“Amazing hotel and location. I will be a returning customer”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #220 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Calgary, Canada
“Amazing hotel and location. I will be a returning customer”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have stayed at many different hotel locations in London and the May Fair is by far my favourite hotel to stay when in London.

The hotel location is perfect, you can walk to major landmarks ( Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Green Park). Very close to tube stations as well as restaurants , casinos and pubs.

The staff was great and the bar inside the hotel call 150 has perfect to place for a bite or drink at the end of the day

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I was so pleased to read your wonderful review and thank you so much for your kind compliments.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Anthony Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Antibes, France
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Loved the place - room, restaurant, staff - all excellent. The location is absolutely stunning - Bond Street, Piccadilly, the Ritz - fabulous! Very much enjoyed the stay - breakfast is very good, I did not try the restaurant in the evening but the place is buzzing and it has a very nice atmosphere - I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your wonderful comments.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Hale, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

When you stay at an upscale luxury hotel like The May Fair, your expectations are naturally a lot higher, just like your room rate is lot higher than the average run of the mill hotel.

Overall the stay was very comfortable and the hotel is located in a very upmarket precinct of London. Service was friendly and efficient and wasn't at all pretentious which can sometimes spoil an experience at luxury hotels or resorts.

In terms of the "arrival", two things stood out in a somewhat negative sense;

(1) There is a very strong, almost overpowering aroma in the lobby which isn't unpleasant (it's like baby powder) no doubt the scent emanates from the hotel spa and wellness area. Quite a nice scent in small doses, but it was too strong this past weekend.

(2) Check-in was slow, but allow me to be specific. We checked in at 12.30pm on a Saturday and it was naturally a busy time at the front desk with guests checking out and some early arrivals (like us) checking in. There were two front desk terminals unattended during this busy checkin time. Ideally the manager on duty should have assisted during this busy check in time, so not a great welcome, however the receptionist who did check us in was lovely, friendly and helpful, even though our room wasn't ready upon checkin.

The hotel has a rich design element which I quite liked. The rooms are generously sized, particularly by London standards. We stayed in a standard Twin room and the floor space, including the bath room was 3 times the size of the typical London hotel room.

The shower was great and the heavy drapes did a great job of ensuring the early morning light didn't interrupt a very sound sleep.

Whilst the TV is a Bang & Olufsen brand, it's an old CRT style of TV and the screen was much too small for this size room. The sound was great, but this TV looked quite out of date, or not up to the standards of the rest of the room fit out.

In a luxury hotel, you expect the audio-visual devices in your room to be modern and at least as good as your own TV at home - not the case here.

Would I stay again? Yes I would. As I said earlier, the bar is raised higher when judging a luxury hotel stay, as it should be.

Room Tip: If you need a twin bedded room as we did, you should ask for this to be confirmed before arrival. T...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us and thank you for your feedback which I will certainly take on board.
I wanted to advise you also, that we are in the beginning stages of replacing all of our televisions with a Samsung smart television, with the minimum size being between 40 and 65 inches. I am sure our guests will be delighted with this new feature and I do hope you will enjoy this when you return to The May Fair.
In the meantime, I send you my best wishes.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

we were cordially welcome, of course is The May Fair in Stratton street in London!

my wife loves to order breakfast in the room , and we did...was offered fresh squeezed orange juice...of course I said yes!, We live in Florida! And we love it! But was very close to a Tropicana all pulpe orangesaft.....nô problème .....but when We look for robes in the closet .....no where to be found.....our welcome concierge was very sure about our experience will be a lasting one ......but you leave the hotel with that sour taste....wish they mean what they announced.....at first place....

Room Tip: I believe the front suites.... overlooking Stratton street.....our has lots of space....impressive...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Charliewines
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I was saddened to read your comments and I would like to take this opportunity to extend my personal apologies for your experience. I will certainly take your comments on board and we do hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience The May Fair as I would have liked you to on your first visit.
In the meantime, I send you my best wishes.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked two rooms at The May Fair for my mother and myself for a birthday. The check in by Silvia was friendly and welcoming! The rooms were great, and I feel like I could sleep forever in the beds!

Jerremy from concierge was great and booked us a trip uo The Shard, also helped us with our theatre booking for the evening!

When we got back from the theatre, The Guest Relations Manager, Sophie had arranged some champange in the room as it was a birthday which was amazing, and gave the hotel that extra "touch"

We also enjoyed some cocktails at the famous May Fair Bar, which excelled expectations, and the service in the bar was great!

The location is great, the staff are friendly, the stay was amazing, I will be coming back here for my future visits to London

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your review which I was delighted to read.
I was so pleased you and your Mother enjoyed your stay with us in celebration of your birthday. Your compliments were a delight to read and your special mentions about certain members of the team were wonderful to hear!
We do hope we can welcome you both back very soon and in the meantime, I send my best wishes to you.
Swindon
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I really can't see how this is a 5 star hotel. It really is an overpriced 4* hotel. We paid over £200 for a box room with broken aircon that left us feel very hot all night, no view, poorly decorated, shower with very low pressure that kept switching between hot and cold, pillow that gave me a neck ache.. not enjoyable at all. And this room was supposed to be 'lovely' as per the receptionist! It was supposed to be a birthday treat but I guess I should have read the reviews first as they do suggest that this is not the 5* hotel I imagined it to be.

Advise - unless you booked a suite or better don't bother with this hotel. I think that this is more 'businessman' orientated hotel not a 'romantic break' hotel.

Room Tip: There are better 4* hotels in London than this 5* wannabe
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Traveller891
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review which I was extremely saddened to read.
I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and would like to offer you my personal apologies for this. I have passed your comments onto the departments concerned who will follow up with your feedback straight away.
I can understand why you may not wish to return, but if you do change your mind, we would welcome another opporutnity to have you stay with us. If you do return, please let me know so I can have the pleasure of meeting with you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Had a wonderful stay back in January. Hotel is ideally centrally located in Mayfair and received a lovely upgrade due to my Carlson Gold status and the fact it was a special occasion.

From the furnishing to the finishings of the hotel & room everything was immaculate. Food was very good too...ordered room service and cannot fault what we received. Same applies for breakfast too...ample and good quality.

Staff were excellent..nothing was too much of a problem...extremely polite and efficient. A special mention to Stephanie the Guest relations manager...without a doubt one of the most professional and nicest guest relations staff I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Helped me make a special night that bit more special. She is a true credit to the hotel.

Also had a brief chat to the duty manager Sonny who also exemplary and offered outstanding customer service.

Would HIGHLY recommend and am looking forward to my next stay at The May Fair!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review which I was delighted to receive.
Your comments were a pleasure to read and thank you so much for your kind compliments about certain team members.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.