“Best service ever”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #40 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I haven't been so positively impressed by the service in a hotel, like I was at the Savoy. The moment you arrive, they know your name and somebody from the staff personally guides you to your room. It is amazing. The facilities are great and everybody has a clear understanding of the concept of quality and value of good service. I totally recommend it. Of course, it has a cost, but it depends on how you perceive that in due to the treatment you will receive. Excellent choice if you are in London.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have excellent view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,958)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We regularly use the bars and restaurants but this was our first overnight experience. Arrival, valet parking and check-in all excellent, but the room (beautifully decorated, as one would imagine) was very, very small. Obviously one knows when booking the 'lower-priced' rooms at such a hotel that they won't be massive, but this was uncomfortably cramped, with very little wardrobe space. The nearby lift was pretty audible, as well. The bed was outrageously comfortable and check out prompt and efficient. Overall I very much like The Savoy, but some other hotels of this standard get every little detail right, while The Savoy has tiny niggles.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear SirCLondon, please do not let these "niggles" deter you from visiting us again. At The Savoy we have many different sizes, styles and aspects of room to choose from, so please do let us know of your concerns from this occasion next time and we will do all we can to allocate a room that is more suitable and with more wardrobe space. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We decided to return to The Savoy as it was my great aunt's 89th birthday. She hadn't been to London in over 50 years, so we made a weekend of it for her, booking tickets to Top Hat (brilliant show) and a taxi tour of London as well. As there were four of us on the trip we made two reservations. On arrival at approximately 10am our rooms were ready. My auntie had been given a wonderful upgrade as it was her birthday which made the whole weekend really special for her. Following welcome tea in the suite we went off to explore London. On our return, a birthday card and cake had been left which was a really lovely touch. We went down for afternoon tea, again absolutely delicious. We couldn't fit in the last round of cakes so the waiter offered to have them taken to the room. This was all done with a minimum of fuss and when we arrived in the suite later on, the cake was there with plates and cutlery for us to enjoy!

The decor was beautiful again, this time Edwardian style instead of Art Deco, so was nice to stay in the other half of the hotel. There were some indications of things becoming tired, for example a broken ornament and some minor rusting/staining on the bathroom floor, but this did not detract from our enjoyment of the stay. The beds are an absolutely dream and the Mascioni linens are so soft and the pillows comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was also very nice. Full English breakfast looked as expected. I had the fruit bowl and some of the yummiest eggs benedict I've had, so big thumbs up there.

There is just something about The Savoy that I cannot put my finger on which makes it extra special. It may not have all the fancy gadgets of some of the newer five star hotels in London, but what it lacks in this department it makes up for in understated yet attentive service which caters for everyone and in a truly historical and magical atmosphere. Just sitting in The Savoy lobby people watching is an experience in itself!

Yes, it's expensive, but if you want to stay at a London great and indulge for the weekend, I cannot think of a better place to do it.

I can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: If you don't want to pay for a full riverview ask for a partial riverview on the Edwardian side...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Deb00uk, for your Great Aunt who hadn't been to London in over 50 years this trip must have been a truly amazing experience. You had obviously taken a great deal of time to arrange all the things that you knew she would enjoy, including a stay at The Savoy. Thank you for your comments about the ornament and bathroom floor which we have noted accordingly. We are delighted that we were able to add a little sparkle to your Aunt's 89th birthday and create some wonderful memories for you all. We hope you will have another occasion soon to return to The Savoy.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I love the Savoy. Since its refurbishment there is very little to dislike. From the decor to the service is normally exceptionally good and the rooms well appointed. This time I was left dissapointed. I took my girlfriend for a stay on Valentines, on checking in we were met by a polite lady who tried to upsell me a room in the middle of the foye! As they were requesting an additional £500 a night I declined. I however was rather embarrassed and felt pressurised into an upgrade as I didn't want to appear frugal or trying to cut corners on what was to be a special treat. I personally think this is unacceptable behaviour.
I checked on to a king deluxe room which is their best standard room. This time my room must have been 30% smaller than the last room of simular standard I checked into, of course all rooms can not be the same but it was dissapointing. The Barth room was minuscule and had very peculiar doors that resembled window shutters and had an inch gap between the when closed. There was almost no space for clothing and if you were to spend more than 2 days you would be living out of your suitcase.
Everything else was sublime the rest of the service was fantastic, the afternoon tea was delectable and the Beaufort bar whilst providing excellent drinks offered good entertainment. I will go back but if there is an upgrade offer I would prefer an e-mail or phone call before my bags are taken and I am standing on the premesis. That again was very dissapointing.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Foodbuff81

