“Friendly, convenient, great location!”
Review of Crescent Hotel

Crescent Hotel
Ranked #529 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Friendly, convenient, great location!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at the end of October. I booked the single room with shared bathroom.
In reality they gave me the room with shower but because they had problems with the hot water steam (that was setting off the fire alarm) it wasn't usable and I had a separate bathroom with shower and wc (very close to my bedroom and very clean!).
The only negative surprise was to find cigarette holes and (many) body hair on my bed sheets that supposedly had been changed before my check-in.
I pointed that out and the lady at the reception went up to change them right away.
single room was on the 5th floor but that didn't bother me at all. I must say that probably the heating wasn't completely on yet and also the water pressure was a little week, but the bed was super comfortable and warm.
Simple but freshly made breakfast in the morning...and perfect location...you can walk almost anywhere!
Would definitely go back!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bandeapart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
Pisa, Italy
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I enjoyed very much my stay in the hotel. It is very quite and charming. Conveniently located in the hearth of Bloomsbury, close to the British Library. In front of the hotel there is a beautiful garden. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. I liked the feeling of being in a traditional house. Breakfast is traditional, not many choice but good. Room service is very good. The staff was efficient and very nice. There is no elevator and if your room is at third floor be prepared, there is a twisting staircase. Furniture is classic; in my room I had a small fireplace (of course I didn’t set up a fire). I definitely recommend the hotel to people who want enjoy a classic english house in the hearth of one of the most romantic neighborhood of London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Massimo C
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was our fourth visit (Sept 27 - Oct 3). We like the double ensuite rooms on the first floor (American second floor). We're getting a little old for non-ensuite.

There is at least one bath tub in the common area, for those who have trouble with the small shower.

When we were there, there was a tremendous rainstorm at night. We had to use a newspaper (the Economist) to stop the window from rattling.

They could use better lighting at the bedside tables, so that one person could read while the other wanted to sleep. When I mentioned this to my wife just now, she said " couldn't you just have removed the lampshade?" Maybe that could have worked.

We like the Crescent, and hope to return.

-- Steve

Room Tip: Any room on the first floor (American second floor) is good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YakkinYeti
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here 6 nights in Sept. 2012. We had room 2 in the basement with 3 beds for 3 women. One of the beds was a cot, but it was very comfortable. The room was nice sized, the bathroom was huge and the whole place was very clean. Breakfast was nice, nothing too special but the staff was efficient and attentive. Crescent Hotel offers a computer in the lounge and we found this very helpful for plans and for keeping in touch. The location is quiet and close to King's Cross as well as numerous restaurants and pubs.

Room Tip: There is no lift so if this matters I would contact them when booking.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank genabobina
Canton of Aargau, Switzerland
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in this hotel. I loved the charm and that the rooms and twisting staircases added quirkiness.
The sitting room was well used by guests, which had a computer for use, although WIFI was available. It was nice to have a place where you could chat to others.
The bedrooms were very clean and tastefully furnished. Ample toiletries and towels were also provided. Yes, the shower was small but it did the job and to be honest it could not have been any bigger, it simply would not have fit.
I did notice at breakfast the lady who had booked us in the day before came down to greet what seemed like "regulars" to the hotel. I thought this personal touch really was indicative of this place. On the day I had to leave a warning had been up close to the sitting room warning of possible confidence tricksters in the neighborhood. They really cared about the guests.
I can see why people would return here. Everything about this charming old building is spot on in my opinion. I would definitely enjoy a chance for a return visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tievie
IL
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have stayed at the Crescent Hotel with myself and my mother four or five times since 2009, our last trip being around New Years of this year. Every stay has been just as wonderful as the first. The rooms are clean and comfortable, they have a lounge with a computer and internet access, and the breakfast is wonderful (especially the tea; it's possibly my favorite part of the trip). Every time we arrive, it feels like going home.

The only time I've ever had a problem is when we were given a room that looked out onto the courtyard. The hotel itself is non-smoking, but when we left the windows open the smoke would drift into our room. Any hint of tobacco-product smoke gives me a headache, no matter how faint the smell, so I don't know if it would bother someone with a less sensitive nose. We also apparently found mildew on the shower curtain once, though I don't remember that so it can't have been all that traumatizing. The computer is also often occupied, but people don't seem to use it for very long. The most I've ever had to wait is around 20 minutes, and the person before me was getting on just as I walked in the door to the lounge.

The location is also excellent. The hotel is within walking distance of King's Cross, Euston, and Russell Square tube stations. Cartwright Gardens (which includes a playground that I am sadly getting a bit too large for, but was pretty much the most amazing thing ever four years ago) is also within easy walking distance. The first few trips, we came back to the hotel area and alternated between eating at Strada and GBK (Gourmet Burger Kitchen) for dinners, but now I'm a less picky eater and we just eat wherever we happen to be when we get hungry. There's a little cafe just around the corner that has marvelous chips and fish and jacket potatoes, as well as a mall with Giraffe, Strada, GBK, a smoothie shop, and a grocery store. There are a few pubs on the street, but we've never eaten at any of them as they close to children around dinner time.

To sum this all up: the rooms are excellent, the internet is relatively fast, the breakfast is delicious, the atmosphere is comfortable, and the location is convenient. I would recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone, though I'm not sure about pricing since (thankfully) I don't have to pay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LosingMarbles
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have been staying at the Crescent on London trips for several years on my own and with my ex-partner. The location in Bloomsbury cannot be beaten for people arriving at or departing from Kings Cross, Euston & St Pancras. Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Street, the British Museum & the British Library are easy walks from the hotel in an area which is well served for shops, restaurants and bars. The rooms at the top are up some twisty staircases but how lovely to be able to hear the sounds of people playing tennis in the courts below when you open your window. The staff are very friendly and the breakfast is good. As a repeat booker I have been upgraded sometimes if a larger room is free which is very kind gesture and I would recommend the hotel as a very reasonable London base for business and leisure trips.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are nice as they overlook the tennis courts below.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo