“OK stay - if only we could give half marks -3.5.”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #224 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at The May Fair here for one night on 29th September 2012.

I'll keep it brief and to the point. For a 5 star hotel we expected just that little bit more.

Good points:
The room was quiet
The bed was comfy
The shower powerful
The location was excellent

Not so good (but not the end of the world):
Check-in and check-out were both on the slow side.
The lifts were slow and large queues formed on each floor.
A nice idea of hiding the TV in the wardrobe was spoiled that you couldn't open the adjacent wardrobes so the TV had be moved back in regularly - not very practical!
The TV remote looked like somebody's dog had been at it (room 623).
The phone in the room was broken.
No pool! I took it as a given that 5 Star hotels had pools - needn't have packed my swimmers..

For us, the deal breaker was the lack of a residents bar. The bar in the hotel is a disco bar with a DJ and queues to get a drink - not the place to unwind after dinner; in fact it just put a bit of a downer on our evening as we were looking forward to unwinding.

Synopsis - Not really a 5 Star hotel, the little things just took the edge off. We won't stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us but sorry to hear you found our May Fair bar too busy for you. We do have another bar which is adjoining to our restaurant, Quince. This has a far more relaxed atmosphere and feel this would have suited you better.
I have taken note of your additional feedback and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I am so sorry to hear you have said you wont stay with us again and I do hope you will recosider as we would be delighted to welcome you back on a future occasion.
With my best wishes,

There are newer reviews for The May Fair Hotel

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the May Fair for a week during March this year. It is actually the third time we have stayed here, but never again! Honestly their standards and service have been rapidly declining over the last couple of years.

This time we had issues with rude staff, bathrooms flooding, TV not working, air-conditioning failing. And after all of this guess what they did to try and apologise for the problems……NOTHING!

Do yourself a favour and book elsewhere. For the money they are charging there are a multitude of other options. We are just grateful that it was my wife’s company picking up the tab this time and not us.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ExpatNB

Thank you for your review.
I was very concerned to read your comments and I am just so sorry you were extremely unhappy with your stay.
I would like to discuss this with you in more detail and would be grateful if you would kindly contact my office directly.
I hope to hear from you soon.
With best wishes,

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a posh hotel - it's not cheap, but it's so worth it. My husband and I stayed here for the beginning of our Honeymoon. We stayed for 3 nights and the hotel upgraded us as we had just got married. How lovely.

The bed is the best thing about this hotel. We slept so well, it was so comfie. The hotel was quiet too. Oh it was all good - we will be returning!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review.
I was thrilled to learn you had a wonderful stay with us in celebration of your Wedding and may I take this opportunity to wish you both "Congratulations"!
We do hope to welcome you back again soon and in the meantime, I send you my warmest wishes.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Considering that this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel I found the service here to be really sloppy and poor.

The afternoon tea isn't much to write about and if I had have had to pay for it I would have been disappointed.

In the bar the staff were just standing round in front of everyone counting all the spare change they had been given in tips whilst we were waiting to be served. In the end I had to ask to be served then got charged 12.5% service... nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paddy-The-Jew

Thank you for your review.
I was extremely concerned to learn that you were unhappy with the service you received. The points you have highlighted are extremely disappointing and I will certainly be following this up with my Director of Food and Beverage so thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I do hope this will not deter you from returning to The May Fair as I would like you to experience the Hotel as one should do.
With best wishes,

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great location central to Green Park and the usual London attractions.

Public areas of the hotel were spacious, and very clean. All staff very helpful.

Our room was a standard room and nicely furnished. Bed comfortable, free wifi in the room, bathroom clean and tidy.

Considering there is a busy road outside the sound proofing was very good.

But... for a 5 star hotel a few details in the room were lacking. There were 2 power sockets that did not work. The phone by the bed had been ripped out of its socket and bare wired hung from the wall. The TV (which is old and not a modern flat screen) appeared to only have standard channels (no films, or premium services).

