“Soft and fluffy”

Ranked #37 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Soft and fluffy”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have stayed at the savoy before it's fabulous you are always greeted with a warm welcome. We had a lovely corner suite large bathroom and fluffy white towels but the bed was one of those that you don't want to get out of soft fluffy and wonderful. The drinks are pricey but then it's London.
Great stay hope it never changes you are made to fell very special .

Room Tip: Take lots of money !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Was in London for business for one night, so thought I'd give this one a try.

Its a spectacular building for sure, but not sure I'd stay again. I'll probably go back to my usual London hotel next time.

First of all, I walked up to the door with bags (no help with bags), through the foyer (no help), asked the concierge where to check in, who indicated the room on the far side (but no help) and finally stood in the check in area for 15 minutes while the only 2 staff struggled to check in large parties. I didn't expect to wait that long to check in, in one of supposedly the best Hotels in London. Finally the check in clerk noticed my luggage and asked if I had come in via the River entrance (as clearly someone should have got my luggage off me before getting so far). I told her I'd walked in the front door and right through with luggage. She left it at that with no further comment, but clearly someone should have assisted me.

Anyway, no worries. Room was beautiful and spotless, even if slightly old fashioned for my personal taste. I asked the staff where the residents bar was and was pointed to the American bar. I tried twice to go for a drink in my hotel bar, but failed both times due to huge lines (15 to 20 minutes wait) of non-residents waiting to go in for a drink. In my opinion this is ridiculous. Your paying top dollar to stay in a high end, and you cannot get a seat in the bar due to non-residents being given priority. A cardinal sin in my opinion. I tried again on returning from dinner with business contacts about 11pm, and same again! No room at the Inn! I was pointed down some steps to get a drink in a foyer area, but if you think I am paying £350+ a night to drink in the annex your mistaken.

So thanks Savoy. Beautiful building, but It'll be a while before I return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bax52
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay at The Savoy. I was however disappointed to read that your recent stay at The Savoy did not meet expectations.

Firstly I was concerned to read about your arrival experience. This should of course have made you feel truly special and as though you were ‘home from home’. The fact that you felt ignored has been directly addressed to ensure the welcome and recognition of our guests is absolutely consistent.

I was also disappointed to read that you were unable to enjoy a drink at The American Bar. On occasion the bar can reach full capacity from early afternoon, and whilst we endeavor to to accommodate our resident guests, this may not always be possible. Our team should have informed you of our Beaufort bar, a beautifully decadent and theatrical bar in the heart of the hotel and adjacent to the Thames Foyer.

I have shared your review with the team here, and hope to welcome you back to The Savoy as I am sure you will find the service much improved.

Kindest Regards,

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Had a great stay at the Savoy last year and I feel obliged to write a review about it. We stayed there for only 3 nights but it felt like a week as we really managed to experience this hotel to the fullest. It is a very impressive hotel with great decor and design in the ground floor.

Upon arrival we were immediately taken to our room, which is where check in took place. I found it a very nice idea and something different for a change. The room itself was very nice and cosy and we loved it very much.

We ate several times in both restaurants of the hotel and the food was delicious. In one of the evenings there was live music at the american bar and people were dancing while we were having late dinner and drinks. So there's a great atmosphere and it's like you don't want to go anywhere else.

I have only been to London a few times but location wise I felt as if the Savoy is located a bit further from the main streets compared to other top class hotels. Still there is a toad right in front of the hotel where there are some food stores and small shops so it's not like we had to travel with a taxi every time we left the hotel. Also for the ladies, there is a very nice barber shop a few steps away from the Lobby exit. My wife was there and she really loved it.

Service is on a very high level and there will always be someone available to help you with everything you need. Concierge helped me a couple of times and I was very happy with their service.

The Savoy is very popular among celebrities and next to one of the bars you will see many pictures, old and new of famous guests that have stayed there. Actually, we got a glance at the actress Salma Hayek during our stay, just arriving at the hotel so that was another nice surprise.

It might not sound like it but I really loved this hotel and from the 3 hotels I have stayed with in London, the Savoy is definitely Nr. 1! It is a very special place and I would love to stay there again some time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Guy3103
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed a stay at our iconic hotel last November. It is very touching to hear that you along your travels, you consider The Savoy to be the best hotel in London. Your kind words about the service you received are also much appreciated and I look forward to sharing them with the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

NYC
Reviewed September 26, 2013

It was a wonderful treat to visit again after the renovation. The rooms were beautifully renovated but did they make the room smaller or was I just given a closet? Yes, the room had a terrific view but the room was not much bigger than the bed. The bathroom was also tight.

The bed and the amenities of a box of chocolates were wonderful.

It is disappointing that breakfast does not begin until 7 am so people with early morning flights are forced to eat airport food.

While I love The Savoy and its location, check the size of the room when you book.

Room Tip: Breakfast is not served until 7 am.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Intrepidtraveler53
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Savoy.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed a post-restoration visit to our iconic hotel and that you enjoyed our in-room amenities and chocolates, which are all made in-house by our chocolatiers.

I am sorry however to learn that the room did not meet your expectations. Here at The Savoy we are in the enviable position of being able to offer many different sizes and styles of room and we are very happy to accommodate specific preferences where possible when you stay with us. I have shared your thoughts with regards to breakfast timings with our food and beverage team for their review. Our in-room dining offers 24-hour service so is always able to accommodate early breakfast requests should that be of interest for future stays.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Savoy.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I cannot fault this hotel in any way, great value for money, just superb. Great pool and gym, the Savoy Grill Restaurant is excellent. Breakfast was delicious! As you would expect, the hotel is very clean, the beds a super comfortable. I will be returning again in the near future!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give such encouraging feedback following your visit to The Savoy. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the experience and all the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Savoy on your next visit to London.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I, as a treat, decided to float one down to the American Bar as a special treat as neither of us had been before. I am very big into my mixology and bar service and was looking forward to what would be an unforgettable experience. The hostess at the bar entrance was very helpful in getting us a table within a minute or two and once inside, were served olives and other nibbles straight away. The drinks are priced at roughly the same prices as other top London hotels and bars. I was really looking forward to having the White Lady (invented by Harry Craddock here at the Savoy nearly a century ago) and it did not disappoint. Overall, drinks and service were at the highest level as one would hope for and expect, however the decor in the bar is a bit of a mismatch. Great experience overall and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fine drink in a luxurious setting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my wife and we felt thoroughly spoilt. The American Bar was nice and relaxing late afternoon/early evening. Later in the evening they had a pianist, which was actually just too noisy for my liking and sort of drowned out the sound of people having fun.

watching the skill of the barman was quite entertaining and the price of the cocktails wasn't too bad, cheaper than the hotels in Cannes. Lots of salty nibbles too to help you on the way to the next cocktail!

Of course this is a very expensive place to stay but pulling up at the front in our car and handing the concierge the keys was fun and the standard of service everywhere was amazing.

The room was beautiful, painfully expensive mini bar - see photo

One thing we didn't do was to have breakfast there. it was £30+ for a cooked breakfast and to be honest I didn't think it was worth it.

The staff were all extremely helpful, everywhere was very clean. Even a valet in the toilets!

The only thing that did let the hotel down was them letting in people in polo shirts and trainers off the street in the evening. This is a very very special hotel and I think they should expect all guests to dress appropriately. I know this sounds pompus but you need to make an effort when you go to the Savoy!

Oh and the final point is how quiet the hotels was, bearing in mind we were in central London there was very little noise from outside - even with the windows open.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple