“Go for the Groundling Experience!”

Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
Book In Advance
More Info
$20.85*
and up
Shakespeare's Globe Theatre Tour and Exhibition with Optional Afternoon Tea
Ranked #35 of 1,595 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded by the pioneering American actor and director Sam Wanamaker, Shakespeare's Globe is a unique international resource dedicated to the exploration of Shakespeare's work and the playhouse for which he wrote, through the connected means of performance and education.Together, the Globe Theatre Company, Shakespeare's Globe Exhibition and Globe Education seek to further the experience and international understanding of Shakespeare in performance.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Go for the Groundling Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The theater is a piece of history and the performances are top notch! Get the yard tickets for an authentic (and budget friendly) groundling experience - but be sure to be prepared for the weather. I suggest a poncho in case of rain.

I can't recommend this experience enough!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Macbeth, fantastic theatre experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went on a theatre tour on our last visit, and managed to get tickets to see Macbeth recently. What a fantastic performance on a stage that re enacts the origins of our theatres. Such a passionate and fantastic performance from the cast. All the staff were helpful, and so very dedicated and efficient, can not recommend it enough, but the pound to hire a cushion is a brilliant investment. Will be back.

Visited July 2013
League City, Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

this place is nice, kind of boring. Not the real Globe and you cannot go back stage unless you are part of a camp :(

Visited March 2013
Hassocks, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“The Tempest.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Went to see The Tempest last Friday and must say we both really enjoyed the visit, both the play and the whole atmosphere. Strangely I felt faint after about 30 minutes even though we had invested in the essential cushions and portable seat back. I went outside for some air and surprisingly felt worse. To my amazement a member of staff appeared out of nowhere with a wheelchair and whisked me off to the first aid room where I was even more surprised to find I was the third of the evening feeling faint! The record I was told was 49 people feeling faint in one performance. Once recovered I went back and as I say we very much enjoyed the evening.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank DavidJC1956
Atlanta
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Even if you don't think you like Shakespeare--YOU WILL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Do not pass up an opportunity to see a Shakespeare play HERE. We saw "A Winter's Tale" in 2005 and "A Midsummer's Night Dream" May 2013. Both plays were wonderful and beautifully acted!

I would recommend purchasing tickets online in advance as soon as you can commit to a date. If you do not have seats, you can purchase "yard" tickets for five pounds--those are standing room only.

The first time we went, we did not tickets in advance, and therefore purchased the yard seats. Great view, but it was tiring to stand that long. No sitting allowed and if it happens to rain, you cannot use umbrellas. Yard seats are open to air. Many would argue these are the very best "seats" and if you do not mind standing for the entire show, this is a great way to experience the show.

On our recent visit, I did purchase tickets in advance online. You have the choice of having them held at will call or mailed to you. Although I purchased a few months in advance, the seats I wanted (middle tier, center) were all sold out. In fact, the only seats I could get were on the third tier, side stage. They were not bad, though. All of the seats are protected from rain but they are uncomfortable, narrow wooden bench type of seating, no backs unless you are in the "back" row. The Globe does rent cushions and chairbacks, though. We rented both and found the cushions fine, but the chairbacks very uncomfortable and ended up not using them.

We dined at Tas Pide (Turkish) before the show and had a lovely meal. It is across from the Globe.

Visited May 2013