Another annoyance was that I was tired when arriving and wanted to sleep. 30 mins after arriving I was woken by the phone ringing (there were 2 phones). It was house keeping checking all was good with the room. 30 mins later I was woken again by the door bell. It was House keeping again, checking all was good with the room. 30 mins later I was woken AGAIN by the Concierge letting me know if we needed anything we could call him. I needed everyone to stop disturbing me!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay here at The May Fair but extremely disappointed to hear of the problems you experienced in your room. This is something which should have been picked up by Housekeeping and I will be following this up with my Executive Head Housekeeper.
I was also very sorry to learn that you were disturbed by phone calls in your room. I would like to advise you that the Operator could have arranged for your phone to be put on DND for you which would have stopped people disturbing you.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
With my best wishes,

Reviewed October 5, 2012

To understand my review I am coming from park hayat Milan where I spent 4 nights it was worth rating a 5 star hotel.  And was planning to spend same no of nights in London and trying new hotel  we have chosen May Fair because it's at my favorite district and it's suppose to be a 5 star hotel  ( I stayed in Berkely nights bridge and many times in Athunuem which was as home away from home in pervious visits ) ). So when first checked in May Fair my booking was an interconnected Delux rooms with king bed in both rooms single occupancy and was advised by the reservation team of paying in advance to save few pounds , and she was very nice through the phone.  But when it came to reality I was checked into a a disabled room connected with a superior room !! And when I refused to stay  the front office said we can't do much it's late !!!! And in the morning will seek the advise of the duty manager ?!? How in earth am going to sleep and use the toilets that is prepared for a wheel chaired person and beside what astonished me that this reply should not come from what supposed to be a 5 star luxury ( didn't see luxury ) hotel !!!
Finally I been given another ONE room for the night  in a different floor after an hour of negotiation !!!!! As if it was my fault  and it was 1 am  . In the morning on my new far from my sister's room I was a waken at 7 am first by a wrong phone  call although my DND sign was ON and at 8 by knocking noises fixing the elevator next to my room !!! I called duty manager to complain and see the status of my accommodation wether they figure out the misunderstanding , and surprisingly he seemed as he didn't know anything and no one has left him a note from last night and not only that he said about the noise that the hotel currently is NOT going under any maintenance !!!!!! So in another word he was saying to my face that I am Lying (what a luxury hotel this is !!!? )   And will send someone to see the source  of that noise ( didn't see a soul coming !!!! ) and connected me to the front desk to sort my problem !! Front desk gave me an option to a set of smaller connected rooms a superior  but mid of the day waiting for the other Clients to check out and about the noise casually he answered well yah there is elevator maintenance going on next to my room !!!! (no sincere apology ) . And we where accommodated in that new superior ( I paid for delux ) around 4 pm.  No single apology from them no word of the rate difference and no compensation of the whole hustle.  We came to check this hotel for fututre bookings with my kids and family, And defiantly After this experience. Will not and will not recommend . It's not Only the status of the rooms and weird dispenser type amenities in toilets it's their manner and their management of the whole situation.
More to say when shifting from room to another I misplaced my Chanel earrings and reported that  , I can tell you until  this moment no word I have received from them !!!!.  I choose expensive hotel to avoid this type of hustle.    it's one of the worst experience I went through.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank M_almoalla

Thank you for writing a review.
I was extremely concerned to read your comments and I would like to offer you my personal apologies for the obvious inconvenience and disappointment you experienced.
I will certainly follow this up with my Front of House Manager.
I have spoken to our Executive Head Housekeeper with regards to your earrings and unfortunately these have not been handed into us or found by our team. We will of course keep a log of this and will certainly contact you should they be found.
I really am sorry for your experience and would welcome an opportunity to have you stay with us again. If you do decide to return, please do let my office know so I can peronally meet with you.
In the meantime, I send my best wishes,

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Could not fault our stay, everything was perfect from our smooth Check in to the cleanliness of the room. We popped out on the evening and found that our room had been attended to - even though we had only been there for a few hours.

The staff were incredibly friendly throughout the hotel, really couldn't fault them.

Location was perfect, walking distance to Bond St, Oxford St, Leicester Square & Covent Garden.

• Stayed: October 2012
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for your kind review.
I was thrilled to read your comments and thank you so much for your kind compliments. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we very much hope to welcome you back again soon.
With my warmest wishes,