“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 1,089 Hotels in London
norfolk
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Every need is catered for by staff who are helpful but not at all stuffy or over attentive . A quiet place to stay and perfect location,only a short distance from the madness of Oxford St . I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas_Kochs, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear “karenaNorfolk”,

We would also love you to stay here again!

With our good wishes,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Pattaya, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

The hotel is gorgeous, there's no argument about that. It is typically very expensive but I stayed there last week on 4 for the price of 3 and did not regret it for a second. The room I was in smelt musty but apart from that it is a really wonderful hotel in the best area of London. The location cant be beaten and service is sensational. I complained about the musty smells and immediately staff appeared with a deodorizing machine which was mildly humorous. The a hand written note from the desk manager and offers to move me etc. This hotel really cares about the comfort of their guests.
The charm of Claridges is enormous and while thet charge a 5% discretionary service charge which amused me no end they dont nickel and dime you on internet or newspapers. I am from England originally and the pleasure of going there will I trust never be diminished.
The hotel is owned by the Maybourne Group whose standards are unrelenting and despite arriving in jeans while dinner guests were arriving in black tie one can only feel welcomed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Brook Street or Davies Street to avoid the well
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear “Arsenal 14_12”

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We hope your travels will bring you back to London and Claridge’s soon.

With my good wishes and those of all the team,

Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

We've spent last Christmas holidays at Claridge's and this was an absolutely magical stay. The hotel is lovely designed in art deco style. While entering the big foyer, you feel immediately on a glamourous party in the twenties. The atmosphere made me think of The Great Gatsby.

For Christmas, the hotel was embellished extra nicely with cosy Chrismas details and of course the big Christmas tree. Claridge's is famous for its huge christmas tree that raises along the stairs every December. This year, Dolce & Gabbana had the onour to decorate it.

The doormen helped immediately with our luggage and the receptionists were also available for a fast guidance trough the foyer, the bar, the fumer and our room. The concierge was helpful too and knew all good restaurants and places to be and to see. Although this wasn't necessary because of the perfect location of the hotel, close to Bond Street, Victoria Secret, Selfridge's, the Underground,.. .

Our room was surprising spacious and cosy furnished in that typical English style. Everything was tidy and sanitary and prepared for a nice stay. We had our own hallway, a classy bathroom, a huge bedroom with a dressoir, a good bed, a lavatory, many closets and even a dressing room connected with the bathroom, wich I appreciated very much. The little living room was really something, we've almost spent half of our time here because it was so comfortable with the fireplace and the cosy fauteuils.
I recommend a hot chocolat or an Earl Grey tea with some biscuits at 4 o'clock, the roomservice brings it in style to you in 5 minutes.

Eating at Claridge's is also a must when you stay there. You have different types of breakfasts, The European Breakfast, The English Breakfast,.. and you may choose every dish on top of this, like some pancakes, some toast, scones, some eggs,.. .
In the evening, it's even more chic to eat, there was live pianomusic on the background, wich is always lovely. The dining-place has style and grace and the service is quick and good. The food was very good, although the dishes on the menu were mostly very simpel. But we really enjoyed our meal.

I highly recommend Claridge's for a royal stay full of typical English elements.
Like already obvious I experienced a wonderful Christmas!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear “Julie D”,

It was lovely to read your super review and thank you for choosing Claridge’s at Christmas-time.

Please come back and see us again soon but, in the meantime, happy travels.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

My wife & I have been to Claridges twice now for to celebrate our wedding anniversaries. The first time we went we were given a tour of the hotel before we checked in followed by complimentary champagne welcome at the bar. There is so much history in this hotel, we were really impressed.
Our room and hotel facilities were as expected, superb! All the staff were extremely hospitable nothing was to much trouble through our three night stay. We will be back!

Stayed September 2013
Dear “meekumoo”,

It is always a joy to welcome guests on their Wedding Anniversaries and we hope you will continue your tradition.

With all good wishes,

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

After watching the documentary on BBC, and speaking with friends who had stayed previously, we were both looking forward to our first stay - it did not disappoint.

We've been to the bar at Clardige's and also ate at the Noma pop-up so knew what most of the lobby area etc. looked like. Upon arrival we checked-in and was advised that our room was not ready. We knew it wouldn't be and were meeting friends so went to the bar. Our friends joined us about 2 hours later and their room wasn't ready. We waited another 30 minutes to be advised that the rooms were still being prepared (we weren't sure what was happening with the prep - new paint perhaps!). The hotel apologised and gave us a free bottle of champagne.

