“The tour makes it!”

The London Bridge Experience and Thames River Cruise
Ranked #195 of 1,676 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visit this living-history museum and find out what it was like to sail the mighty seas aboard an Elizabethan galleon during the adventurous days of the 16th century.
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Don't explore the ship on your own - you'll be in and out in 10 minutes - it's not large! Join one of the (no extra charge) tours. Great for kids, as there's lots of interaction - they can wind the capstan and run out the cannon, and lots of references to poo and yukky stuff, which the kids love of course. We also had a half price family ticket through Amazon - I'd have said it was pricey otherwise, but excellent value at only a tenner.

1  Thank shzl400
There are newer reviews for Golden Hinde

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I went on a guided tour of this replica ship and found it very informative and entertaining. To realise how small the ship was that circumnavigated the globe is really brought home to you. It is well worth having the guided tour but its not suitable for anyone with back problems as you spend a lot of time bent over as indeed the original crew would have done

3  Thank 70ish
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I just had to review this attraction. As a teacher, I look for ways to promote learning through creativity. We were studying the Tudors and to complete to Year 5s journey we stayed overnight on board the ship - sleeping on the superb gun deck.....

We were met and helped on board by Gillian and Cat (Billy and George because women were not allowed on tudor ships). Our luggage was securely stored and the activities began. EVERYONE changed into Tudor sailor outfits, including the adults, and we were given a occupation....

Once upon the ship we met various characters that helped teach children about the various roles. We played out scenarios....winning biscuits as rewards for our knowledge and even had a mock battle to end it! The actors WERE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND MADE the evening real..... It was non stop learning about being a gunner.....medical techniques and naming the parts of the ship. They kept it entertaining for the adults as well as the children by getting us involved.....

For our evening meal we had rice and vegetables....which the children enjoyed and ate lots of bread as well......all freshly made my two of the actors. We ate and drank in style using pewter plates, tankards and spoons.

The gun deck is low so beware hitting your head as you wake up or are setting up for bed. There was lots of room for 22 children and four adults that stayed. Security was TIGHT! There was a guard who checked upon us during the night. I was glad I they pumped up my single air bed mattress as the floor is quite hard. However, they provided mats and spare blankets for us just in case.......we were given an air mattress for one of the staff members. Very kind.

Breakfast was continental and there was heaps of it to go around....we were pleased to hear that leftovers were used to make compost.

Amazing memories were created for my class that night and I would recommend it not only for other classes but for families to as I know there is that option. I cannot thank the staff enough for all they have done including the booking staff to the actors on the night! Definitely worth the price.

3  Thank MAOB8484
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We took our children on Good Friday to the two hour fun & games with the actors. Best £20 that we have recently spent! The kids loved it & none of us stopped laughing for the duration. It made learning fun & thoroughly entertaining. We have a seven & four year old and they both got so much out of it. They would've loved going on the ship but think that would've been over quite quickly for us if not for the two guys that played games and made it so interesting. Nice to gap out on London & not feel ripped off. The two actors were fabulous, so thank you if you ever read this!!

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Came with my sister. Two for one with our rail tickets. Did our own tour which was ok. Dont go if you have backache as for a lot of it, you have to bend over due to low ceilingat. Its probably worth paying the extra pound to have the guided tour as you'll learn the history but we still enjoyed it.

2  Thank Samantha B