“Maybe 5* other times for but not for our 1st stay!”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #223 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and i have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Mayfair. Location wise, hotel is great. We arrived and the valet guys took care of the car whilst we checked in. Room was lovely - a studio suite. No views - just of the building opposite but we weren't too fussed about that.
We had pre dinner drinks at the bar - word of warning - this is no ordinary hotel bar! It's very much a magnet for the beautiful people with big money and is like a club come 10pm! We managed to get 2 seats at the early eve, but after that you have no chance. Luckily we booked a table in the bar both nights - it was SO packed! 15 min wait at bar but with table you get table service which was great. Dinner was lovely - like the hotel as a whole, it was very buzzy. Great food and great service.
Unfortunately, when we got back to our room Fri eve, there was no hot water. We were told it was an external problem and being looked into. Still nothing come Saturday morning - told it would be back on by 8pm but did not return in our room until 10.30am Sunday morning. So not hot water for the complete duration of our stay, which to be honest, for this hotel was absolutey unaccepable. We spent most of Saturday on and off the tube and to not be able to have a bath/shower that eve was not nice. We even tried filling the bath with our little kettle but in a 5* hotel, you should NOT be doing that to get ready for your Saturday night! Failed anyway.
Another gripe we had was the lifts. There were 3, but one out of order all weekend, and one of the other two only fitted four people comfortably. We waited AGES everytime we wanted to come and go - and being 7 floors up the lift was kind of a must! Was a real pain.
My final small gripe is the in room mini bar - well stocked but room temperature. Warm drinks are not good!
Breakfast was buffet but you could order other bits from menu. Good choice of hot and cold foods.
Took us a whole hour to check out Sunday morning from when we left our room - had to wait for lift for an age, then 30 mins queue to check out, then had to wait a further 20 mins for the car as someone lost our ticket.
That all really needs looking at. The lobby was packed - nowhere to sit...i felt stressed leaving & glad to be going home and that's not how a special weekend should come to an end.
We did get a discount so we were pleased that the water issue was recognised.
It could be and should be a great hotel but lots of issues need addressing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us.
I am so sorry that the hot water issue marred your weekend I would like to offer you my personal apologies. As you know all our residents were affected by this and all of the team here at The May Fair are extremely sorry for this and worked with their best efforts to have this rectified.
I have taken note of your feedback regarding the lifts and the mini bar which is completely unacceptable. I will be following up your feedback with the respective Heads of Department.
Again my sincere apologies to you and your husband.

There are newer reviews for The May Fair Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed in this hotel during the Olympics, at the same time as the FIFA delegates! It was quite amusing to see so many people in tracksuits in a hotel (not usually a barometer for quality!), but the staff coped very well with the increase in demand, and everything was in excellent condition.
Our room was huge, as a Club Carlson Concierge member we managed to get an upgrade which was good. The rooms generally seemed pretty decent, though. The bed was very comfortable, the room was very quiet and the bathroom/shower was amazingly clean.
The bar area is good, but there are a lot more interesting places to drink in the area.
Room service was prompt, but the breakfast is so, so expensive for what you get. There is nothing wrong with the quality of the food, and in fact it was a very tasty.
Location is great, just around the corner from Green Park tube. I have booked my family into this hotel for gifts in the past, they have always really enjoyed it, I think they run a decent hotel in a busy part of London. They deserve credit for keeping up the high levels of quality.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Greggbb
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during the Olympics.
Your comments are a real pleasure to read and I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete your review.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed for one night will not stay again. With so much competition in the area I think they need to sort themselves out.
One lift was broken the whole time I was there, took ages waiting for a lift (I was on a high floor so no I didn't want to walk)
Bar on a Friday night was absolutely packed, they should have a segregated area for hotel guests, It's impossible to even get to the bar to order a drink.
Then to top it all off no hot water available in the morning, so a cold shower and then outside into the 2 degrees winter weather - NICE.
Whilst I don't know what the issues are they should look up something that is called preventative maintenance. I.e ensure that things are well serviced so they do not break down! There is no excuse for this in a 5 star hotel. Next time I will revert to where I usually stay, Marriott Park Lane.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review which I was extremely saddened to read.
I have taken your points on board and I do appreciate you giving me your feedback as I will always take this constructively. With regards to your point about the bar, I would like to take this opportunity to advise you that we do indeed have another bar which is in our restaurant Quince. This bar has more of a quiet atmosphere.
With regards to the hot water, this was most unfortunate and all our residents were affected and again, my sincere apologies to you. All the team here at The May Fair are extremely sorry for this and worked with their best efforts to have this rectified.
I do hope you will reconsider staying here with us again as I would like to have another opporutnity to welcome you back. If you do change your mind, please do let my office know won't you.
With best wishes,

