“Afternoon Tea is an amazing experience”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #38 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 24, 2013

As part of our Wedding Anniversary treat to London, we booked ourselves in for the afternoon tea at the Savoy and I have to say that it was a briliant experience. The staff that served us made sure that we were fully informed of what we were about to receive and of what choices of tea we could have.

The room used for the afternoon tea was elegantly decorated with a grand piano positioned inside a large bird cage with the pianist being on hand to entertain us throughout.

The afternoon tea started with endless amounts of fresh tea chosen from the menu along with 2 food courses. The first course was a plate of sandwich fingers of 4 different types and a serving of both fruit and plain scones with jam and cream. Feeling full, we declined the offer of more sandwiches or scones knowing that there was more to follow. The second course consisted of a variety of individual pastries with a large slice of further cake to follow. Again, as with the first course you can eat as much as you like, but we were beginning to get very full.

If you are counting the calories, then be prepared to count into the thousands. The pastries and cakes are delicious.

As it was our anniversary, staff brought out a little cake with a candle sitting on a plate that had 'Happy Anniversary' written in chocolate. This was an excellent touch and one which made our afternoon treat feel really special. Speaking to staff, we were duly informed of the Savoys high standards and it was pleasing to hear how much the staff enjoyed their work. A liitle bit of history was welcomed too.

All in all, the experience was fantastic and I would thoroughly recommend it as a once in a lifetime treat. The staff are excellent and fully deserve all the praise.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Savoy

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is extremely overpriced and extremely over rated. The afternoon tea was shocking and when one called for room service one had to wait for an hour until some man bought me tea in a chipped tea cup with most of my tea splashed on the side. The wasn't good and one couldn't get to sleep because of all the noise outside. Because of my tiredness my buisness deal was lost the next morning. One was hoping to be relaxed but one got the exact opposite. Afternoon tea was expensive and the service was sloppy. I would highly reccomend that you do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Petytraveller
Kiaran_MacDonald, General Manager at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry to read your comments and share in your disappointment for the service you experienced on this occasion. Our In-room Dining Manger has reviewed your experiences with his team to highlight the issues and to ensure standards are met going forwards. Please be assured that this was certainly not a typical experience and we very much hope that you will give us another chance to show you how afternoon tea is really done at The Savoy. It is also disappointing to hear that you had a restless night and we extend our regret for this also.

Kiaran MacDonald

Reviewed August 23, 2013

First of all, let me tell you this:

"We travel to the Savoy and not to London."

If a hotel achieves that satisfaction of a customer, I would not have to go on and write more about the Savoy. But I will do.

We travel to the Savoy since April 2011 and since a few months, we stay here nearly once a month. We celebrated christmas here, both our birthdays and the staff has become more than friends, they have become family to us.

The moment we step into this hotel, we feel like home. All the smiling faces, all the nice words, the nice talks and laughters.... there are so many moments, we never want to miss. And we experienced it throughout the whole hotel. Front Desk, Doormen, Kaspar's, Beaufort Bar and most important the Thames Foyer.

Dear Team of the Savoy, Thank you very much for so many unforgetable moments in the past and yet more to come!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words about The Savoy and our colleagues. It’s a pleasure to hear that you chose The Savoy to celebrate such special occasions and that you have enjoyed returning to our iconic property time and time again. I look forward to sharing your comments with our team and welcoming you back soon.

Kiaran MacDonald,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I could not disagree more with the two most recent reviews of afternoon tea at the Savoy. I went on 17th August with two friends, we found the whole experience absolutely wonderful. The welcome and the service was absolutely fantastic. Our waiter explained thoroughly what we could expect and spent some time discussing our choice of tea with us. A second plate of sandwiches was brought before we had even finished the first, and we were offered a second helping of scones. We declined this (knowing that there were cakes & pastries to come!) but more cream and preserves were brought immediately we requested them. As it turned out, we just did not have enough room to finish all the courses and were given the remaining cakes to take away in a lovely black box.
One of my friends was celebrating her 60th birthday, and the other is on a gluten-free diet, and every member of staff who attended to us in the Thames Foyer was aware of this. A little cake was brought out for the birthday girl, to the piano accompaniment of Happy Birthday, My gluten-free friend was delighted to find such an array of tasty treats available for her.
We travelled from Manchester and back in a day for the Savoy experience and it was well worth it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to The Savoy. It is always lovely when guests share their experiences with us. Afternoon tea can be quite filling but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the remaining cakes at home. I will of course share your kind words with the rest of the team and I sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another celebratory occasion and creating some more wonderful memories.

Kiaran MacDonald

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Even though our room was probably the smallest in this magnificent hotel, we were very happy and felt truly pampered and luxurious. We had a great view of the Thames, and the room itself was just perfect. The bed is certainly one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
Staff in general is friendly and correct, but I would like to mention the guys at the door especially. They are so very friendly and attentive!
Minor points: the hotel charges extra for Wi-Fi, which I think is the same as asking whether you would like to have electricity in your room (at an extra charge). I really feel that in 2013 Wi-Fi should be standard and included in the price of the room, especially in a place like the Savoy.
Another small criticism: the bathroom was not as clean as my own bathroom at home, which I think it should be.
For the rest we had a great time at the Savoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, and a river view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lotsofpeppers
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Upon arrival at the Savoy, we were pleasantly greeted by the door man and receptionist gave us a brief tour of the hotel/restaurants and showed us to our room. We had booked a deluxe room for 3 nights over my birthday weekend and was upgraded to a jr suite overlooking the park by the River Thames. The room was large by London standards – there was a small foyer and a huge bathroom with a nice claw foot bathtub and separate shower. You can tell they put a lot of thought into all the details during the renovations.

I was initially a bit worried of the hotel being snobby – however, this was totally unfounded as we were treated very nicely throughout our stay (and emails prior to our stay to confirm details).

We also booked a chocolate making masterclass – it was a lot of fun! It was 2 hours long with lots of chocolate sampling. You get to take home what you make along with the apron. It also includes a 3 course lunch. We would totally recommend looking into the masterclass offerings as it is such a wonderful experience creating a fond memory for us of the Savoy.

Room Tip: If you can afford it or if you can somehow get an upgrade, get a room facing the River and the small...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Savoy is legendary. I had heard about it since I was young, so I was obviously looking forward to experiencing it for myself.

The Good: The service was excellent. Even before we walked through the doors, we were greeted by someone who handled the check-in, gave us a tour of the hotel, and escorted us to our room. Aside from the size of the room, the decor was very rich with ivory and gold trimming running along the walls and the bed. We ate at the seafood restaurant in the hotel and it was good (the service was good as well), but it was nothing to write home about. The spa facilities are also beautiful. Take advantage if you have the time. The location is perfect as it is in walking distance to many restaurants, attractions, theatres, and tube stops.

The Decent: The room itself was not large. I mean, this is London, so I know rooms are generally small, but I guess I just expected The Savoy to be different than other hotels in London. I was also disappointed that there was no place to sit and gaze at the view along the Thames. The hotel overlooks the water, so I would think they'd like to highlight that.

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience of staying at the hotel, and I would recommend it to others. I would just warn them to have more realistic expectations than I did.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family