“Posh, Luxury, Pampered, Good Customer Care, Excellent Food.”
Review of Claridge's

Claridge's
Ranked #45 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel oozes class in all aspects. To top it all off this facility has one of the best customer service around. Prices are on the crazy side but it is definitely worth every single penny. Stayed there recently with around 4 in my entourage. 2 suites and one King Executive room. Good location as well.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel, because customer service is great.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ItsEzry
Thomas_Kochs, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear “Ezryyy”,

We really appreciate your kind comments, especially on customer service which the team and I thank you for.

Thomas

There are newer reviews for Claridge's

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I love all things Art Deco so have always fancied visiting Claridges but have been put off by the exorbitant price tag. I had a hotel voucher for £100 and, after much deliberation, decided to put it towards one night at the famous hotel. I booked the cheapest room going (at £300!) - a special Sunday night deal in a Queen room. I also booked afternoon tea. My communications with the hotel prior to arrival were very easy and helpful. Despite me booking a 'cheap room' I was treated like royalty. I emailed them to say what a huge Art Deco fan I am and requested 'the most Art Deco room they has for my £300 budget'. I was not disappointed. As you can see from my photos, the room was full of Art Deco furniture and details. And for a queen room it was huge - it had what seemed like a late double bed, a writing desk, a dressing table, and two arm chairs, and didn't feel cluttered. Afternoon tea was fabulous - I am an awkward customer (being both veggie and gluten free) but they acted like it was no trouble at all. The only slight downside was a leak from the ceiling near our table. Others might have been apalled by this, but we thought it was a charming reminder of the history of the building! The waiting staff offered to move us to another table but we chose to stay put. It was Christmas (23rd Dec 2013) so the tea room and hotel were beautifully decorated and there was a choir singing carols. We even got a Christmas gift - some Claridges blend tea in a pretty metal Christmas tree decoration! We tried to visit the small 1930s-styled Fumior bar later that evening but it was already shut (it shuts at 12 rather than 1 on Sundays apparently). We visited it in the morning instead and had fabulous (although expensive at around £20!) cocktails. In the evening we enjoyed a bit of covert celeb spotting - I won't name names but some of London's finest actors were out in force. All in all, a fantastic experience - and well worth the price tag. The trip was made even more memorable by my partner taking the opportunity to propose in our beatuful room!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Cleo H

Dear “Cleo H”,

Thank you for your great comments and especially for being so understanding about the leak next to your table. I am really grateful that you took it with a sense of humour and would like to assure you that it is not a regular feature at Afternoon Tea time.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

What a fantastic hotel - the staff couldn't do enough for you - our room was a lovely size - sunken bath and a huge bed which was so comfortable. If you want a modern hotel this is not the one for you - if you want British tradition, service and manners this is the place to be. You are greeted and treated like royalty. Overall if you want the best go to Claridge's. Thank you to everyone for making my weekend special.

1  Thank Annie T
Thomas_Kochs, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear "Annie T",

We were so pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your weekend with us and we would like to especially thank you for your very kind words about the team.

We all hope you will return soon.

With regards,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend on an around the world trip. We are both British but live abroad. We chose the hotel because we both miss the UK and wanted a quintessentially English weekend for my husband's birthday. We both love the location as it is near friends, my husband's office, great shopping, and some of our favourite restaurants.

I arrived quite early on a red eye and they kindly found me a room which was very cozy. I went to the restaurant for breakfast and ordered soft boiled eggs and a newspaper. The server and I discussed the time to boil the eggs and I erred on the low side while the server erred on the high side. We went with her recommendation. The eggs arrived and were hardboiled. A server noticed my paper had not been brought and gave me one. The original server noticed my eggs were overdone, apologized, and removed them. I was not going to complain but was happy she noticed. Another server brought back new eggs with another on the half shell and showed me that they always cook a third egg to show it is done properly and then he said, "the previous eggs must have been left to sit too long." I wasn't sure if he was accusing me of having left the eggs to overlook and then send them back but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt since the other staff were so lovely.

We spent the day with friends and came back to go to sleep when we realized our room was over top of the bar and it was very loud. They kindly moved us. We had a fabulous day the next day.

The day of our checkout I had an old business partner and my old boss meet me at the restaurant for breakfast. I used to have a lot of meetings here when I lived in London and this and the Wolseley were my favourite venues. My boss woke up late and missed it but the wait staff seemed extremely perturbed that this chair was empty (the restaurant was only half full and we were 3 people at a table for 4 people). They made a big point about asking about it at every opportunity (even though we had all ordered) and when I got the message that she was not coming and told them, they swiftly removed the setting and chair. We all felt that they interrupted our conversation needlessly and did a good job of making us feel unwelcome and as though our presence was a great burden for them. Even asking for more water for the tea was met with a sneer. My former business partner even asked why I chose to stay here. Maybe the staff think they should only be waiting on the foreign dignitaries and movie stars that stay here? We were quite shocked and, as we were just leaving, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Staff thinking they are above or too cool for the people they are paid to wait upon are one of my big pet peeves. I expect this at the Westbourne in Notting Hill, not at Claridge's.