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights this weekend. Clambering through the doors with a heavy suitcase and 30 minutes in the queue to check-in. I arranged for my dress to be pressed for 5pm as I had an event to attend at 6pm. My very expensive room looked on to a brick wall. NO HOT WATER from the Friday evening until Sunday morning in the entire hotel. Room service food was barely warm and it took 1 1/2 hours and 3 phone calls for the cold apple crumble to appear. Staff were barely polite. At least they discounted the final bill for lack of hot water but the fact it happened is a joke. Had to carry my case down several flights of stairs as one lift was out of order and I waited over 20 mins for the lift before I gave up. Check was a joke with long queues too - stay clear of this so called 5* hotel as in my opinion it is nowhere close.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for your review which I was extremely concerned to read.
I am just so sorry for this most disappointing stay and I would like to offer you my personal apologies for the unacceptable level of service you experienced. Your comments will be addressed and I will personally be following up your feedback with those responsibile.
I really do hope this does not deter you from returning to The May Fair as I would love to have another opportunity to welcome you to the Hotel. If you do return, please do let my office know so I can have the pleasure of meeting with you.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We get to London quite often, but usually stay with family in Hammersmith so I was excited at the prospect of a few nights in the middle of the action...and the May Fair delivered that. Great location, nice vibe, and the best hotel breakfast I've come across. That's on the positive side.
On the negative side, the room was disappointing...smallish, one tiny window looking into a fluorescent glowing office building, no comfortable seating and no closet at all but only some hanging and drawer space in the otherwise delightful bathroom.
But it was the service that left the most to desire. The breakfast was indeed delicious but we waited up to 10 minutes to get a cup of coffee virtually every morning and no refills were forthcoming...and were only offered toast once and then only as our breakfast plates were being removed. I reported to the front desk that my reading lamp was burned out on the morning after our arrival...it was still burned out 3 days later at checkout despite me bringing it to their attention on 2 more occasions.
Bottom line...I would happily return to the May Fair but with my expectations in check and definitely with a backlit ereader.

Room Tip: Watch out for rooms that small of cigar smoke
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us but I was so sorry to hear of the disappointing service you received. I will certainly follow up your feedback with the departments concerned and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I am pleased to hear you will be returning to The May Fair as I would really like you to experience the Hotel at its best and would ask that you make me aware of when you next return, so I can perhaps say hello.
With my warmest wishes,

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We asked to see different rooms when we arrived as we were surprised to see tiny cupboards, completely unsuitable for a week’s stay. The rooms vary enormously in size and the only other option for us was open hanging space and drawers in the bathroom, which we also really disliked and found inconvenient and unexpected in a hotel of this high standard. The lack of a vanity mirror in the bathroom was another surprise and with low lighting, it was extremely difficult to apply make-up or wear contact lenses. This hotel is expensive and we expected more, things that we believed should be standard. We went across the road to Boots to buy soap and shampoo as we also disliked the very clinical smell of those supplied by the hotel. The rooms were spotlessly clean.

On the plus side, we really liked the wonderfully comfortable mattress and pillows, so much so, that we want to buy the mattress. The breakfasts were excellent and had the best choices anywhere for anyone who is health conscious. I would have liked some brie or camembert but that is all. The location of this hotel is excellent, with so much of the West End’s best within easy reach. Niggles in the bedroom but all in all we had a very enjoyable stay, thank you

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bld211
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I was sorry to hear that you were unhappy with certain aspects of your stay and I would like to thank you for bringing this feedback to my attention. I will certainly follow up your points.
Thank you too for your compliments about our beds and I am so pleased you liked them so much.
It was a pleasure to look after you and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was my 2nd stay at the May Fair, almost 1 year to the day since the first and for the same business reason. This time I treated myself to an upgrade room and it was worth it. The room was great, very comfortable and nice and clean. It's hard to beat the location, just 5 minutes walk from Green Park/Piccadilly and not much more up to Oxford Street.
The only negative is the value - we ordered a single coffee on room service and it was nearly £8 which is frankly ridiculous.
If money isn't an issue, stay here, but there might be better value places nearby for the same level of service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GorillaFoot

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and this was your second visit to The May Fair.
I was sorry to hear you felt our Room Service prices were excessive and I will certainly follow this up with my Director of Food & Beverage.
We do hope to welcome you back soon and perhaps I will have the pleasure of meeting with you next time you visit.