“Security breeched as we slept. Woman entered bedroom without announcement.”
Review of Claridge's

Claridge's
Ranked #42 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have just returned from a one night stay at Claridge's in London I my husband & I are still reeling from the shock of a woman entering our bedroom as we slept. It was 10.30pm and we heard a tap on the suite door and then instantly this opened followed by her opening our bedroom door. There was no knock and ask to come in, it was just straight into the suite and then straight into the bedroom. I was absolutely terrified, my side of the bed was nearest the bedroom door. My husband shouted in the dark,"What the heck is going on!" and we heard the female reply "oh sorry" and out she went. Neither of us saw who she was. We called reception to report the matter and to ask who the person was and why? Nothing. When we checked out the following morning the incident rang a vague bell with the lady on reception, enough for her to slip around the back of reception to get her Manager, who surprisingly was "in a meeting". We left our e-mail and by husband said that he wanted an explanation to this breech in security. I was appalled that this incident was not enough to raise the Manager to the front desk and that CCTV had not been checked since our complaint at about 10.40pm the evening before. If the duty manager from the night before had been "on the ball" the culprit and reason for room entry should have been identified so that a proper explanation and apology could be given to us when we checked out. As I mentioned to the receptionist, I hope the Managers meeting was a very important one. Maybe if I had been Victoria Beckham and my husband "Beck's" our treatment would have been different. Apart from this, you cannot fault Claridges but I now have serious doubts about there security. Yes we should of blotted the door, but we thought we were safe.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
19  Thank AloBingi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,936)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Lovely experience! We would normally not stay in anything like this please (did Raffles in 2008; probably the closest!)

Service and people are fantastic throughout the hotel. Rooms are beautifully decorated and equipped.

Breakfast was wonderful experience, and drinks in the bar were also fab.

It is a little pricey for everything ( by my standards) but is well worth the experience at least once.

My one criticism is that there was quite a bit of activity outside the room throughout the stay, and I sense it was hotel staff going back and forth to a storage room located opposite our door. Doors opening / closing far too regularly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas_Kochs, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear “Pwgower”,

Thank you for your lovely review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience.

Your comment about the noise in the corridor has been well noted and, as a consequence, has been raised at our Daily Communication Meeting.

We hope to see you again soon.

With regards,

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The worst part was that I had only two nights in London at the Claridges. Luxurious accomodations with a wonderful staff to go with it. The room was very comfortable with nice furnishings. They even provided Burberry jackets/rain coats for guests to use during the stay. Now, that’s a first, at least for me. I was on a business trip, so I opted for room-service every single night! That was not a problem. The room service menu is so extensive so that you can dine a week without eating the same. The Claridges is truly a wonderful place. I will be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Oceans14

Dear “Oceans14”,

What a wonderful review and a huge thank you on behalf of everyone.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My partner and I spent a night at Claridge's at the invitation of our company. We were quite excited but what a let down.
Check in took 25 minutes.
They lost our bags somewhere between the taxi and the room for nearly an hour.
The room was dingy, poorly lit and noisy with a large extractor fan outside making a racket.
In fairness the staff were polite by and large but overall I was glad I wasnt paying!
Part of staying at such a hotel for "ordinary" folk like us is the experience. Its why people go to tea at the Ritz (or here) or travel on the Orient Express. If experience is your motivation for staying at Claridge's go elsewhere.

Room Tip: rooms with numbers in the range 128-140 are noisey
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Oystermouthensis

Dear “Oystermouthensis”

The last thing we want to do is to live on our reputation. Every day we are motivated by passion to deliver exceptional service experiences and create lasting and meaningful memories. Complacency is not really part of our vocabulary.

It was upsetting to us to read your review and I would like to look into this in more detail. Unfortunately, your Trip Advisor name does not enable me to track your booking and I would be grateful if you could contact me on tkochs@claridges.co.uk.

I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at Claridges for one night this week. We were allocated a non smoking room which smelt strongly of smoke and were eventually moved after asking at least 4 times. The new room was lovely, and smoke free. In the evening our party of c. 20 adjourned to the bar but was refused service because of the size of the party...all of whom were resident in the hotel! At breakfast service was again slow and I don't think all of my husbands breakfast ever arrived, but we gave up in the end. The speed of service overall was disappointing given the reputation of Claridges, and in spite of the number of staff that are on hand. There was one very helpful lady on reception, and a very helpful porter.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lynnic12

Dear “Lynnic12”,

The team and I are very sad to read that your service experience was not as you quite rightly expected it to be.

In the interests of all our guests, sometime ago we took the decision not to accept groups larger than eight in our restaurant and bars. When we know to expect large groups staying in the hotel we assign a dedicated team member to ensure that all the arrangements are made to the full satisfaction of the entire group and we always try to set certain areas aside to accommodate the service. Please believe me when I say that I am not just blandly communicating a “policy” to you, it is meant as an explanation.

I am really sorry for the disappointment you were caused and that your stay was not as perfect as I would have wished it to be. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and please know that I am always available on tkochs@claridges.co.uk

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The service at Claridges has dropped severely since the television programme. I have stayed at Claridges many many times! I even booked out a banquet room and eat there every other week. But that ended today. I wanted to book a room to propose to my girlfriend in. The front desk man called Nicolas was so unhelpful I wonder why they have a front desk. To be brief he told me I could not book a room at the hotel, I had to go home and book it online! I asked if I could see any of the very best rooms as it was a special occasion. He told me to go home and look at the website. I asked how much at least were the newest most modern rooms I had seen on TV, he said "I don't know" I said "I said it doesn't have to be exact just a general idea" he said "I don't know!" What a disgrace!!! We then told him that we wanted to speak to his manager and asked for his name. He twice asked rudely "why do you want my name" we stated that we wanted to make a complaint and only after we forced wanting to see his manager did he provide us his name. This place has dropped in standards. They are living on their reputation. I will never go back to claridges, they could not care less about a person wishing to propose at their hotel who has spent thousands at their hotel, then who exactly do they take care of. I recommend anyone reading this go to The Four Seasons in Park lane where the service was spectacular! Dorchester is also better as is the Savoy and the Ritz. Trust me on this Claridges has gone downhill fast and it breaks my heart! What a shame! P.S I am sure some member of claridges will write some waffle about how sorry they are but don't waste your time, its all hot air. A disgrace!

Stayed: March 2013
12  Thank Alexander7878

Dear “Alexander7878”,

It was obviously very unpleasant to read about your experience and as you know we have liaised directly on this matter. Once again, and in this forum, I, and especially Nicholas, apologise for this isolated incident.

We both wish that we could turn back the clock but I hope that, given your long relationship with Claridge’s, you can accept our apologies and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for many years to come.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

so from the flowers on the entrace,and the lovely butlers to granduer of the lobby...ive been here before to gordons but never stayed.it was one of my top 10 things to do but im disappointed,and i feel bad saying it but,cobbwebs on the ceiling and make up light which flickered like something from faulty tower and carpet coming up near the wardrobe.i expected so much more,the room seemed tired,the room was upgraded apparently as the room wasnt ready when we arrived.the lift was playing up,but that was fine because I WAS AT CLARIDGES.on the up side the barman OR SHOULD ISAY mr knowledge when it came to plonk and gave me an insight into what a 1,700 a shot of wiskey looked like and the most expensive bottle of champagne iv ever ever evr seen.so staff,amazing,lobby amziiiiinnnn,but the room.....mmmmmmmm we will leave it at that.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank karen242

Dear “Karen242”,

I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations, especially on such an important day. I hope that one day we will be able to show you that we can do much better and if you wish to reach out to me personally please feel free to do so at any time.

With kind regards,