“An excellent affordable hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ridgemount Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ridgemount Hotel
Ranked #131 of 1,089 Hotels in London
New Zealand
“An excellent affordable hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed three nights at this hotel having chosen it as the best value hotel in this area on Tripadvisor.
Although it was on a central bus route and a relatively busy street it was quiet inside. I had a room to the rear of the building
The staff were all friendly and were keen to offer advice and directions. I spent some time in the lounge to use the free wifi and to read and the guests were friendly too.
I expected a small room, it is a fact of life in these London hotels but it was well appointed and the lounge and breakfast room were very comfortable.
The service in the breakfast room was very friendly.
I am not fortunate to come to London very often, however this is the first hotel that I would choose to return to.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and was given one at the back
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bob1NZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Ridgemount Hotel and found it to be an excellent value. It is extremely well located - the first day we walked to Trafalger Square. The staff is extremely helpful, especially regarding directions. They gave us maps and other helpful materials to explain the nearby bus routes, which helped us to make our train on time on our last day. Breakfast was huge; I never once finished it (my husband managed). Our room (#28) was very small. But, the proprietor told us it was the smallest room and the only one left when we booked. They gave us a slight discount because of the small size (90 pounds per night for a room with a private bathroom). The room was perfectly comfortable despite its small size and we managed without much trouble. The entire hotel was impeccably clean. We had a room facing the street on the third floor and while we experienced some street noise (as well as some noise from the other rooms) it wasn't anything that kept us from sleeping soundly. I highly recommend this hotel and would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 28 is the smallest room with a bathroom in the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LexiV
Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

The stay was not as pleasant as those great reviews led me to believe. Let me begin with the positive aspects.

As most other reviews will say, the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. They asked us several times if we needed any help getting to where we wanted to go. The breakfast included with the stay was quite filling. The hotel wifi was strong, something I was very grateful for. The hotel location is fantastic for those needing to travel around central London, and there are both underground stations as well as a railway station within walking distance.

Now for the negative. There was a lot of noise from Gower street, as we had a room at the front. This was not too much of issue as the windows were made to keep out street noise. Other aspects were far more annoying.

First of all, the floor of our room was at an angle; a pillow had been placed under the bedding on the lower side, perhaps in an attempt to make the problem less uncomfortable. Secondly, there about an inch and a half gap between the bottom of our room door and the floor; we could hear it every time others in the house left their rooms or went to use the hallway bathrooms. There are obviously also privacy issues with such a large gap. Finally, the walls were ridiculously thin. To give you an idea, when those in the room next door had their television turned on at the same time we did, we often could not hear our own over theirs. I was forced to pull my bed to the other side of the room one night when it was running late into the night; it sounded as though it was right in the room.

With all the great reviews for this hotel, I am somewhat confused. It may be that one section is worse than the others; I was placed in the right side of the hotel on the ground floor. As my stay was however, I do not think I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms facing the front street, as there is a lot of noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank schwarzmasa
Newton, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This lovely hotel was enjoyed by our son for 5 days. I get to write the review because I paid for it. Not only did he say they were very, very helpful with directions, information, recommendations and everything else for our 23 year old to manuever around London on his own but they endured my extraordinary confusion regarding me sending my credit card info ahead of him. They were quite gracious in light of my errors. He loved the breakfast and comfortable beds and cleanliness. He found the location absolutely perfect for getting around to all the sites. He would go again in a heartbeat but he'll have to pay his own way. Thank you Ridgemount Hotel, you really are outstanding.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel regularly for years and I've never had a bad experience at this place.
The location is fantastic! The West End is in walking distance and you have a bus station right across the street plus several tube stations less than a 10 minute walk away.
The hotel itself is basic but clean. You can choose between ensuite and basic rooms (toilet and shower to share). The shared facilities are all clean and I've never had to queue to take a shower or use the toilet.
The rooms aren't big but the size is just fine in my opinion. I've never had an issue with any of the rooms I've stayed in (and I've stayed in quite a few different ones over the years).
The staff is always friendly and helpful. Everyone is always happy to assist with whatever question you may have.
You get free Wifi in the whole hotel, English breakfast is included and you can often check into your room as early as 12 which is definitely not the norm in London.
I'd highly recommend this hotel for a city break. Fantastic location, great price, friendly staff, cleanliness - the Ridgemount has it all.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Steffi_G79
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am in London with a good friend several times a year, and we always stay at the Ridgemount, if possible. Price and location are great: it's just a short walk to Leicester Square and conveniently located close to both Goodge Street Station and Russell Square Station and the neighborhood is safe to walk in, even late at night.

The rooms are small, but clean, and the beds are comfortable. Sometimes there is a bit of noise from the street, but the great location more than makes up for it. The Ridgemount provides free wifi, and computers and books are available in the cozy lounge. Rooms are available ensuite or with shared facilities. You may want to book a bit in advance, since this is a small family hotel and is booked pretty quickly during busy times.

I recommend the Ridgemount to friends and family when they are planning to visit London. You won't find anything nicer at this price and so close to the city centre. The Rees family are wonderful and they always go out of their way to help out with any questions we may have. It always feels a little like coming home :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed in a family room (room 31) on the top floor ... 59 steps up. We carried our heavy bags up and down and walked the stairs several times a day between trips around London. This wouldn't have been an issue had we not been at the end of our holiday with all our bags with us.

This place is more like a guest house - clean and tidy - rather than a hotel.

The family room was on the small side for us, especially with little room to put suitcases. The room had two single beds and a double, though the wife thinks that it could have been a king single. The room has an ensuite with shower and toilet.

One thing to note is that the UCH (Hospital) is just up the road. The number of sirens (ambulance & police) that we heard each evening was an unwelcome reminder of life in the city centre. Closing the windows and secondary double glazing helped a little but the room could get a little stuffy with four people in it.

I found the room warm in late afternoon and we had to open the windows to get any relief. It soon cooled and it was mostly comfortable during the evening.

The proprietor and staff were welcoming and provided good advice on special events occurring in London.

Breakfast was interesting. A choice of four cereals followed by a mini cooked breakfast of eggs + bacon and one other from an apparent rotating schedule of other foods (tomatoes, sausage or beans). As much toast as you could eat and tea / coffee / hot chocolate / orange juice.

There was a lounge with coffee machine, tv and two computers with internet connectivity. We didn't use this facility.

We have stayed in better places in London but they were more expensive. We chose this place for its location within central London and the transport links here are excellent. The price of the accommodation is fair given the location. The accommodation is clean and tidy and the staff were very good. I'd recommend it but don't expect a palace.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Gower Street are likely to be quieter. Ask the Proprietor for options on room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family