“Surprisingly entertaining”

River Thames Fast Boat Experience in London
Ranked #189 of 1,827 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visit this living-history museum and find out what it was like to sail the mighty seas aboard an Elizabethan galleon during the adventurous days of the 16th century.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had a LIving Social voucher that was about to expire so I hastily booked tickets for the 'Tudor Fun Day' on May Bank Holiday. Granted, the setting is glorious but I certainly hadn't anticipated how much fun this would be. The actors (Tom and Michael) were genuinely hilarious and the kids were captivated for the entire two hours which was no mean feat. Their roleplay was interspersed with historical nuggets, and plenty of humour for the grown ups too. I can think of fewer times when we've had as much fun together doing something educational. I would definitely visit again.

1  Thank Gizzimodo
"kids and adults"
in 8 reviews
"school trip"

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Walking to the Thames from Borough Market near London bridge a large mast ship is docked between the modern buildings. It is the Golden Hinde II, a replica of Sir Framcis Drake's ship that has followed the same seas as its predecessor circumnavigating the globe from 1577-1580. Now moored and offering a fun approach to history for kids of all ages with fun adventues led by 16th century costumed characters.

1  Thank Chichicastenango
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I had bought a Living Social voucher ages ago and then realised that I hadn't used it. I emailed the day before to see if there were any places available for the following day - a Saturday - and, luckily for us, there were. The lovely lady, Emily, who emailed me advised me that our family could have a guided tour in the morning or go for the Pirate Fun Day in the afternoon. We opted for the Pirate Fun Day and we were not disappointed. We were greeted by 'Pirate Ploppy' who insulted our children in role so well that I thought that they were going to wet themselves laughing. I knew they would get the 4 year old on side but the quiet 9 year old and the 'a bit too cool for school' 10 year old were engaged throughout. After meeting Ploppy's 'Captain Hieronymous', they played some games that got them used to the dimensions of the ship and established the report with the actors in role. The education was effortless and we all got to haul the anchor and fire a cannon. I tend to let my kids and my husband get on with all the participation stuff as they know me to be a bit of a misery, however, I found myself singing a sea shanty at the top of my voice whilst coiling the anchor rope! I had been years ago to The Golden Hinde and needed no more than 20 minutes looking around before my eldest had got bored; the pirates kept us all entertained for 2 hours today! As I said before, I had used a Living Social voucher but it was well worth the full price admission. A brilliant afternoon!

2  Thank Justine S
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Excellent guided tour of this replica old ship by costumed historian. Tour about an hour with information on Francis Drake, the journey round the world, the crew, sailing, weapons, living conditions, food, punishments, enemy captives etc. You can board the ship to explore at your leisure before/after the guided tour too (or self-tour at other times with handset).
Great for a family - perfect age 5-12 - guide gets the kids to act out roles eg turning the capstan to hoist the mighty anchor. Ship has 4 storeys including gun deck so lots to see. Good value at £20 for family (or tesco tokens - can reserve your place by phone).
Combine it with a trip to the borough gourmet food market just behind (expensive but interesting foods from around the world - lots of samples) and a walk along the Thames/over London Bridge or Tate Modern.
Ticket office allows you to drop off big bags.
Beware steep wooden stairs and banging your head on rafters - would not attempt visit with baby/toddler you'll need both arms yourself!

2  Thank Rachel T