“Cigar Lounge”

Ranked #220 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Cigar Lounge”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Great Hotel which is full of class, the new addition in the Cigar Lounge is very elegant and a perfect gentlemans club. Our Waiter was 'Rohit' - who was fantastic. Not only in his knowledge of all of the cigars, cognacs etc but made the whole evening a better night. I understand he has recently got a promotion which isnt supprising. I have never wrote on a site like this before so it just gives you an indication of the impression he gave of himself and the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was delighted to read your comments about our Cigar Room and so pleased you enjoyed your visit. Thank you also for your kind comments about Rohit and please do rest assured I will pass on your compliments to him.
We hope to welcome you back on a future occasion.
With my best wishes,
Anthony Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've stayed here for one week in April 2011 and just returned from another week stay last week.

First the positives - and clearly there are lots of positives otherwise I wouldn't have returned. The location is awesome - a 2 minute walk to Green Park tube, Old Bond St., Hop On & Off Tour, the Ritz and Wolseley - to name a few. A grocery store right across the road which is super convenient - plus 2 Starbucks within 2 minute walk.

The bed is very comfortable, bathroom is lux (love the tub with built in TV) and hotel overall is very comfortable and upscale. I wish they had a mini-fridge in the room though - they have a pay mini-bar but you can't store your own stuff in it. All my dealings with hotel staff have been lovely so I was quite excited to return again.

However, on my recent stay from August 17 - 24 there were some serious noise issues the hotel needs to address. My first morning there (Saturday) the fire alarm went off at 6am. Painful. My room fronted onto Berkeley St on the third floor (room 340) with a view of Nobu across the road. I didn't realize there's a nightclub that's opened beside Nobu. This nightclub is out of control. Until well past 2am I was kept awake by screaming girls and honking cars as drunken guests stumbled out of the nightclub. At one point the screams were so severe I thought I was going to have to call the front desk to call for help for her. But when I peeked out the window it seemed her drunk boyfriend was trying to tackle the security guards at the club (who clearly were ineffective) causing quite a stir. I even put in the ear plugs I'd received on the plane - but they didn't help.

The next morning I inquired about this nightclub and the hotel staff said they'd had lots of complaints about the nightclub and said it's open from Tuesday - Saturday. I asked for, and got a room transfer far away from the noise - room 865 which looked onto the courtyard but I'd rather have peace and quiet than a view. This room was equally nice although the frequent room buzzers from neighbouring rooms were a constant disruption in both rooms.

Last year I stayed in room 328 which fronted onto Stratton and was much quieter - so if noise is a concern for you I'd recommend insisting on a courtyard room or a room fronting onto Stratton when you book.

Room Tip: If noise is a concern for you I'd recommend insisting on a courtyard room or a room fronting ont...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I am happy to hear that you have returned and for all the good reasons. I am however very sorry for the issues you faced with the noise levels from the club across the street. I am glad we were able to offer you a new room.
Thank you for the points raised, rest assured they will be discussed over the next meeting in order to find ways to reduce noise levels, especially between room to room.
We hope we will have the chance to welcome you back once again,
Warmest wishes,
frome, somerset
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We have stayed here a few times over the past 2 years and over all it is a lovely place to stay.

When you walk through the doors, you are met with a lovely smell of air spray, which is continually sprayed. Nice! The staff are very friendly and efficient and because we have stayed here a few times, we always seem to get a free upgrade. Another nice touch!

The rooms are very clean and nice. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom new and modern. My only criticism is that because this is a party hotel, you will probably be disturbed in the early hours by other guests returning to their rooms, banging on incorrect doors, with shouting and laughing added for good measure!

