“Timeless Elegance”

Ranked #50 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Timeless Elegance”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Surely my favourite hotel in the World. I love everything about this place from the beautiful rooms to the exceptional service. It's like stepping back in time in one way but also remains very current in another. Afternoon Tea is lovely, breakfast is fantastic, the spa is lovely, the bar is cool and the foyer is breathtaking.... I love the service, unhurried, formal but not stuffy and it really works well with the grandeur of the place. We had a gorgeous art deco room with marble bathroom, fireplace, desk, huge bed and seating area. I was very pleased as the reservation clerk asked me what type of decor I would like and he was spot on with his recommendation. The place oozes English charm, this really appeals to me. It's also worth mentioning that during breakfast the Wife looked over my shoulder and locked eyes with non other than James Bond (Daniel Craig). She will dine out on this story but I was a tad miffed at being upstaged during our romantic break. I suppose it's quite funny really and it only took me a few mouthfuls of Lapsang Souchong to get over it. If you get the chance stay here, do!

Room Tip: Discuss your taste with the hotel. They have art deco and modern rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear “JOel_K”,

Wow! This is fantastic feedback. We are so pleased that you left with such wonderful memories.

The team will be very pleased to read your review - thank you so very much.

Hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited here for a long weekend in November. The staff really did the hotel proud although on the Saturday and Sunday when it got busier the personal touch faded slightly. Breakfasts were excellent and very hard to fault. The room, while obviously not the most modern, was comfortable and everything worked perfectly. Plenty of wardrobe space. Would definitely visit again.

My one fault would be lack of ventilation on the bathroom. When showering or using the bath the steam was subsequent condensation was immense. The window would not open and there was no fan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear “Vitara-1”,

Thank you very much for the compliment you paid us and we will aim to iron out the two little creases on your next visit.

With all good wishes,

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had to go down to London on Business, which meant I had to be in Claridges for 09:00 on a monday morning so decided to stay there overnight and take my wife for a treat.

WOW!!! Everyone should experience (note I say "experience" rather than "stay at") Claridges. From the minute we stepped through the door to the minute we left we were made to feel special. Not intrusive with attention, but always special.

We arrived early, not having noted the check in time, and it was no bother. we were given a our of the downstairs of the hotel and its history, Churchil, Yugoslav royal family etc, etc. We were the given complimentary drinks until our room was ready.

Afternoon tea (we chose the champagne option) may seem expensive, but you can sit there all afternoon, only one round of champagne, but all the rst of the afternoon tea just keeps on coming, as long as you sit there. Try to work out how the heck they clean the modern chandelier!!

Likewise breakfast, phenomenal and with with that extra touch of class that seems to have been lost.

Well worth the cost and if I had the money I would stay here everytime.

Room Tip: We stayed sunday night and the rate was very good, only fractionally more than a "normal"...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jikoku
Dear “jikoku””,

One of our aims is to provide exceptional service and create lasting and meaningful memories. I am so glad that you called your stay an “experience” - it is very encouraging.

Thank you so much and please come back again soon.

With all good wishes,

London UK
Reviewed February 15, 2013

After seeing the TV show behind the scenes at Claridge's we decided to book for a special occasion (Valentines) but we wished we hadn't!

When we arrived they were pleasant enough and showed us to our room which was an upgrade due to booking with American Express as it is one of their perks. However, this was not a positive benefit as it was next door to a room being renovated and the noise and banging was very loud. We put up for it for a while but then decided it was too loud and disturbing and also the room was quite dark and oppressive so we asked if we could change rooms.

We spoke to reception and were told there was only one other room we could change to on the 5th floor, which was one floor up. We moved to this room and although it was lighter and brighter we noticed a very strong smell of cigarette smoke and thought that maybe someone next door was having a cigarette when they should not be. I assumed hotels are non smoking now as restaurants and other public areas as we were not told at any time this was a smoking room or floor.

We thought when we came back from dinner the smell would have gone but it was worse. We knew we could not change rooms again as we had been told that there was nothing else available and had to go into the bedroom and shut the door as the smell was so bad in the lounge area. This in effect means we were exposed to passive smoke for around 12 hours in total and for non smokers (my wife is asthmatic) this was horrible. There was little point paying out so much money for a suite (over £1,000) when we could not even use the lounge as the smell was so bad. I appreciate to some of you reading this it would not bother some people but for someone with asthma it was a real concern.

When we woke up the smell of cigarettes was still very strong so we called reception and were informed it was a smoking floor! However, at no time did anyone inform us of this when we were moved, surely they have a duty of care to their clients?? My wife used to work for a large cancer charity and she knows they would be very shocked to hear that members of the public were not warned it was a smoking floor as this is a serious health risk to non smokers. I pointed out that we were firstly put in a room with renovations going on next door and then moved to a room with a heavy smoker next door and in fact later learnt it was actually a smoking floor but at no time did they make us aware of this. We asked for this to be raised with a duty manager and we were assured when we checked out we would be seen by Alex the Duty Manager and to ask for him on our check out.

We had our breakfast (which with out sounding that all we do is moan it was very very basic and the worse breakfast we have ever had at a 5* hotel) we then went to check out asking for Alex only to be told he was with another client and unable to see us, the gentleman dealing with our check out said he would find another manager and then came back saying no-one was available to see us!

We got no apology and I felt sorry for him as he clearly did not know how to handle our situation and said they had taken money off the bill but there was no apology. He then said that we would receive a phone call from Alex as soon as he was finished but again we have not received any calls.

We decided to stay at this hotel rather than the Savoy (which by the way is excellent as was the Dorchester we have also stayed at) due to the television programme we had seen about the hotel, it showed them to be caring of their guests and a wonderful place to stay. I must say however our stay was far from what they portray and feel that this was a 'show' and in fact the real way they treat their customers is far removed from what was portrayed.

