“good budget hotel”

Ridgemount Hotel
Ranked #129 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“good budget hotel”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

we stayed in a family room the last week for June for 5 nights. Keeping in mind that it is a budget hotel, we were happy with our experience. It was very nice to have a hot breakfast every morning. We got a bit tired of ham and the staff was wonderful in providing an extra egg or extra sausage in lieu of the ham if you ask them. The neighborhood was great!... of our 3 week trip to europe (france and london), 2 of our best meals of the entire trip were neighborhood restaurants by the hotel. There is also a great grocery store very close by. Subway stations are close by. The family room (2 singles and a double) was a bit tight in space... basically you get the beds packed pretty close together, a washroom and a tv. The double bed isn't the size of a north american double, it is between a twin and double size, so keep this in mind. I ended up sharing it with our daughter and my husband took one of the single as did my son (the singles are also skinnier than a twin bed). You can hear street noise but we knew this from reading other reviews (and from our past europe trips to italy and spain) so we brought ear plugs and had no issues. The owners are very nice. For getting value and a great location, I don't think you can beat this place. Certainly you can find nicer accommodations but you would have to give up $ or location to do so.

2 Thank Ryes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed four nights in the Ridgemount Hotel in June/July 2013. We are three adults and we shared a room on the ground floor with a private bathroom. The rooms are very simple but were extremely clean and comfortable. The staff were always very friendly and gave us good advice about the area. They were also kind enough to let us drop off our bags early, since our flight arrived way before check-in, as well as leave our bags there again after check-out since our train was later in the day. The location is great because it is not in a busy, touristy area, yet there are still places to go out to eat or grab a drink and there are multiple tube stations within a short walk. The beds were comfortable and there was not any street noise or anything to keep us up at night. The bathroom was always clean and the water temperature and pressure was perfectly fine. Breakfast was served in a downstairs dining area, with table service and cheery waitresses. The breakfast was filling and typically consisted of coffee/tea, orange juice, toast, cereal, bacon, and eggs. Some days there were also beans or sausage. If we have the opportunity to return to London, we would likely return to this hotel as it is a great value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rachelk456
Kansas City
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the Ridgemount for four nights in June, 2013 during a vacation to London. There were three of us in one room with one bathroom, and it worked just fine. It was a little tight, but we expected that. It was very clean, the beds were comfortable and the TV and Internet worked well. We had a room that faced Gower Street, and it was a bit noisy. I'm a light sleeper and came prepared with ear plugs. That did the trick, and I slept great. We didn't hear any other guests. The breakfasts were good and the service was great. Best of all, the management helped us find our way around London, providing us flawless directions, bus numbers and tube stops. I would definitely stay here again and recommend the Ridgemount to friends and family.

Room Tip: Book early to get a room off Gower Street.
1 Thank Mike F
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My original review of the Ridgemount Hotel was removed on the grounds that we did not stay the night and therefore I should not have reviewed, for example, the hotel’s sleep quality. I find it ironic that I am not permitted to review a hotel in terms of sleep quality when the room—and the mattress in particular—facilities were so poor that staying overnight was impossible.
I have stayed in all sorts of hotels/motels/inns/converted barns/hostels all over the world, and never have I not found something to love about the room. Not so the Ridgemount Hotel, which was so reminiscent of my long-ago volunteer days in a tragic psychiatric facility (now closed) in Ontario, we had to leave the hotel despite our having paid for four nights in a row.

To begin, the stuffy room was smaller than a prison cell, and, as I said, about as cheerful. The noise from the street below was immediately overwhelming, and there was no room to unpack our luggage. Worse, the chair was unsittably lumpy and the bed so uncomfortable we had nowhere to sit or lie down except on the toilet. While it is true we were unable to stay the night, I laid on the bed (or tried to) long enough to know that getting up from it was nearly impossible. My son and partner did the same thing, because I worried I was being unfair. We all came to the same conclusion: the mattress was horrible.
My son (we had booked him into a room on the lower floor), rolled a water bottle along the floor, the two of us gobsmacked by the threatening angle/s. In fact, the floors/carpet were such a hilly mess, we could barely walk across the tiny room. It was like living inside of an Escher print. The discrepancy between the height of the bed at the bottom versus the top was shocking (we measured, incredulous), and the bare walls and cheap, fluorescent lights capped off the bleakness to such effect I felt close to heartbroken.

