“Unmitigated Disaster”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #223 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Last time I stayed here there was no hot water for a couple of days. I can understand the hot water going out. I cannot understand how it takes that long to fix it. Had to endure two very cold showers -- it was November. Trying to get get updates from uniformed and unhelpful staff proved pointless. Nevertheless, I returned in December. In the space of 24 hours, I had to change rooms four times. The first room, faced onto a grim looking interior shaft. Picture "Bladerunner" and you get the idea. (Be very careful when getting a room assignment here, many of the rooms face onto these interior shafts.) The second room had a damp carpet, as I discovered after walking around barefoot and feeling the squishy carpet underfoot. Plus it smelled musty and mouldy. The third room was small and had a queen bed (I had booked a king) and again faced onto the interior shaft. The fourth room, my upgrade, was the smallest of them all and once more faced a wall. At this point I simply gave up.

But I wasn't the only one with problems. While waiting in the lobby for half an hour to get the key to my fourth room, at least half a dozen people came to the front desk to complain that they'd been waiting for hours to check into their rooms -- this was at 6 in the evening. One elderly couple complained that they'd been waiting for 4 hours.

Not sure who owns this property but it is a rare combination of sloppy management and incompetent staff.

Room Tip: Before you check-in, make sure you don't have a room facing an interior shaft or a wall. Many r...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I am so sorry that your stay with us was extremely disappointing and the rooms you were allocated you were unhappy with.
I would like to offer you my personal apologies with regards to the hot water and to assure you that all my team worked extremely hard to make all our guests comfortable at this most difficult time.
If you do return to stay with us, please do ask for me as I would really like to meet with you and discuss your concerns and to also give you a showround of the different types of rooms we have so we can find something more suitable for you.

There are newer reviews for The May Fair Hotel

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Come on. I am staying here 3 or 4 times a year. It is always the same! It would be so nice if the service would be better. Nothing is ever totally in place. Wifi is not working properly, the phone in my room was not properly working. Service is so slow for the breakfast... Come on or I will change my home in London.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rupertschmid
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for your review which I was disappointed to read.
I have taken note of your feedback and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will certainly follow this up with my Executive team.
We do hope you will continue to stay with us and please do make yourself known on your next arrival as I would welcome an opportunity to meet with you.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

For the first few nights I was a big fan of this hotel. After 50+ nights in hotels over the past 3 months the attentive service of the Concierge, the spacious rooms and bright bathrooms were a welcome relief. The hotel has tried to maintain relevance in a modern competitive environment with hip & modern nuances to a more stately theme, evidenced in an old-school wing chair upholstered in a bright red print and modern Asian artworks on the walls. While eclectic, the look is fun and not too over the top - like a lot of boutique hotels. The bar, lounge and restaurant are all also decorated with a modern touch and F&B are of a very high standard - including room service which had a robust menu, always arrived hot and the ingredients always very fresh. The Mayfair lets itself down in a few areas for example during my week-long stay there was no evidence of the carpet ever being vacuumed in my room. There are large gaps under all the doors to the rooms and if the hallways weren't carpeted and the guests were noisier it would make it difficult for a light sleeper to be confidently comfortable. Where I struggled with the Mayfair was accepting the less-than-honest nature of some of the staff. This is most definitely a hotel where you need to lock up every belonging either in the in-room safe or your own lockable suitcase.
I recommend this hotel for a business traveller, for tourists of all ages who want to be central but perhaps not for families with young children or the luxe traveler who wants peace of mind when leaving their belongings in their room during the day.

Room Tip: All rooms are quite dark, so if light is a key issue try to secure a room with windows opening to th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank LuxeTravelerHK
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay at the Hotel and would like to thank you for your compliments. I have taken note of your additional feedback and again thank you for this.
I was concerned to read that you feel our staff are less than honest. If you would like to elaborate further in an email to me, I would be grateful. However, our staff are all extremely trustworthy and follow strict security guidelines.
We do hope to welcome you back in the future and hopefully I will have the pleasure of meeting with you.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We were lucky enough to stay in the Azure Suite for the second year in a row for our Christmas 'gathering'. Great service from the Doormen, Andrey on front desk and the Guest Relations team. Sophie and Fatima done their best to accommodate us and did not disappoint. We met Ipek the next day for check out who was also lovely.

We hope they finally sort out the technology in the Azure Suite soon as the new slightly smaller suites look amazing!

See you next year guys!

Room Tip: Splash out on a Suite! Breakfast is nothing special for the price, better off hitting somewhere els...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Flynnnnnn

Thank you for your kind review.
I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your special mentions about our team here.
We look forward to welcoming you back next year!
With my best wishes,

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Rooms are big, clean and comfortable. Service is very good. A great location, in the center of Mayfair, very close to Picadilly circus, very close to New Bond, and close to Hyde Park. Lot's of restaurants and night life. Nobu is just next door. Excellent for Business or Family

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Just had an amazing 2 night stay at The May Fair, not one problem. Efficient check in, gorgeous room and no noise heard for 2 nights. Large spacious room with comfy bed & all area immaculately clean. Just as it should be.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Lyndseyh75

Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments are truly appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

big hotel , but service was excellent and the concierge very efficient , rooms are large enough.
very good breakfeast , and very very good location in London if you want to stay in Mayfair area .
next to the hotel is Nobu restaurant and a new restaurant called Novikov

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms 400 to 410 , it's a very long walk from them to the elevators , but rooms are...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tlen9

Thank you for your wonderful review.
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you will be returning in the future.
We very much look forward to looking after you again and until then, I send you my warmest wishes.