I understand we had a discount from our bill but we felt that it did not really compensate us for all the issues we faced and would say that an apology goes a long way to making a customer feel that their complaint has been heard, they did not bother to deal with our complaint in a satisfactory manner there was no apology and the discount on the room was quite frankly not enough.

I run my own business and would always make myself available if there are any complaints, I would never stay at this hotel again I would say to anyone else thinking of staying at this hotel to think again and go to the Savoy or Dorchester instead. The other reviews saying the hotel is shabby in places its very true. The entrance and lobby is lovely but the rooms are a let down, they are very shabby in areas and the staff seem to be going through the motions and not as friendly as they came across on the TV programme about the hotel - was that just for show!? Such a shame as the Savoy and Dorchester in comparison where both amazing in every way.

We left with a very bitter taste in our mouths, I would not wish anyone else to go through what we did.

We have also gone onto the Smokefree England web site information page (run in partnership with the NHS) and it clearly says that hotels should ensure that hotels rooms for smoking are clearly marked, there are cases of people suing and if we had seen notices that the 5th floor was designated to smokers we would not have accepted a room on that floor. My question is are they in fact adhering to current regulations and requirements?? They may have a designated floor for smokers but we should have been informed and secondly there are no notices that we saw on that floor to indicate it was a smoking floor or our room or any other rooms nearby.

When we asked why they did not let us know that floor was a smoking floor, the receptionist said you are right we should have informed you and that is our mistake. The smoke we had to endure could be seen, by the European Court on Human Rights, as a violation of our basic human rights.

it is a shame that our stay was such a disaster as the meal was very nice, what was a special occasion turned out to be an unpleasant experience. Many hours on we still have not received the promised call from Alex the duty manager and we have also sent a complaint by email again no-one has even bothered to reply.

If you like staff that are going through the motions but do not seem to really care, if you like run down rooms that are in our opinion over prices, if you like major works going on in the room next door so you cannot hear yourself think or very smoky rooms then you will love Claridge's if not I would suggest you try another 5* hotel who can get it right the first time! One bad room was bad enough but a second bad decision and the way it was handled afterwards just is not good enough in our books and we do not ask for much!

We often write about all the lovely hotels we have stayed at - what a shame this is not one of them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank SuebUK1967
Dear “SuebUK 1967”,

I am truly sorry that your experience at Claridge’s was neither what you hoped for nor what you were quite right to expect.

Relentlessly every day, we passionately work to create memorable service experiences and lasting and meaningful memories and when we fail to do so we are naturally very disappointed and regret it immensely.

I cannot go into the finer details of your stay in this forum but as you are liaising separately with our Front of House Manager, Miguel, I know that the details of your stay are being addressed.

I would like to officially apologise for the error we made regarding the smoking floor and hope you will be able to experience the true Claridge’s one day.

With renewed apologies,

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Big statement but this is one of my favourite hotels anywhere in the world! ! I would always choose to stay here when I am in London. It is the people that make it particularly special - nothing is too much trouble from the toothbrush I forgot to the need for an Australian convertor plug. The atmosphere is particularly special from the chat in the lift to the wonderful man who has been there for ever to the barman remembering what drink I like, despite the bar being extremely busy. Breakfast and Afternoon Tea are particularly special and the location and history make this hotel a must when in London.

Room Tip: There is some work going on at the moment to maintain the facade of this historic building. It is no...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FionaPollard
Hello Fiona Pollard and greetings to Australia.

Thank you so much for calling us one of your favourite hotels - it really means the world to us.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London but, in the meantime, I wish you safe travels.

All good wishes,

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My boyfriend treated me to an overnight stay and afternoon tea the following day for myself and my niece and nephew for my birthday and it was absolutely wonderful in every way. The fabulous Art Deco foyer, chandeliers, and beautiful grand piano music will take your breath away. If you are looking for opulent splendour and the best service imaginable, go to Claridges!

The staff seem to know instinctively what you require as a guest, for example, they knew we would be keen on the sofa arrangement seating at afternoon tea rather than the more formal chairs (being slouchy muso types this was perfect!) They also gave us the privacy that we wanted, but were very attentive if we did need any assistance.

This ultra-high level of service cannot even be taught, I think they must cherry-pick the creme de la creme of staff to work here. They are just such wonderful people, you can feel the warmth and caring that goes beyond just 'doing a job'. The loyalty that some staff have, many of them having worked here over many decades, results in incredible expertise in the way they conduct themselves. A truly fantastic hotel and one of Britain's absolute treasures! Other hotels should send their staff here to learn how things can be done at the highest level!!

It is small wonder that this was a favourite hangout of Princess Diana, and continues to be a top choice for many other VIPs and luminaries! It definitely gets my vote! We hope to return soon, and will certainly pop in for a cocktail at the Fumoir Bar when we're next in London. If funds permitted I would move into the hotel permanently! All I'd need is a rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi installed!

THANK YOU CLARIDGES FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!! WE LOVE YOU!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear “Paradise 111_12”,

It is wonderful to read your review and it is flattering and humbling at the same time.

I can speak on behalf of the entire team when I say that everyone who works here whole-heartedly wants to provide exceptional service and when it works and we read feedback such as yours it is so motivating.

Thank you very much and we hope to see you again soon.

Claridge’s loves you too!

With warm regards,

scotland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is one of my favourite hotels in the world. We visit every year for shows and shopping.
The service is so personable and the rooms/suites are gorgeous. Seeped in history. You feel so special from the time you walk in the front door to the the time you depart.
Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you can look for the hotels deals on their suites-you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear “m a”,

I am glad you felt special because that is what our guests are.

I hope you can cherish the memories of your stay and that you will be able to come back and see us again soon.

All good wishes.