“First rate..”

Ranked #214 of 1,064 Hotels in London
New York
“First rate..”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the May Fair and had a wonderful time there. We were well attended by all the staff and the room we stayed in was beautiful.... the bed was a dream. Well done.

Room Tip: Ask for Monique at the desk.... she is the consummate receptionist.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was delighted to read this and so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Your compliments about Monique are very much appreciated too.
We very much hope to welcome you back soon.
With best wishes,
Anthony Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Why oh why do customer service people ask if there is anything they can do to help when they actually can't be bothered to follow through? Two annoying things on my last stay - firstly being told it was not too late to get my laundry done same day (it was, the truck had left and my stuff had to be taxied to another location). it was my fault I was late, but don't tell me to wait in my room for a pick-up that will not happen and possibly miss the chance to get the laundry done at all.

Second, when I told Customer Service I really wanted my breakfast to be on time the next morning and that was the thing they could help with. I got the normal platitude of "I am sure it will be sir". Of course it arrived at the last moment (6:45 when ordered for 6:30am) meaning my day started with a rushed checkout and taxi across town. Don't ask if you can't help. If you do get a request, for heaven's sake follow it up becuase I was more annoyed that my request was not met than if I had neber got the "can i help you with anything" call in the first place!

Still I will be back, I like the hotel and the location is truly excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was sorry to read your comments and would like to take this opportunity of offering you my personal apologies. You are quite right and I am just so sorry that the follow through was not adhered to. I will be following this up with the departments concerned.
I am pleased to hear that you will be returning to The May Fair and we all very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
With best wishes,
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I booked a reward room last minute at the Mayfair and was not disappointed. I was staying with a friend so booked a twin room. On arrival we were upgraded to a large family twin room so we would have more space. The room was very nice and the bathroom was small but perfectly equipped. The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The hotel is in a fabulous location just a hop skip and a jump from Green Park tube station.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with your friend and thank you so much for your kind comments about the team here.
We very much hope to welcome you both back again.
Boxford
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed at the May Fair for 4 days. It was very convienently located. Near the Green park tube. After taking 1 hour and approx $70 to go 4 miles we realized the tube or walking was the only way to get around London.The hotel was very clean and modern.During the week it was filled with business people and vacationers like us. But on the weekend it was the party hotel. We were on the 8th floor and were up all night listening to loud music and footsteps. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from since the elevator only showed 8 floors? Turns out the penthouse was on the top floor.The room we rented was small. The bath was modern and clean but you couldn't shower without the black marble floors getting wet and slippery.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paulagreen
Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to learn that you were happy with the cleanliness of the Hotel but I was so sorry to learn that you were disturbed during the evening. I do hope you made our Reception aware of this and apologies were made.
If you do return to The May Fair, please let my office know so we can take care of the arrangements for you and ensure you are allocated one of our quieter rooms.
Until then, I send you my best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Dont let the name fool you. Hotel is poor... rooms are small even with london standards, mind you i got the cheapest room they had i think it was a superior double room (any smaller it would have been a superior cupbord) reception is always busy and noisy because of the bar in the lobby. I have no idea why its a 5 * star other than the location which is upper market, but even the location is not ideal for a tourist (much better locations try nottinghill gate, marble arch or bayswater) I think this hotel would be fine with a solo business traveller for a couple of days and even then be sure the company pays for it; it is seriously overpriced and not worth half of the price tag. when checking in the assistant she offered to show us the room personally, we said yes and we regretted it, kept telling us how to use standard amenities in there cupbord, we had to stop her half way as we nearly fell asleep (good touch gone wrong).

But in all fairness, they had an unbelievably comfortable bed, everthing else was dissapointing and expensive and old.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seetheworld30
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was very disappointed to read this and so sorry this is your impression of The May Fair.
I have taken on board your comments and would like to thank you for your feedback.
vancouver
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I did not sleep at the hotel, but, was given a tour of the facilities and a number of Rooms. This is a remodelled beauty. Great location, amazing Restaurant with a Chef who specialized in contemporary Middle Eastern Cuisine..AMAZING....Rooms are all re-done-modern decor beautiful designs in the Raddison Blu Edwardian tradition, but up scale. The Bar is the place to see and to be seen...friendly staff, lovely location and worth the experience.
Its obviously not in expensive, but...you get top quality. The CEO's will love it as will most who want this type level quality. Quite beautifull

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ruben G
Thank you for your kind review.
Your comments about the Hotel and our team here are truly appreciated.
We do hope to welcome you to stay with us soon and it would also be a pleasure to meet with you personally.
Until then, I send you my warmest wishes,
ZURICH
Reviewed May 27, 2012

The location is awesome. The hotel itself is definitely overrated.

The rooms are a tired.

Staff is unhelpful and sometimes even rude and snobby. Queues for check-in.

Nothing at this hotel refelcts the "luxury" and it`s definitely not 5*.

At the hotel generally, everyone from the reception to the other staff makes you feel like you beeing mass processed - at a luxury price.

Room service is good - especially the afternoon tea.

If you`re looking for that kind of service, a cheap hostel will do it for you. You save at least 300 £ per night

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JIMMYDEFARGO
Thank you for your review.
I was so sorry to read your comments and that you have been left with this impression of The May Fair. This is certainly not the standards we strive to achieve here.
Your comments have been taken on board and I would like to thank you for your feedback.
I was, however, very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the afternoon tea from Room Service.