• Stayed: June 2013
Thomas_Kochs, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear “Jwdwc”,

I believe the saying goes “every egg is an adventure”. I appreciate that adventures should be exciting and not annoying and that a Claridge’s egg should probably be an exception to the rule. The Chef is very sorry that we did not get your egg right for you.

I sincerely apologise that your overall experience was marred by the incidents you described. The team is very passionate about their work, every day they put a lot of energy and care into delivering exceptional service experiences and every guest is treated the same way – there is no difference for movie stars. I realise that your feedback does not reflect what I have just said, but I know that the issues you referred to are not the norm and I hope you will return to enjoy what many other reviewers and guests have experienced.

If you would like to contact me direct I would be very pleased to hear from you and my e-mail is tkochs@claridges.co.uk.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in a suite at Claridges recently. We both had high expectations and it was a very special occasion for us so we wanted somewhere special and memorable. We have both stayed in number of the 5 star hotels in London (Mandarin Oriental, Landmark, Langham, Firmdale hotels etc) and have really enjoyed them all.

The service at Claridges was just ok. Actually I'd probably say I was dissapointed: I wanted to be impressed but I just wasn't - check in totally lacked engagement and warmth and felt very transactional. We ordered room service just after arrival and this was a similar experience service wise.

I personally did not like the hallways of the hotel (but that is just my opinion of course). I found the lights incredibly bright and it lacked warmth to me. Our suite was huge - living room, bedroom, hallway, dressing room and bathroom. Great size. I did feel that it was all a bit tired though and i found it hard to justify the high per night room rate.

We ordered room service breakfast and and the food was very good and nicely presented. My husband also had dinner in the hotel one evening and really enjoyed the food.

I think a previous reviewer felt that the hotel was aimed (aiming) at a foreign tourist market and I have to agree here. I think the hotel needs to really "up it's game" service wise and the rooms definitely need a bit of a facelift.

For me I can't imagine we will return to Claridges - there are just too many other 5 star hotels in London now that are able to exceed expectations and deliver a truly great customer experience.

1  Thank Jules_London1

Dear “Jules_London1”,

I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy Claridge’s as much as you should have. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and views, I will certainly address them with the team and
should you ever wish to discuss them in further detail with me please do not hesitate to contact me on tkochs@claridges.co.uk.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Overall you can't be disappointed with Claridge's, but if you are treating yourself to a top London hotel, there are better establishments. The hotel has charm and is very inviting. The lobby area is plush with magnificent chandeliers with wonderful foral displays.

Checking in at reception is very little different from most hotels. You wait in line as on the day my wife and I checked in there appeared to be only two receptionists on duty. This was 2.55pm and were told our room was not yet ready. We were given a complementary glass of champagne whilst we waited before being escorted to our room some 25 minutes later. This in turn made us late for our afternoon tea reservation.

Our room for the night was large and comfortable with a lovely marble bathroom. Plenty of wardrobe space, but let down by some badly scuffed skirting boards, curtains with all four curtain ties broken and ripped also staining on both window seats. This is not to be expected whilst staying in an hotel of this standard. The cost of the Claridge's experience, one expects near perfection, not to be let down by simple but easily recified irritations. It didn't stop my enjoyment but did not match up to some of the other 5 star London hotels.

The manager Mr. Koch needs to train his staff in how to serve and hold a bottle of champagne. Both in the Champagne bar and whilst we took afternoon tea, the hotel staff that severed the champagne, held the bottle as though it was a bottle of lemonade. To me this is an unforgivable mistake for a hotel of this so called standard.

Dear “RobertIsleofMan”,

Thank you for your feedback. Whilst it is never pleasant to receive a review that does not reflect an entirely satisfactory stay, I am still grateful that you let us know as it is important to hear that side as well.

I will certainly discuss your experience with the team and hope you will give us the opportunity to show you what a truly special hotel Claridge’s is.

With regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We returned to Claridge's in early June this year.

On our last visit, they gave us a room with a distinct cigarette smell. The front desk manager said to contact him. We did and he helped us with restaurant reservations and our room on this occasion.

We were given the most amazing room recently re-designed by David Lindley. It was awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms designed by David Lindley.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dennis R

Dear “Dennis R”,

I am so pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.