Dear Foodbuff81, we were so very sorry to read your review that you left The Savoy slightly disappointed after this stay. Valentines has to be just right, relaxed and romantic. You should certainly not have been put on the spot like this and we are very sorry for the embarrassment caused. The hotel uniquely has many different room sizes, styles and aspects, therefore please let us know when you come to book with us again that you were not comfortable in your room this time, and of your experiences, and we will do our best to find something more suitable for you. Thank you.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My fiancé surprised me with a weekend in London. I had no idea where we were staying, we arrived outside the Savoy as we were seeing a show at the theatre that evening, when my other half surprised me and said we were staying there I was shocked! Ordinarily we would not stay at somewhere half as expensive as this but this was a belated valentines treat. If anything I was almost scared at entering what is to me a posh hotel but the man that met us as we walked in was very friendly and helpful. He gave us a brief explanation of the layout of the hotel and then took us up to our room. Room 850 a standard room but none the less very plush, spacious and clean. A small window didn't give much of a view but enough of the river for me to feel like I was in London. The evening we had a drink in the bar, it was nice to be able to get a table straight away as we were residents, others were having to wait-this made us feel very important! The bar had live piano music. One thing I will say was the bar was very badly lit, I had to get my phone light on the drinks menu because we were literally sat in pitch black! The drinks are expensive but the service is excellent, very professional yet friendly. Breakfast the next morning was very 'civilised' we had our £31 English breakfast by the gazebo. Our waitress was very attentive, the decor was beautiful. The hotel was exactly as I imagined it to be. The breakfast consisted of pastries, cakes and a full English! It was very nice, high quality ingredients but still £31 each! Although it was an expensive stay I think if you can afford to do it, even if you only do it once its a really treat. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vemula
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My daughter and I booked afternoon tea at the Savoy to celebrate our birthdays. It was a fantastic experience and one that I will never forget. The staff were so friendly and attentive and the food was delicious. My daughter is coelilac so requires gluten free food so we contacted the hotel beforehand and made them aware of this. They made the most amazing gluten free scones, cakes, pastries and sandwiches for her. Later on the pianist started to play happy birthday and the waiters brought out two cakes (one gluten free of course) with birthday candles in. I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TigerLillieWales

Dear TigerLillieWales, we are all thrilled to learn that, on such a special occasion, we created some happy memories for you both to share. Our team are always here to help with any dietary requirements you need, and we hope to welcome you and your daughter again to The Savoy very soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

After my 3rd visit to the American Bar at the Savoy I felt it only appropriate to share my experience with Tripadvisor. This hotel is immaculate and although I have not stayed here since the refurbishment I can only imagine the rooms are comfortable and elegant also. The afternoon tea looks fabulous and one I can’t wait to book. The American Bar never fails to deliver on every level, the services is perfect, friendly, professional and attentive. You have a few steps to the American Bar where you are greeted by a friendly member of staff, on every visit I have been welcomed by a warm smile (I just love this as it puts you at ease, as sometimes 5* hotels can be intimidating and stuffy). The welcome for me is a huge deal as first impression is everything and on this occasion it was my mum’s Birthday so she was extremely excited and put at ease straight away. We sat down for a nice bottle of Champagne and a few cocktails, our waitress of whom I did not get her name was adorable, talking to us about Canada (where she was from) and places we should visit. They have a piano player who starts around 5:30 / 6pm, (do forgive me the bubbles took over at this point) and the lights are dimmed to give a relaxing evening ambience. I love this bar and would encourage anyone to go and relax and enjoy this little gem in such a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family