“2 night stay at the Savoy”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #38 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Had a 2 night stay at the Savoy recently - now my favourite London hotel - third stay this year. It's not cheap, but the room was superb, quiet with very efficient aircon. Lovely bathroom with big tub, walk in shower, single basin and bidet. And it's less expensive than others (eg Claridge's, Connaught, Berkeley, Brown's) for the same sort of room. Excellent deal with WhataHotel.com, including complimentary upgrade, full English breakfast (including tea served in the room) and a £50 credit. I think, contrary to some people, that the refurb is excellent. A bit faux in places, but in keeping with the original style. Service cannot be faulted - whenever possible you are addressed by name - and the addition of the Beaufort Bar is a huge plus - I love this room. Late night cocktail and nibbles accompanied by pretty good jazz singing. Where better to chill out after a night at the opera? I'll be back!

Room Tip: The street view rooms are bigger, I think, and the air conditioning is quieter but less efficient, b...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (5,007)

Reviewed October 4, 2011

This review is about my second stay at the refurbished Savoy. Stayed at an Art Deco room which was a deluxe, but small and just right only for a single traveller. Beautiful details of the original Savoy interior. Overall I was sorry to find out that there are HUGE lacks regarding service levels:

1) Reception: staff meets arriving guest mostly in the lobby, approaching them informal. That is ok and gave me a nice and welcoming feeling.
If they miss you in the lobby, you get into the receiption area and it happens that nobody is there and it requires to look arround and wait for someone.

2) During my one night stay my key refused me to get into the room five times. Needless to say that this was very annoying because it required to go down to reception ... see 1)

3) Once a staff member of cleaning staff opend the door as he was arround when my key did not work again. He found out that there was no electricity in the room. Very annoying, because it was already dark and I wanted to change for an opera visit. Staff member tried to call someone over his phone for minutes but without success - as other mentioned already in previous reviews - they obviously have no phone answer-policy. So I went down to reception (see 1) asking for support.

4) Once I entered the hotel from back side, was late afternoon. No staff was at the back entrance. So I could enter the hotel, walked through the building and finally reached the lobby (where I was greated by a receptionist). I think that's quite a security issue that back entrance is without ANY attendance by a securitiy or at least a porter.

3) Afternoon tea was delicious, service very nice but badly trained.

3) Nice staff during night in bar areas but also not adequately trained.

4) Breakfast service was - as during my first stay two month earlier and short after opening - a disaster, in regard of SERVICE and FOOD OFFER (eg. I orded a certain style of breakfast which is described in detail on the menu but they kept on asking for this and that so I wonder why the offer a breakfast menu?

I can quite good understand all of the bad reviews here, I experienced some of the mentioned inssued during my stays. Nevertheless: The SAVOY is an experience, and not the worst one.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Our recent visit to London, we were overwhelmingly pleased with our 4 night stay at the Savoy. We had stayed years ago, prior to last year's reopening in October, and were delighted with the fresh new look and feel. Our Edwardian style room was large and bright, and beautifully decorated, even though is had just a courtyard view...we loved it. The staff throughout the hotel was warm and welcoming, like Marcello who greeted us upon arrival by name. We were made to feel like we were the most important guests in the hotel, and we loved the location, a few blocks from the Thames. We have stayed previously at the Stafford, and Renaissance Chauncery Court, but our experience at the Savoy far exceeded expectations. Donna Turner

Room Tip: The Art Deco rooms face the Thames and are are bit more pricey than the Edwardian rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank dswingsing
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We had a long weekend in the newly refurbished Savoy which is ideally situated if you fancy taking in a show (Savoy Theatre next door) or sightseeing. We had a room on the second floor looking into the middle of the hotel and our view was a very large grey roof type structure. My wife insisted that I didnt complain so we made do with no view whatsoever, I didnt expect a view over the Thames but I felt this was a little dissapointing considering the cost.

Room Tip: Check that your room has a view of something other than a roof, avoid the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard G
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

We are sorry to learn your stay was spoiled by a disappointing view. At The Savoy we are in the enviable position of being able to offer many different styles, sizes and aspects of rooms, so please do mention your preferences the next time you stay with us.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

I recently stayed for three nights in a one room Edwardian Suite at The Savoy. My stay could not have been better. The service was flawless.The room was exceptionally elegant and comfortable. I had a partial view of the Thames. It was quiet. The furniture and art were at the level of what you might see in a very wealthy Londoner's home.

With a suite, you get a team of experienced butlers who are at your service 24/7. These men actually want to help you make your stay as enjoyable and inconvenience-free as possible. Leaving the butlers aside, check in and out was quick and flawless. Service at the American Bar and the River Restaurant was excellent, as was the food and drink.

Back in the 1920s and 30s, the Savoy was the most glamorous hotel in London. It was recently closed for three years,and they poured about $200 million into renovations. I think it's the most glamorous and opulent hotel I've visited anywhere, and I've stayed in some great places. I'm from NYC, and I don't think we have any comparable hotels.

If money is no object or you want to splurge for a special occasion, I think you will be quite pleased with this hotel.

Please note that I've reviewed several other hotels, and my reviews are often fairly tough. This time, I wanted to give credit where it's due.

Room Tip: I suppose it would be quieter away from The Strand which is a busy street. I think most of the room...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank john23
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We went to the Savoy for 3 nights after a horrible experience at the Waldorf London. We got there at 10 am expecting our room not to be ready until later in the afternoon. A very wonderful lady named Emily was ready to greet us, knew us by name and took us and showed us around the hotel and then escorted us personally to our room. She said that "at the Waldorf you do not wait for your room". The room was STUNNING. It was so clean and immaculate. The service at this hotel is absolutley amazing. Everyone seems to know you and call you by name. They are so polite and friendly. We noticed that our room was cleaned twice each day. Once in the morning and once when they did turn down service and by clean I don't mean just replacing towels, I mean complete cleaning; cleaning of shower stalls, toilett, etc.

One evening we had thrown our clothes out of a suticase and on the bed and when we returned they had folded everything neatly on our bed for us in piles. We were amazed.

The hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous. The restaurants are fantastic and I would recommend The Grill which is a Gordon Ramsay steak house. It was really good. We loved going to the American Bar where they play jazz every night and this lovely musician would play and sing all night. The staff at the American Bar were fantastic as well. Anna was great. I commented on an arrangement of Calla Lilies and how they were my favourite flowers and the next day there was a calla lily in our room. They also sent a bottle of champagne and beautiful maccaroons to congratulate us on our honeymoon.

We had afternoon tea at The Savoy as well and it was truly an experience. I would highly recommend it. The staff are so polished and good at their job that it is almost like watching a play.

The Concierge at The Savoy can also do anything you want. They can get you tickets last minute to any show and get you into any restaurant that you wish.

All in all this was the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

It is wonderful when a guest takes the time to compliment the services of individual members of staff who have helped to make the visit extra special; we have shared your kind compliments with everyone, thank you. We all hope to welcome you both again next year to celebrate your first anniversary!

Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed in February, wanting to love it. The room was lovely...the bathroom was full of marble....and we went to bed in a luxurious bed. Sadly, when the room next door came back for the night and put on CNN we could hear every word. A good night's sleep is a given in a hotel.... But no sound proofing between rooms? Reception offered to move us, but we settled on them asking next door to switch the tv off. Sadly it went on again at 6.30 am......

• Stayed: February 2011