“Charming!”

Ranked #534 of 1,063 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Charming!”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was safe, clean and comfortable. The staff was very polite and helpful. We arrived early and a room was made available to us very quickly. The breakfast was very good. The rooms are small but comfortable. The hotel is in a very central location, very close to St. Pancreas Station and to the British Museum. It is on a quiet street with a small park across. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in front because of the view. Some rooms have shared bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bluesun614

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
upstate New York
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We chose to stay at the Crescent because of its proximity to Senate House where my husband was attending a conference. It was also recommended in Frommer's "London with Families." Our room was a bit outdated, but clean. We were lucky it was not hot, as the hotel was not air conditioned. We asked at reception for a fan for the room, which they were able to provide.
The room included a full English breakfast, which was nice.
All of the staff were friendly and helpful.
My two complaints: the bed was uncomfortable. Also, we asked them to arrange a car to the airport (which was listed as a provided service in the hotel's amenities book). It took them a couple days, then it wasn't clear to us whether they had included a car seat for our toddler so we wanted to confirm with reception on Saturday (car was coming at 6am on Sunday morning). Even though signs state that Reception is open from 7:30am to 10pm, Reception was closed for almost 2 hours Saturday afternoon. The most annoying part was that we could hear music and talking coming from behind the door (where the "be right back" sign was hanging). They also didn't answer the phone when we called from the room. Later in the day, we were able to get help and get the car service confirmed, but it was frustrating to say the least.
Overall, it's a good hotel and VERY affordable, especially for a nice location in Central London. The hotel was only a 10-minute walk to a tube station, which made it easy to get around. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
malaga
Reviewed July 29, 2011

after having to leave a previous hotel due to the disgraceful condition of the rooms, we
managed to find this hotel.with a spare room on the third floor,no lift of course due to
london regulations. luckily the man in charge ,a slovak i think was very helpful and
willing .and carried our two cases uo p three flights of difficult stairs,and back again in
the morning,for an overnight stay,close to st.pancras this proably the best bet in the
cartwright gardens,and i have stayed at another 2 in same gardens.breakfast not bad
either.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed here the nights of july 6th and 7th. IT was a very easy walk to the translation of Kings Cross and St. Panaceas. The hotel is located in what I feel to be the b set neighborhood in all of London. There is even an authentic fish & chips place on the next street! Inside the rooms are beautiful and spacious and theres a free computer to use. The breakfast was a traditional English one it was delicious- and free! The underground station of Russell Square is a 2 min walk from Crescent and it takes you everywhere in the city for a $3 a day pass! It is a 20 min walk to the Thames and its a great walk for after dinner (even our 8 year old walked it there and back). There is no doubt in my mind we would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Fearless17
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The Crescent Hotel on Cartwright Gardens was ideal for me. I absolutely loved the location. Near the St. Pancras Station/Kings Cross, Russell Square tube, British Museum. Brunswick Mall, pubs, restaurants.

Yes, I loved the location, quiet at night, good enough staff and clean. BUT..and this could be a big but for some - they do need to work on their customer service skills. I'm not there to be 'besties' with the staff. I just want to sleep, shower, eat and get out. However...they seem to be more interested in their own conversations.
If you need anything they would generally seem put out...apart from Thomas, who was excellent. I found myself getting used to their ways as I'm fairly easy going, but really - they should try to smile a bit more - at least fake it for the paying customer!

I stayed in four different rooms during my fairly lengthy stay. Each were all suitable and clean. TV, wifi (for a fee - this should be free, many neighbouring hotels had free wifi, a deal breaker for some), phone, kettle, shampoo/gel... the basics. All I really needed. They have a very informative binder in each room about local attractions,(British Library, British Museum) hotel resources etc.
Being an old narrow Victorian home there naturally are many stairs, so if you have a mobility problem you can stay on the lower floor...or find yourself a Premier Inn or Holiday Inn nearby.
The breakfast is included of course, and there's a lot of it. Ideal if you're a big breaky eater. I'm not, so it was wasted on me. They have a good selection- huge full English breaky, juice, cereal..and great coffee. The service is a little confusing and slow but it's worth it.

This hotel had great character, which is ultimately what I really loved about it.
I felt safe too, which is hugely important for the solo female traveller.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank pixie1
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2011

A really friendly welcome, helpful staff, & good service.

Nice rooms with all thats needed for a comfortable stay.

Within easy walking distance to some really nice restaurants.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank miniknitwit
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Travelled with 2 11yr olds staying in a family room. I am very careful when booking a hotel, always check out trip advisor beforehand and glad I did. Great location 10mins walk from Kings X.Received a very warm welcome from Svetlana, were able to leave our bags at 10am in a secure room which saved us £8 per bag at left luggage at Kings X. Very clean and quiet, fabulous breakfast, great staff, were told they had a lot of regulars, can see why, we will add to thier growing list.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family