“worth a visit”

Ranked #45 of 1,589 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Open to all visitors seven-days-a-week, this superb building by Sir Colin St John Wilson offers events, special exhibitions and a Treasures Gallery that displays over 200 items, including Magna Carta, a Gutenberg Bible and lyrics by the Beatles.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We have never been in here before but found it fascinating and spent the morning there before catching our train home. Will visit it again on our next trip and will recommend it to friends and family. Well worth calling in.

Visited January 2014

• Turkish first
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“the library an attraction, you betcha”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

you might not consider a library a holiday tourist designation but then you would be missing out. The British Library has an amazing collection spanning from the Codex to the manuscript for the Beatles 'Help'. During our stay in London there was a very interesting exhibition of life in Georgian times. It was well worth the visit. We just wish we had more time to spend there.

Visited January 2014
Santa Monica, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Best place to study in London! Don't go anywhere else. Everything you need here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I'm a law student, and I refuse to study at my own school, so I checked out a ton of places in London before stumbling upon this treasure. of all the places I visited: cafes, starbucks, libraries, this was THE BEST spot to study. First of all, it's HUGE. there is a restaurant and a cafe.
LOADS OF PLACES TO SIT AND STUDY! free wifi, and open late on Tuesdays I think.
You don't need to reserve a special study room. Just go up to the cafe and find an open table. you can sit OR stand! I get tired after sitting for 8 straight hours, so sometimes I like to stand and the desks were the right height for standing at them as well! it's great!

Coffee & food is pricy, but I went everyday, and after spending 15 pounds on breakfast, lunch, and a couple coffees the first day, I caught on and brought my own food! I didn't spend a dime after my first day there when I realized I could bring my own food. there are restrooms and water fountains right near the cafe.

There are loads of seats in the cafe, lots of small spaces with power outlets by most of them. there are seats just outside the cafe too, near the restaurant. Or sit at the tables in the restaurant!
On your break, take a visit to the little gallery they have on the second floor. See the original Magna Carta! Original Beatles lyrics, and other treasures. There's a mini museum in there!

just don't leave your laptop unattended or the security will come see it and report it.

I went in the winter, but I'd imagine the summer outdoor seating is beautiful too! Ample space to study outside (just no power outlets for your laptop)

PERFECT study spot! wish it was open even later!

Visited December 2013
5 Thank luckieleo5408
Lavenham
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A fascinating place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I love books; I collect books; I devour books - and yet, unbelievably I had never been to the British Library - until just before Christmas. Initially the intention was to go to the Georgians Revealed exhibition (we did - well worth a visit, for a superbly curated, fascinating and illuminating insight into all aspects of the Georgian life) but in fact we spent a great deal of time before that - first enjoying the Childrens' Illustrators mini-exhibition, then looking at some of the philately collection, then a good hour or so with the Treasures of the British Library exhibits - including Guttenburg bibles, ancient religious manuscripts, a letter from Queen Elizabeth I (when Princess) to her brother the King, maps and also some original scribbled Beatles lyrics . An amazing place - and one that will now feature as a regular stop in our London trips!

Visited December 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
547 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,201 helpful votes
“You may be here a while!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Apparently, they get a copy of every new book. They have Magna Carta and lots of other treasures, including some of the Beatles' lyrics. Whatever you like to read or research, you'll find it here...

8 Thank Howi58