“Nice Hotel with a Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #210 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Malibu, California
“Nice Hotel with a Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed at The May Fair just before the Queen's Jubilee. It was my first time in London and this hotel was great because of the location. Sure it was very comfortable and very well kept, but I liked that I could just walk to most places. If I could not walk the Tube was a block away. Has a nice hotel restaurant with bar, as well as one of the most popular night spots in the area The May Fair Bar. Room was nice big for the European standard. Staff was great, I would for sure stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank thecolonel1215
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location to be convenient. Your comments are very much appreciated about the team, so thank you for this.
We hope to welcome you back soon.
With best wishes,
Anthony Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

After our disaster from the Grafton Edwardian (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d192261-r128288930-Radisson_Blu_Edwardian_Grafton_Hotel-London_England.html) we had the opportunity to spend a night in the May Fair to redo our wedding night.
It was excellent ! From the check-in until the check-out...

The check-in was flawless and personalised. We've been explained about everything we needed to know about the hotel and the breakfast for the following day.

Once in the room we discovered a massive bedroom with a king size bed, a massive built-in wardrobe with all you need inside (iron, board, duvets, pillows...) a table with some fruit, water and cutlery and a flat screen tv.
The bathroom (one step down please) was gorgeous with a bath AND a shower (plus the usual)
The only issue was with the hot water that wasn't working (nor the heating system for that matter) but it was just temporary as there was a resetting of the boiler happening at the same time as we tried to get wet.

The following day, we went for breakfast far from realising that a whole table of cereal dried fruits, juices were waiting for us next to the bar counter where all sort of fruits, cheeses, savory dishes (and salads), fry-up (on order for the eggs) were eyeing us too...

Once again the service was just excellent, friendly enough and non intrusive.

It is a very nice hotel, well situated next to Green Park, Piccadilly and Hyde park.
If you want to lush out and enjoy something special with someone special this is the one...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jingeos
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for your review.
Your comments are truly appreciated and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay here at The May Fair.
We very much hope to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.
Until then, I send you my warmest wishes,
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Just returned from celebrating Fathers day weekend with our three little girls in London. From the moment we arrived in the beautiful foyer we were greeted by friendly and very efficient staff. We were a little concerned as to whether our little ones would feel out of place. Not at all!! The family room was incredily spacious, with lovely little touches of a bowl of fruit and chocolates for the girls and their very own slippers and robes!!! They were delighted . The location was just perfect literally a minute walk from Underground Station or a lovely stroll to Buckingham Palace. The shopping nearby is just wonderful as are the restaurants. This was the first time we had brought our girls here and they couldnt have made us more welcome. The breakfasts were incredible whether you chose to eat from the buffet or a la carte. We will always choose to come back , fabulous hotel, amenities and location!! Incredibly friendly and attentive staff. Thank you for making our Fathers Day weekend so special!!!

