“London's Afternoon Tea”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #218 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We'd love to say thanks to Ms Silvia & her colleagues to have given us fond memories of a traditional Afternoon Tea in London.

It was on 16th May 2013, a rainy afternoon and a few days before our 48th wedding anniversary. We chose from among the Top 10 best Afternoon Tea houses and picked Quince because it was at The May Fair. May is a good month with beautiful flowers, romantic, and particularly the Holy Month for respecting Holy Mary.

We enjoyed the environment, the atmosphere, and the friendly travelers next to us. Experience & tips on travels were exchanged. Most importantly was the fine service making us feeling at home and could easily spend the whole afternoon there until they started to prepare settings for dinner.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your review and your kind compliments.
I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the Afternoon tea and your comments were a pleasure to read. Silvena Rowe, left The May Fair in November last year and our new Head Chef, Max Shearer, is overseeing Quince Kitchen.
We very much hope to welcome you back soon.
Anthony Lee

Write a ReviewReviews (4,927)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed for two nights, staff friendly and helpful but the room was the size I expect of a four star hotel and looked out on to a slate roof.Tea and coffee supplied but no biscuits/chocolate, which seems to be the norm in other hotels. Found it odd that the hanging space for clothes was in the bathroom. Good shower and bath size also good quality complimentary toiletries. Perfect central position but did not feel our room worth the price paid.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your oversall stay with us.
I was, however, disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with the size of your room and the view you were given. Please accept my apologies for this. I would like to suggest that if you return to stay with us, you ask our Reception to allocate you one of our rooms on the street side which I hope would be more suitable for you.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
General Manger

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Beautiful hotel, most of the staff are friendly, the beds are heavenly, rooms spacious. Couldn't get the TV over the bath to work so I rang concierge only to be told "oh no, none of them work" Not good enough for a 5 star hotel. If it hadn't been for that I would have awarded 5 stars to this review. The area was great, right next to Tube station, and a nice selection of Ferraris and bentleys parked outside....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us.
I was so sorry to hear about the television and my apologies for this. We are currenty in the process of changing the infrastrucutre of our televisions and hope to have this project completed by the end of September.
We do hope to welcome you back soon and in the meantime, I send my best wishes to you.
General Mangaer

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed one night (weekend) and had a really great experience. Reception staff very friendly, got upgraded which was great, room superb, clean, comfy, great toiletries, very good shower, big bath, super bed. Had a few drinks in the bar before heading out and after coming back from music gig- great quality.

Considered the £50 breakfast but had a lie in and decided to opt for the £10 one in Pret around the corner with views of the park in stead. Friends we were out with did do the room service brekkie though, and said it was very good, apart from the cappuchino.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your review and delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
We do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Yes it's expensive, but once you've stayed here you can understand why! The staff are just fantastic and you just know that you have landed in a truly first class hotel where nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are huge by normal standards and we had a great one located at the front of the hotel. Just standing at the font of the hotel at night time is an experience! Probably the best display of the finest cars ever! The location couldn't be better - make sure you take in Shepherds market.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your wondeful review.
I was absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments really were a pleasure to read.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
With my best wishes,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

While staying at "The May Fair" on business, my associates and I found the guest relations manager (Zeynep) to be extremely helpful and accommodating to our every need. This hotel is a perfect blend of sophistication, comfort and elegance. I would highly recommend staying at "The May Fair Hotel" when in London, and while you're there, make sure to stop by and say hello to Zeynep..

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with and your compliments about Ipek were a pleasure to read.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
With my best wishes,

Reviewed June 27, 2013

A lot of things went wrong during our two-night stay in this hotel.

First, Check in problem:
we arrived around 1:00 Pm and was told that our rooms were not ready until 3:00 pm, so we went out to do some shopping and come back around 3:20. However, rooms were not ready, still. We were tired and decided to stay in lobby and wait for our room. After 20 minutes or so, one of the rooms was finally ready and we were able to check in.
Secondly, We found out that our luggages were missing after we finally checked into the rooms. It took them more than an hour to locate our luggages.

Finally, here came the wrost part, attitude from the check out staff.
we need to catch an early flight back to US, so I checked out at 6:00 AM. There was only one guy there and his name is Vinay. First, he told me that there were some charges from minibar which we did not use at all. As I was explaining it to him, he stared at me like I was lying which made me very furious and then he went on and said that he will take the balance off my account. However, he apparently didn't know how to take the balance off until I demand to get a copy of my bill, then he decided to ask for help from supervisor. For about 10 minutes or so to wait for him staring at his computer. He finally said that he took the charge off. However, he coulnd't give me a copy of bill. I need to call my credit card company if I need a receipt. I have traveled a lot for my job and stayed in many hotels and never heard that hotel guests are not allowed to get a copy of their bill. I gave up after arguing with him for about 20 minutes because I didn't want to miss my flight. I certainly didn't expect the supposed to be an easy check out process will take that long and this front desk guy's attitude certainly act like he is working for a upscale hotel.

It is a shame that this hotel is well located and close to many restaurants and shopping . However, our family will certainly stay in the other hotels if we go back to London.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mamake

Thank you for your review which I was extremely concerned to read.
I am so sorry for the difficulties you experienced during your check in and check out and please do accept my personal apologies for this.
I will certainly be following up your feedback with my Front of House Manager and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
If you do stay with us again, please do let my office know, so I can have the opportunity to meet with you.