“Savoy Grill worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #54 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
“Savoy Grill worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The ambience and history makes the savoy Grill well worth a visit.
It is reasonably priced and the food is excellent.
The steaks are fantastic full of flavour and superb choice. Maybe a few more fries and vegtables (extra cost) wouldnt go amiss. We will return as we enjoyed the whole experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Copthorne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

From the minute we arrived and experienced the seamless valet parking, to the moment our car was returned to us the next day, this was a faultless hotel experience. The staff were friendly and attentive without being over-bearing. Cannot fault the service from everyone we encountered. Afternoon tea was a delight. Dinner at Savoy Grill was also a superb experience. Room was above expectations. Great size, beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. Again, cannot fault it. Nothing at all to say against this hotel from our experience. Made it a birthday to remember for a long, long time!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

A couple of quiet drinks in the American Bar followed by a wonderful meal in the Savoy Grill was the perfect wedding present. We shared a chateaubriand which was cooked to perfection followed by an exotic cheesecake and desert wine. Thoroughly recommend this place.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon G
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Fantastic restaurant, amazing service, and the food wass delicious.

We initially went for tea only and ended up ordering a few things from the menu.

It may be expensive, but it is certainly worth it for the quality, experience, and service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a queen size room, which is the cheapest you can stay in at The Savoy. The bed was fantastically comfortable and the Bathroom well appointed with huge bath and rainforest shower. The products are the amazing Le Labo Rose 31,which are fantastic.Overall next time I would plump for a larger room, especially if you are staying more than a couple of days, as the space is a little limited, however if you can compromise on space The Savoy does everything in style and is a great luxury hotel in the centre of London. I personally love it, the staff are always so professional and the atmosphere very genteel.
They have a fabulous Boodles in house should you want to buy fantastic jewellry away from the hustle and bustle of Bomd street.All in all will we stay again, you bet!

Room Tip: The more you pay the larger the room, but they are all still well appointed.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Flying visit only unfortunately, whilst at a conference but will almost certainly stay again.
Beautiful calm, elegant oasis of 40s style. Staff extremely helpful and the room was immaculately clean, comfortable and well appointed. Very quiet, despite its location. My only gripe was a regular high pitched 'clink' overnight, which in the cold light of morning, I think must have been coming from the air conditioning unit. Being a light sleeper it was a nuisance and I ended up sleeping with a pillow over my head!

• Stayed February 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

For its intimate feel, supremely comfortable rooms, and fashionable decor, The Savoy is the place to stay in London. During my trip I also stayed at Claridges and a couple notable hotels in Paris, and The Savoy definitely stole the show.

Upon my arrival, my friend and I were greeted immediately and personally and shown to our room. We loved the style of the room, but underwhelmed by the view. The staff was accommodating - we left our bags for just a couple hours and returned to our new room, which had a different color scheme but was equally beautiful and offered a partial view of the river.

We booked a superior room, which was very spacious, with high ceilings and a large King bed. It was immaculate, and everything felt pristine. The bathroom was also clean and well lit. The towel heater was much appreciated during the colder rainy days, and I particularly enjoyed the Le Labo products (rose scent) in the bathroom, complete with shampoo and conditioner, shower gel, and also bath salts.

The layout of the hotel is interesting. The multiple rooms connecting the lobby with the reception area, the hall, and the restaurants/bars, combined with the rich colors in the lobby, provide for an intimate setting. The hotel almost feels more like a private home rather than a tourist destination. The elevator that goes up to one set of rooms is also unique - it is an original piece of the hotel, complete with light cherry wood paneling and a warm red carpet.

The service at the hotel was top notch. We asked to leave our heavier bags for two days because we were going on a short excursion, and the hotel was most accommodating and stored our things without question or charge. The staff was also great with helping us with the Internet. Note that Fairmont Presidents Club members enjoy free internet. I, however, had forgotten my membership ID. The staff provided me with a temporary internet log-in and then called me back promptly with my Fairmont ID, which I then used to access the Internet during my stay. Easy. Lastly, the concierge was wonderfully efficient with reservations and directions. They helped book and cancel multiple dinner reservations for us, and they even gave me nightclub/bar recommendations late in the evening when I called while out with friends.

The restaurant at The Savoy offers a lovely view of the river. The food is good - not incredible - but certainly good quality, and the service was first rate. We enjoyed brunch, and, although it's a relatively formal restaurant, there was no feeling of pretentiousness or stuffiness. We also had drinks at the American Bar one evening. The drinks were interesting and featured a wide variety of ingredients. Our disappointment here was with the service - despite being guests at the hotel, we had to wait for a table. This was surprising because, by the time we were shown to a table, the bar was empty. Moreover, the service was extremely slow and apathetic. While I liked the restaurant at The Savoy, the bar was a disappointment.

The only other negative note has to do with a few of the other hotel guests, rather than the hotel itself. In the early morning hours of my first night at the hotel I was awoken by a group of women talking loudly and laughing hysterically outside my room. After waiting 10 minutes in the hope that they'd tire (of themselves), I finally had to ask them to be more quiet. There was no apology and I was rather surprised at the complete lack of consideration they exhibited.

In short, it is the decor and charm of The Savoy that I thought were fabulous, and the service did not disappoint. The hotel, despite its size, has a boutique feeling. It is elegantly fashionable and luxurious without conveying any air of pomposity or of trying too hard to be something that it isn't. The Savoy hotel should be top of the list on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank NYEm
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for providing such a detailed overview of your visit to The Savoy; we all very much enjoyed reading it through and have noted the smaller disappointing aspects that we need to improve on. We really appreciate your wonderful support on the Tripadvisor front, and hope to see you back again very soon.