“Perfect b&b/hotel to experience London” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ridgemount Hotel

Ridgemount Hotel
Ranked #129 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Perfect b&b/hotel to experience London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

Fantastic location, reasonable price, and helpful staff made London the favorite stop during our European trek.

Mr. Rees, his family, and staff could not have been more helpful. We stayed in the hotel the nights of Christmas eve and Christmas. What a wonderful surprise when Mrs. Rees came to our room on Christmas eve with several presents and treats! It was very heartwarming, especially since we missed being with the rest of our family on the holiday.

The hot breakfast was great (thankfully, no beans!). My sons and I had to leave very early on 26-Dec and the staff came in early just to prepare our breakfast. What service!

Hotel is in a perfect location to see everything in London. Close to the tube system, as well as the Pancras train station.

Thank you to the Rees family and the whole staff at the Ridgemount Hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

The hotel has a perfect location in Bloomsbury, you can walk to the city centre (Piccadilly, Covent Garden, Oxford street, ...).
The owners are very kind and friendly and can give you advice about bus, tube and much more. Breakfast is good, but not buffet.
Our room was small - good for us who spent 3 nights without luggage - if you want to stay longer try to ask for a larger one.
I think in London you can't find something better, so close to the centre and not expensive (double room with bathroom £78 - Nov 2009).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Forlimpopoli, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

I just returned home today from the Ridgemount hotel and I'm happy with it.
I had booked a single room with shared facilities, £43 per night (for Christmas).
The hotel is rather easy to find, just print out the map on the "location" page of their website and that is just enough to reach there. One of the biggest advantages is it is at close reach of four tibe stations: Goodge Street (really close, just around the corner), Euston Square (close too, at the end of the street), Warren Street (they say it's close though I didn't try it), Russell Square (handy for the British museum though it's a bit more to walk).
The Ridgemount hotel is a family-managed hotel, though they do offer quite a professional service. The older man that stays at the reception is really helpful for anything you may need and the women at the breakfast are good too.
Breakfast: by default guests are given a glass of orange juice and asked if wanting some cereals, I always went straight to the English breakfast, with no cereals. On the plate you will find 1 fried egg + 2 broad slices of bacon + 1 item that changes everyday. For me the item that changed everyday was sausage on Monday, tomato on Tuesday, baked beans on Wednesday. Additional there is always toasts (at will), more free range butter (let me say, it was great, I loved the butter!) and orange jam (very good too). For the drinks: coffee or tea and milk is requested. Also breakfast is included in the price of the room, which in recent years is quite an uncommon thing to find.
Room: just starting to say that I decided for a single room with shared facilities but wasn't sure about it, actually I found it really good. The mattress was ok and new, linens always clean and bed made perfectly. Also the floor was cleaned very well, I could not find any trace of dust anywhere. There was a basin in the room that came just handy.
There were no coffee & tea facilities in the room because they were available in the lounge (see below).
Shared facilities: I thought shared facilities would be a problem, but that wasn't the bathroom I shared with others was actually divided in three small rooms. One with bath tub, toilet and sink, one with toilet and sink, one with shower. It is all clean, used but clean, I never found anything wrong with any of these so that was really positive. Only down I found, the bathroom can get quite cold at night...I didn't see any heater there.
Noise: I did not have any problem with noise coming from the outside, yes the road is just there and you can hear some traffic, but it wasn't bad, nor annoying. Barely heard it.
Another matter is the noise coming from the inside, two main problems there: the floors are carpeted but I think there must be wood underneath because you can clearly hear people walking on the room above yours. It is not a problem, not annoying, and the guests are not noisy, but yes you can hear that. The second problem is when the guests in the room above mine used their sink I'd get some loud noises, that must have been the drain, wasn't very pleasing but happened maybe once in a day so it was ok for me, seen the price.
Heat: as I entered the room the first day, the heater was on. The other days I have never found it on again, I am not sure if that was intentional or not. It wasn't a problem and the room was warm anyways.
Access: when I arrived I was given a key for my room and a key for the front door, with that I had full access 24 hours per day.
Lounge: the lounge at the ground floor is free for the guests to use, there is internet access (not sure if wireless too) through a computer in a corner. Free coffee and tea (machine on the right) and drinks (on the left, not free) a tv, chairs and sofas, books, magazines and leaflets. It was really comfortable and I enjoyed it.
There is no elevator so people with problems carrying bags on the stairs may not like it, but it was fine with me.
Overall I definitely recommend it, a clean hotel with English breakfast and free internet in London surely doesn't cost just £43 per night!! Recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank meryjune
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

