“Just what we needed”
Review of Crescent Hotel

Crescent Hotel
Ranked #545 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had the Crescent recommended to us and decided to give it a go this August. We stayed in a double for five nights (Room 1). The room was quiet and comfortable, not huge by any means, but big enough and clean enough. There was free wifi that worked, although there is also a computer in the sitting room on the main floor which you are free to use. Breakfast was hardly lavish but fine. It got me stoked for the day. I can't really fault the Crescent for much. The staff was always pleasant and the location is great (between Russel Square and King's Cross/St. Pancras stations). I will say this, though. The Crescent is not normally my kind of hotel. It is a bed & breakfast place, old and smallish. I happen to like my hotels new and sleek. But in London one has to compromise and the Crescent did the job very nicely.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, stay away from the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TorontoBobby

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The area was charming and quaint. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. Every recommendation they provided was fabulous! The full daily American breakfast was delicious and very filling. The wait staff was friendly and prompt, yet we were not rushed. We were conveniently located near the tube so it was easy to get around. Not far from the British Museum and fine restaurants and pubs. Our room was spacious, clean, but its age shows. Nevertheless it was a great value and we enjoyed our four days in London!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The breakfast was fantastic and the service delightful. Even with my tiny single room, I still enjoyed the London charm. Sure I had to share a bathroom, but I knew that prior to booking. I would definitely stay there again if back in London on business. The single room I had was on the top floor with no lift. So, not recommended for those who have trouble climbing narrow staircases (or are coming back late from drinking. ;)

Room Tip: The single room I had was on the top floor with no lift. So, not recommended for those who have trou...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This small hotel offered a friendliness not seen in larger properties, run by Russian family in the heart of King's Cross in central London, an area filled with tourists from all over the world. Having read reviews of both the hotel and the area, I was not too surprised to find that it was located in an area that was not only a former red-light district but a current one. My stay was pleasant, and the staff was extraordinarily helpful. It was steps from the 'tube', where ticketing was clearly marked and easy to understand, and it was a half hour's walk on quiet streets to the Slimelight, an internationally known gothic club. The property's central location makes use of public transportation a breeze. London's infrastructure seems very tourism-friendly as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

As long as you aren't expecting a 5 Star hotel, I think you'll love this place. It has more of a B&B feel than hotel, with a friendly family coziness. The room and linens were immaculate and soft. We arrived early so had to stow our luggage while waiting on the room. The storage area was secure and the room ready at the time promised. They served a hearty english breakfast and accommodated one early morning with a tray of porridge, bread and jam the night before. The eggs were a bit over cooked, but not so much they tasted off. The only complaint was the nighttime noise. Although it was a quiet street in general, since we had to leave the windows open, the people outside talking and rolling luggage was disturbing. Next time I would ask for a room in the back if there in the summer. For a mid-price hotel, very nice overall.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked a room at the Crescent for three nights upon arrival in London and then for another night on my way out after traveling to Glasgow. A friend who'd stayed here before recommended it. I am so glad I took her up on her recommendation. This hotel is lovely for a budget price. Both the rooms I stayed in were clean and well-maintained. The breakfast was absolutely lovely (wonderful wait staff). The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. I am particularly indebted to Tomas, who not only carried my heavy suitcase up 3 flights of stairs but also insisted I ask him to come and help carry it down when I departed. The best part of this hotel is the location -- it is on a quiet garden crescent but very near good pubs, restaurants and only 10 mins walk from London Euston, St. Pancras and Russell Square, as well as the British Library and the British Museum. Also, as I was visiting with several friends who live in London, it was nice to be able to ask them to come to this neighborhood, which is very convenient for all, rather than to an airport hotel or something like that. (And for Sherlock fans, Speedy's Cafe, the "location" of 221B Baker Street in the series, is just 15 mins walk!). Highly recommended, but one should keep in mind that I was traveling on a budget, and did not mind the stairs!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank sreed151
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been to London many times and always on a tight budget, and this is by far the best and most inexpensive hotel I've ever stayed in. I was in a single room with shared bathroom, the bed was excellent and the room had plenty of space for one, Very helpful and friendly staff and the hotel is located in a very nice and quiet part of london. I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo