighted to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your compliments.
I was so sorry to hear about your experience in our Quince Bar and this is certainly something I will be taking up with my Food and Beverage Manager. Your additional feedback is also extremely helpful.
We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to the Hotel and if you do return, please do let my office know, as I would love to have the opportunity of saying hello.
With my best wishes,

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel is nice, service is good. Room amenities are okay. Had I known, I would have brought my own shampoo
There is a sweet smelling fragrance that permeates the main floor and restaurant that is unpleasant. I almost left the restaurant....

• Stayed: October 2013
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to hear how impressed you were with our service here and thank you for your compliments about the Hotel. I was sorry to hear you did not like the scent in our lobby and I do hope this did not cause you too much uncomfort. I have taken note of your feedback and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
We do hope to welcome you back to The May Fair again soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Busy it was, London Fashion Week the direct cause but busy it will be always anyway because of its prime location, spacious rooms (such a treat in comparison to others) and its energetic and gracious staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you also for your kind compliments about the team here.
We very much hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

i came back to this hotel from the 21st august to the 8th september and again we have been received like kings .....

when we arrived again we ask for fatima , if you need something SHE IS THE ONE to talk to!! she's from the guest relations and she's very very kind !! i was in the room 452 this room is one of the most quiet one !!!

the service in this hotel is more than excellent

and i repeat again if you have any kind of problem with anything ask for fatima she wil do her best to satisfy you

go also to the cigar room or the mayfair bar on saturday night it's amazing it's crowded and beautiful ladies for the single guy ok??? lol

i will definitely come back there

hope this help you people

Room Tip: room 130 230 330 etc near the elevator
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your wonderful compliments about Fatima which be assured will be passed on.
We very much hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights only but really enjoyed every monent of it. The service was great the restaurent is excellent the rooms are pretty and very clean. They are very friendly there. And the location is great very close to the shopping area.

• Stayed: August 2013
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Amanda,
Thank you so much for your kind review.
I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We just returned from London where we stayed at the May Fair. For some reason, when they remodeled the hotel, they used tile part of the way down the hallway where rooms are located. As it so happens, the service door is also just off the tile floor. Thus, every time hotel staff enter or leave via this service door, or any time another guest further down the hall walks to the elevator, you hear each and every step echo through your room. And although we were on the 6th floor, we could clearly hear the music from the bar that was downstairs in the lobby in our room. In addition, we had to request a top sheet for our bed EVERY DAY from housekeeping. One person from housekeeping would bring it, and later, another would enter to turn down the bed and take it away. It was very frustrating!!! Even when we asked repeatedly and left instructions to leave the sheet, it went missing. Perhaps they have a sheet shortage??? Another problem with the remodel was the shower in the bathroom. Aesthetically, the bathroom was pleasing. Functionally, however, it left a lot to be desired. The shower leaked a lot every time it was used, which made the beautiful granite floors quite slippery. Aside from the noise and bedding issues, the hotel was in a fantastic location. For the money, however, I would look around.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay, ask for a room further down the hallway where it is carpeted.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Mr Loughery,
Thank you for your review which I was disappointed to read.
I am so sorry to hear of the noise disturbance you expeirenced and the problems you had with Housekeeping and I would like to offer you my personal apologies for the frustration this caused you. I will certainly follow up on the points you have highlighted and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I do hope you will return to The May Fair and if you do, please be so kind as to let my office know, so I may have the pleasure of meeting with you and also to ensure you are allocated a room on the quieter side of the Hotel.