Breakfast is ok, but pricey. We tend to go out for breakfast instead, but we would stay here again, because, depsite my only criticism, it is nice and in a great location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
We are very happy to have you as a regular guest and we are always happy in giving you that recognition that you deserve.
Our apologies if some disruptive guests may have caused inconvenience. I do hope you made our Reception aware of this and apologies were made.
Thank you once again for your continuous support,
Kindest regards,
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

When a hotel makes such a big deal out of calling themselves a 5-star luxury hotel, you expect it to be absolute perfection. Well, it wasn't...
We checked in early, but the room they gave us had a queen bed and not the king bed that we booked. And the room was so small, you could hardly open the door without hitting the corner of the bed. We went down to get the right room and the receptionist said that the bed we had was a king bed, but that she would see if she could get us another room. When we got to the new room, the difference in bedsize was obvious.... There was no iPod docking station in the room, although advertised and one of our bathrobes had stains up the sleeves. The breakfast order slip was already filled in and the complimentary water had already been opened.

After spending the day around London, we were looking forward to a good nights sleep.... It was, until an alarm woke us up around 5am. We asked the receptionist at check out what the alarm was, and he told us it was the fire alarm.... But he didn't even offer a simple apology.

5 star luxury.....? Not even close....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have described in your review of our hotel. Naturally I am very disappointed and would like to reassure you that your experience is not indicative of our usual service standards. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so that I may dedicate personal attention to the concerns you have raised.
Kind regards,
London
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The May Fair is in a formidable location - across the road from Nobu, two minutes walk from the Wolsely.

However, the garish decor of the bedrooms can partly explain why the foyer is filled with z-list reality TV stars and their hangars on, who all seem to be staying at the hotel.

The bar is extremely tacky and the clientèle just as trashy.

This hotel has all the hallmarks of a top rated hotel, yet disappoints with its own clientèle.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank andrew l
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am sorry to have given you such a perception of this hotel however thank you for the comments in regards to the location and the vote for cleanliness.
If you would like to discuss the matter further please do contact my office directly.
Until then, we very much hope to welcome you back on a future occasion.
Kindest regards,
Solon, Ohio
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Similar to a previous reviewer, we also had an issue with 600+ British Pounds charged to our credit card as a security deposit, however, we were NOT informed of this practice upon check-in. We were requested to provide a credit card which is normal procedure in the United States, however, charging "in advance" to the tune of nearly $1,000.00 US for our 1week stay was NOT disclosed. The card we provided was in British Pounds, and we intended to use this card for dinners, and the like. We, unfortunately, were unable to get this issue resolved for 3 DAYS after numerous calls and personal requests, though we provided our high-limit credit card as a replacement. Had we been informed upon check-in, this inconvenience could have been avoided, however, no attempt at an apology was offered to us. As another reviewer noted, making eye contact appears to be a challenge. Check out was equally as cold. As an American, I am used to engaging in conversation and offering a smile to anyone who provides a service. Sadly, I was not given the opportunity.

In terms of our room, (a 2 Queen Bed/2 Bath) it perfectly met our needs. We were on the second floor, away from the elevators as I requested upon check-in. (I did, however, request this in advance in two e-mails that went unanswered). The room was clean, beds comfortable, and bathrooms spacious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to hear about your issues and I will bring these up with our Head of Department as it is our standard procedure to always warn of the authorisation charges whilst checking in.
Thank you also for the feedback you have provided and I am happy we were able to guarantee your requests prior to arrival.
We very much hope to welcome you back on a future occasion.
Until then, we send you our warmest wishes,
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We wanted somewhere a little special and in the heart of London for our 10th wedding anniversary and we weren't disappointed. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left every member of staff was friendly, courteous, unpretensious and helpful. The room was beautifully appointed, spacious, modern and incredibly comfortable. The bar was vibrant and casino unintimidating; the staff were happy and patient enough to advise a pair of novices too (ended the night £50 up)! To complete a perfect weekend complimentary champagne, chocolates and strawberries were delivered to our room as an unexpected and wonderful surprise. The hotel's fantastic location also allowed easy walking access to the parks, Soho and the rest of the West End. We shall return...

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank JeremyandNatalie
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your special occasion with us. The feedback you have provided is very kind and I am happy that our Guest Relations Team was able to make your stay a little extra special.
I will pass on the feedback to the staff in the Casino.
Looking forward to your next visit,
Warmest wishes to both,