We stayed in room 242 which was a pleasantly sized room and one which had been recently refurbished. Our friends took a look over and said it was better than the room they previously had, decor wise, as it was a lot lighter.

The shower in the bathroom was one of the best we've ever used, and the magic toilet which was heated and had a modern bidet built in. Room was very tidy and quiet.

A couple of minor points (which didn't affect our stay); TV wasn't HD and the signal was sometimes intermittent, only an FM radio - again signal was pretty poor (should be DAB!), when using the shower there was no de-mister on the bath mirror.

If you want to go somewhere and feel special, then Claridge's will hopefully make you feel special. All the staff were friendly and very helpful. It's not cheap, BUT, I've stayed at higher end Hilton's (which was probably about 50% of this cost) but the experience/room were not comparable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkBarefoot
Dear “MarkBarefoot”,

I was so pleased that you chose to visit us for your first overnight stay and that you were not disappointed.

Your great review means so much to us all – a huge thank you!

With kind regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

After a recent, very happy stay at The Savoy, I looked forward to trying another London institution: Claridge’s. But alas, my stay there was disappointing for three reasons: desultory service, the somewhat tired decor of our room, and a lack of cleanliness.

Service: An early indication of what was to come was revealed by our check-in experience. There were only two members of staff working at the front desk -- despite a growing line of guests attempting to check in or out. My b/f and I waited in line for 10 minutes. Conditions were crowded and people jostled with suitcases to maneuver around the line.

Decor: Our room was pretty although arguably dated and dark (as I later found out, other parts of the hotel were being renovated or were soon to be renovated, and this area was last on the list). We had no view and just faced an inner “courtyard,” or more appropriately, “glorified airshaft.” Moreover, the elevator ride to our room took several minutes as only one elevator was functioning and the hotel seemed to be more or less at capacity.

Cleanliness: I was upset by Claridge’s apparent cavalier attitude toward cleanliness. Our bed sheets were creased, and other items were stained. Note my attached photograph: the robe in the bathroom – just like one of the towels – was covered with small stains, most probably blood that had gone through the washer (hopefully). I don’t understand why, if the articles had in fact been laundered, they passed inspection before being put out again for guests.

But what is perhaps most surprising and disappointing about Claridge’s is the attitude of management to my concerns and their unwillingness to honor the promise of a prior member of the management team. Upon my return to New York, I had communicated with the Hotel Operations Manager and several others about my stay (following a survey soliciting feedback). He was apologetic and encouraged me to “get in touch” with him prior to my next visit to England so that the hotel could try to “make amends,” and have an opportunity to correct the dismal impressions left by my previous stay. Fast forward to this month: I contact Claridge’s to inform them of an upcoming visit, but now it appears my earlier conversations with the hotel (despite the email chain included in my message) are at best a distant memory to them, and at worst, irrelevant. The assurances of the recently departed manager have been conveniently forgotten. I am obviously surprised by Claridge’s apparent refusal to honor a promise.

In conclusion, Claridge’s obviously remains a much-admired London institution; the many non-guests visiting the lobby and restaurants are testimony to this. But I found that the substance of the hotel did not match its superficial, public style. I had expected standards of service and room decor and cleanliness to be similar to other 5-star hotels I have visited (e.g. The Savoy in London, the Bristol or Le Meurice in Paris), but I was sadly disappointed. I shall not be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank NYEm
Thomas_Kochs, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear “NYEm”,

I was naturally very sorry to read your review which relates to a stay back in December, 2012.

Whilst my colleague, to whom you were in correspondence with following that visit, has now left Claridge’s our concern that you did not have the best experience has not diminished.

I have studied the on-line guest feedback you completed shortly after your stay which I would like to thank you for. This is an invaluable tool for us and I am pleased to inform you that since your last stay the room you occupied has now been fully refurbished.

It is clear from your review that there are matters that remain unsolved. I have looked at the exchange of correspondence and I would appreciate us liaising direct so I can clarify your belief that we are refusing to honour a promise.

My hope and intention is to make sure that you are a happy Claridge’s guest and I look forward to our corresponding direct.

With all good wishes,

Fontainebleau, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Great service and beautiful "cadre". Central yet calm... Could almost forget that you are here for work. Breakfast in the room delicious and well presented as was the dinner. Will definitely be back on our next visit to London.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zolou25
Dear “Zolou25”

We are all delighted that we can look forward to welcoming you back and would like to thank you for your kind words.

With the good wishes of all the team.