“Good hotel in a nice location”
Review of Ridgemount Hotel

Ridgemount Hotel
Ranked #130 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My family of four stayed for five nights. An ensuite room was not available, so we had shared baths. The room was on the top floor with the shared bathroom right outside the door. There were also other shared facilities on other floors very nearby. They were all clean and convenient. The hotel was very close to the british museum and easy to walk or take the bus to other London attractions. We had a garden side room and it was quiet at night even with the windows open. The Wi-Fi was fast. The staff was very helpful and gave advice on buses to take and activities in London I was extremely satisfied with this hotel for my family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank avelina

Reviewed July 12, 2014

My family of four stayed for four nights in the family ensuite room. This room is down in the basement next to the dining room. The room was small and clean and well maintained. The breakfast served was very delicious and everyone was very friendly. The owners went to each table every morning to see how we were doing and what we were going to do that day. They gave us tips on where to go and when to go that was very helpful. We were just a few minutes walk to several underground train stations and the British Museum is just down the street.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank msroy616
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This hotel lives really up to all the good things that are being written here. It is located at about 15 minutes (on foot) from the Eurostar terminal, close to Covent Garden (10 minutes on foot) and the British museum. A few tube stops are also close-by (max 5 minutes).
The hotel itself is simple, I had a very small single room (n° 25)but it was comfortable and quite. I t was furnished with a small closet, a desk, a rather small bed and a sink. Bathrooms were plenty on the landings. The room and the hotel in general was very clean and well maintained.
Breakfast was included and it was a good way to start the day. In fact, every day the staff proposed a small variation on the English breakfast (eggs, bacon and toast or cereals were standard and sausage, ham or baked beans were added on some days). The staff served the breakfast at the table and always asked if everything was alright and if we wanted, they would happily provide travel information.
I really enjoyed my stay here and if I go back to London, I would gladly return to this lovely budget place.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank jenaipas
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I needed a place to stay for 3 nights and many places were booked, so we found this hotel to be a great find for the value. The best part we thought was the breakfast and warmth of the hosts. Everyone there was really friendly and helpful with advice for tourists. Breakfast was plentiful and does really keep you going all day...sometimes we could even skip lunch, which also saved money. The room was very clean and quite spacious. Our only complaint would be the noise from the heavy traffic outside. We were unable to get a room facing the courtyard, so we had to get one facing the street. Since it can get a little warm inside during the summer, we needed to keep our window open, and this was a problem with the sirens and constant traffic throughout the night, so keep this in mind when booking. The bed also could have been a little more comfortable, but it was adequate. Again, we would stay here again because it really is a nice, clean place; however, we would only stay if we could get a room away from the street. Have fun...London is great!

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the garden/courtyard vs. the street...too noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmstone80
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We've been staying at the Ridgemount for more than 25 years. The owners are very kind and hospitable. The rooms are clean and adequate. Staff is friendly and the full breakfast will keep you going all day. The location is terrific. Great Hotel, nice people.
Many Americans have recently found the Ridgemount. Groups of American girls have a habit of coming to breakfast barefoot and or in their pajamas. Some even put their bare feet up on the chairs in the dining room. Ladies please try to understand, you are not at home, the hotels public space is not your personal space. Don’t be rude, put on some shoes and dress like an adult. We came down to the lobby one morning to find our path from the stairs blocked. An American girl was doing her yoga at the base of the stairs on the floor of the public lobby. She looked at us like we were supposed to find a way around her sweaty sprawl in consideration of her higher transcendent calling. So rude and thoughtless. Memo to American girls, either learn how to behave in public or stay home.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Aristes
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This was my second stay at the Ridgemount and I was just as impressed as last time.

I stayed in room 25, a single room with shared bathroom, for two nights while attending a conference for work.

The room was small but spotlessly clean and with a comfy bed. The window overlooked the garden. The tv and hair drier were both in good working order and there was a wardrobe, desk and sink area.

The bed was made and towels replaced daily, all linen was soft and fresh smelling.

The toilets and showers available were small but very clean. I never had to queue to use them so them being shared was not an issue.

Breakfast on the first morning was bacon, egg and tomato with toast. Second morning was bacon, egg and beans with toast. I had coffee and orange juice both days and was also offered cereal, which I declined. All food was well cooked and tasty.

The staff were friendly and helpful and offered me directions and local information.

The hotel is very basic and the single rooms are very small, however it is very affordable and in a great location which makes it excellent value for money.

I have already booked a room for my next trip to London in September.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Myles1980
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed one night with my adult son. We asked for a twin room with a shared bathroom, but were allocated a large room with two single and one double bed. The room was spacious if a bit stuffy but then the weather was very warm! The bathrooms were a short walk from the room. They were clean and we had no trouble getting a shower either in the evening or the morning. This is an older hotel and the furnishing are a little shabby, but the price is excellent for central London. We loved the location - very central. Breakfast was basic - limited choice served at the table rather than self service - but adequate.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family