Room Tip: Family Rooms have two queen size beds but they also added an extra single for our littlest at NO Ext...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelepemberton
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was absolutely delighted to learn how much you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and may I say it was pleasure to look after you.
We very much hope to be afforded the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.
Until then, I send you my very best wishes,
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed for the Jubilee weekend so as expected was very busy but still staff were very friendly and as soon as we arrived at about 12 we were given our room. Even though the concierge team were busy they still had time to show us how to get to the Coldplay concert and after the show they even remembered to ask us how it was, it's always nice to be remembered! Had dinner at the hotel and have to say it was lovely and well worth the money. The location could not have been more convenient and have to say I would return again should I get it on an offer again. Thank you very much to all the staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica_iom
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for writing a review.
I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your kind feedback.
We do hope to welcome you back on another occasion soon.
Until then, I send you my best wishes,
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed at the hotel over the Jubliee Weekend. Kindly enough my friend got me and mom who was over from American an amazing rate which included breakfast and tax. The hotel was in a fantastic location, seen as we had never been to London before it was great to be so close to all of the major sights and rail links. The hotel over all was outstanding the facilities were beautiful. The only down side are the certain staff; at 2am my mom needed to go the A&E. When trying to call to the reception, the switchboard sent the call through to the front desk that didn't answer the phone. After trying one more time and indicating yet again that we needed a taxi to the closest A&E - the call finally reached a concierge who asked me for the postcode of where we needed to go. If I was from London and knew the area well - the not a problem!! But I don't know London at all and he made me get the postcode from my phone myself. He ordered me a private car which cost me £25.00 to get to the hospital and took 20 minuets to arrive. With such an incident you would think that more assistance would have been offered and a sense of urgency would have been noted. Whilst waiting for a taxi in the reception, a number of black cabs went past - would have thought someone would have indicated that it might have been easier to flag one down rather than wait for the one through the hotel - are you been incentivized for calling taxi's from this specific company. You would think that such a GREAT hotel would have such procedures in place if someone indicates that they need a A&E or hospital in the early hours of the morning. My friend spoke to the Duty manger the next morning with regards to the incident. Both myself and her are still awaiting a response which were suppose to come through after out stay.... hmmmm wonder how long we may be waiting for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MJ F
Thank you for your review.
First and foremost, I was so sorry to learn of the difficulties you experienced with regards to getting to the hospital and I do hope your Mum is now fully recovered. I will certainly be following up your comments with the Front of House Department and please do accept my personal apologies for this.
I was pleased to hear, however, that you were happy with the Hotel and enjoyed your stay.
If you would like to discuss the problem you experienced in more detail with me, please do contact my office.
Until then, I send both you and your Mum my warmest wishes,
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at The May Fair for a week during the Jubilee celebrations and I cannot tell you how glad I am that I chose to do so. I must confess that I was ever so slightly preoccupied by some of the negative reviews posted on here.

I neededn't have worried, as just about everything ran as smoothly as smooth can be, from the friendly welcome at reception, to my (deluxe) room being ready three hours earlier (on a high floor, with a front view, as I had requested), from the dry cleaning being swiftly taken away and punctually returned (not as easy as it sounds when you've got 4 holiday days in the way), to speedy room service, great shoe shine, plentiful toiletries, secondary double-glazing, a Brabantia ironing board with a fully-functional iron (not as obvious a comment as it sounds, believe me, just travel a bit for work and see what you find), a fab trouser press, exceedingly spacious bathroom, turndown service and then some.

When I noted that the TV was not working, an engineer was despatched to the room and the problem was fixed within half an hour. When I rang downstairs for nail polish, I was told that they had none but that a member of staff would go out and get it immediately. When I called for tea early one morning, ill and hoarse as I was, it was delivered with a plateful of cookies 'to make me feel better'. And so on and so forth.

In terms of complaints, I don't really have any... Unfortunately, the hairdryer is one of those cheapo ones screwed into the wall, but that's not exactly a deal breaker, I'll just have to pack my 2200W animal next time. I found that I had to plug the GHD outside of the bathroom as there was no plug near a mirror but, again, not a complaint, merely a fact.

As for the toiletries being cheap and nasty, as written by someone below, I have to say that they are not. They are BeeKind toiletries which have a reputation for being organic and linked to the bee research centre at the Uni of California. If you really dislike them... hey, get thee to Fortnum's down the road, it's only ten minutes away on foot. Oh and by the way, the cotton buds, cotton balls and nail file in the bathroom get my 5* vote too. Believe it or not, I've only ever found all three at Claridge's and at The Waldorf Astoria. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Ask and thou shall get.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanella
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review, this really is appreciated.
Your comments were a delight to read and I am just so pleased you enjoyed your stay here with us and were well looked after.
We very much hope to welcome you back again soon and perhaps I will have the pleasure of meeting you on your next stay.
With my warmest wishes,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

After several nights and conferences both personal and business hosted at the May Fair Hotel I decided to introduce my network to the venue to sample the beautiful cocktails and in turn the accommodation. Last year my wife and I stayed again at the venue again and it never fails to please. From the moment you step into that beautiful check in area to the comfort of the room – a seamless and flawless experience!

Forget the surrounding hotels, stayed at nearly all of them; this really is the top trump! I plan to book again when I get a moment for my Wife’s birthday this August; this really is a special place…subtle class at its best!

Room Tip: The studios are fabulous!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and your comments are very much appreciated.
We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to The May Fair for your wife's birthday in August.
With my best wishes,