My son foraged on for two nights in his cramped room (we all foraged in to compare) below while we moved on, thanks to booking.com, to comparably exquisite surroundings. Throughout our stay in London and the Yorkshire Dales (we walked one of the trails) we stayed in six places, all of them terrific. And as much as I appreciated that the Ridgemount could refund only two of our four night reservation, given that the bed was unsittable, I think they ought to have refunded it all. (I knew, actually, as we waited into the front room to be admitted to our rooms, that things were askew, given that we practically fell into the sad chairs, whose springs must have died years ago.)

My son said that the breakfasts were edible and the people friendly, but that he was kept awake in his hot, street-level room by inebriated young people who lined the street in front of his room and who were guests of the Ridgemount Hotel.

11 Thank Jennifer C
Pulaski, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at the Ridgemount for five nights in June, with four of us sharing one room. Yes, it was a bit small, but we were in town to see London, not to sit in our rooms. The elderly couple (owners?) were extremely friendly, especially the husband who came around each morning during the more than filling English breakfast to see what everyone was up to for the day and to make recommendations. Thanks to him, we did NOT miss the Queen's Birthday Parade, where we got excellent pictures of the entire royal family! Believe me, for a group of Americans, this was the highlight of the trip! The rooms were spotlessly cleaned each day, and the common room was a nice place to enjoy a take-away dinner one night. The beds were very hard, but I found this to be the case everywhere we stayed on this trip! With a bus stop right outside and the Tube only a few easy blocks away, this was a great base from which to explore the city. We never had a problem with noise, and they even put a fan in our room one day when it was getting warmer, without our even asking. For the price, I would definitely recommend the Ridgemount.

1 Thank aprillyn
Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We picked the Ridgemount Hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. As a family of 5 (with 3 college age children) we wanted a place where we could afford two room with private baths. Our priorities were cleanliness and location. We were not disappointed! Three of us had a room in the basement in the back of the hotel. The other two stayed on the top floor in the front of the building. Noise at night was not a problem in either room. We were well prepared for the small, sparse rooms and the age of the building from reading the reviews. The cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms certainly made up for the lack of space. We found the building and it quirks charming rather than annoying. Breakfast was a nice way to start the day and the waitresses were very friendly. The Rees family and all the staff were very helpful. It was our first visit to London and we had wonderful time exploring the city. The Ridgemount Hotel proved to be a great base of operation for our family. Every morning we were asked our plans for the day and given useful information on how to get to our destinations. Being close to several tube stations, across the street from a bus stop and walking distance to the British Museum makes the location ideal. We felt very much at home in the hotel and in the neighborhood. We highly recommend this hotel if you want basic but immaculate rooms, a great location and friendly staff.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if stairs are an issue, ask for a ground level room. Back of the building i...
5 Thank LondonFun2013
AledRees, Manager at Ridgemount Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad that you found the hotel so clean and that you liked the location so much. We are very lucky with our staff, they have all been with us a long time and I am glad you found them so helpful. Thank you once again for taking the time to write about us, it is greatly appreciated.
tel aviv
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The location is perfect (in the middle in a good surroundings- were quite safe walking alone at night)
the room was very clean
the stuff were nice and pleasent. the owners (a very nice couple were willing to advice and help on every subject)
i felt i got a nice reward for relatively low price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nofrit B
AledRees, Manager at Ridgemount Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We are also very happy that you chose to stay at the Ridgemount, The fact this is a university area does mean that there are always people about and I am glad that you found the area to be safe. It is a good spot and we are lucky to have so many good bus routes and tube stations around us. I am glad that you found my parents helpful. We try to keep our prices as low as possible so it is always nice when someone finds us to be good value for money. Thanks once again for the review.