Stayed at the Ridgemount during the week of Thanksgiving. It's located about 3 blocks from the Goodge tube stop. Note that this tube stop has lots of stairs if you have lots of luggage. If you are tubing in from Heathrow, you might want to take the line to the Russell Square stop, a little further, where I was told it has a better elevator (lift) situation but still within walking distance. This hotel doesn't have a lift either but the stairs weren't bad. We had a triple with an en suite bath. The room was typically smallish but pretty quiet considering it's an older hotel. Double pane windows helped to reduce street noise. Heat and hot water worked fine. Bed's were plain but comfortable.
The family that runs this hotel made this a great personal experience. Full English breakfast is included and they'll make eggs to order if you don't like "sunny side up." Small dining area but they brought out food quickly so turnover was fast and we never had to wait. The staff helped us get around town and offered suggestions on where to eat and shop nearby. Front desk was manned until the wee hours after which you used your room key to get in. Getting extra towels was never a problem. Did I mention that the staff always smiled when you spoke to them? Nice...
Don't expect all of the amenities you would find in the chrome and glass chains, but they did have an internet PC to use and WiFi, I was told. There wasn't a public printer but you could email stuff to the hotel and they will gladly print it out for you.They have a nice little library area with TV, books, tourist information and comfy furniture. Also, the 24 hour free coffee and tea were good, despite it's instant-ness. Cold drinks were available for a reasonable price. Minor nit: no clock/alarm in room but wake-up calls worked fine. In fact, London seems to have passed a law that the only visible clock is Big Ben. TV was small but had enough channels to satisfy my family. Bottom line: looking forward to staying here again next time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Tump01
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

On arrival the late middle aged owner and I had a disagreement over the deposit paid for by a colleague; we arrived before the colleague and the hotel owner exploded in a furious temper when I told him I was only staying one night; the colleague was staying two nights in a separate room; my companion and I in our own room. [The colleagues The owner, an older middle aged man, has a furious verbal temper and is what we call WHA: a walking heart attack. Best to have a cell (mobile) phone in case you have to call the medics for him.
THE ROOMS:
Almost every building on Gower Street over the length of at least three long blocks is a hotel so there's no shortage of other places to choose from if you want to sleep at a Gower Street hotel with traffic noise all night long.
At the Ridgemount, expect to have a long night with no sleep. Our room looked out on Gower Street, and even with the traffic dramatically lessened from the early Feb. snowstorm, there were trucks and buses rumbling and clanging along all night long; around 4:00-5:00 a.m. a lot more traffic began going by; it was impossible to sleep.
BREAKFAST:
The worst I've encountered at a B&B or hotel in the UK. For cold cereal they use whole fat milk. (don't bother asking for non-fat or even skim milk).
Toast is made with white bread; don't bother asking for multi-grain, whole wheat or anything healthy, There is no fresh fruit.
Suggest go a few blocks away to the President Hotel (also in the Russell Square district) where one can rent a clean, nicer room, no street traffic noise, and where they have a decent breakfast including fresh fruit, breads, pastries, croissants, hot and cold breakfast foods.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Friendly staff
Free web in lounge

However, the cons:

Rooms are tiny
Well outdated – furnishing, carpeting, bathroom etc
Noisy even at the back of hotel from other occupants and people coming up/down stairs – could even hear the person going to the toilet in the room above!
Very basic breakfast
Not tea/coffee facility in room

On the whole, unless you are completely strapped for cash, fork out a bit more and stay elsewhere. Whilst I found staff friendly, I could imagine if I had a complaint/problem, they were not the type that would be understanding.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mohamed P
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

I booked the hotel on the basis of glowing Tripadvisor reviews which on reflection may for once have been a little rose tinted! The hotel is perfectly situated close to 3 tube stations and 10 or 15 minutes from just about any attraction you care to mention. It is also very cheap, I paid £55 for a midweek night including VAT and breakfast. The owners and staff are very friendly and keen to accomodate. The room was the smallest I have ever stayed in and the bed the narrowest I have ever slept in but it was all clean and functional. The overall impression of the hotel is tired. There is no telephone in the rooms and only the most basic tv and the hotel is very close to UCL and there was quite a lot of street noise. For 1 night in London it did the trick. If you want very very basic at low cost with absolutely no frills then for the money it's fine. What you get is a fair reflection of what you pay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business