“Unexpectedly good”

Ranked #85 of 1,694 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: International modern and contemporary art.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I often don't like modern art and didn't enjoy our visit to Tate St Ives but I did enjoy Tate London. Several Picassos to see and some stuff which we enjoyed and quite a lot which I didn't get. The cafe is a good place for a coffee although the food isn't cheap but it's free entry and it's just at the other end of the Millenium Bridge.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We had specially gone to London to see this show and being the next to last day it was crowded and felt difficult to enjoy. There were 17 rooms full, say 300 pictures? I am familiar with a lot of it from books and it was good to see the actual small scale of works and their colours, which are very subtle and not easily reproduced in a book.
I was a bit disappointed. If I could have curated it I would have liked to edit the number of works down to half as a lot were very similar and to add stuff about the two world wars and the Bauhaus to put it in context. A time line with abstract art shown in other places as it developed would have been interesting, what sort of music was being played etc
The little booklet issued was very nice to have.
It was a sparkling beautiful day to see the view, experience the crowds crossing the Millennium Bridge, the delightful Caribbean busker music etc. and as we are members we could enjoy sitting in the members room, with the view and art magazines and catalogues to borrow.

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I have frequented the Tate Modern on almost every trip I've made to London. It is one of my absolute favorite art museums. It's not even worth my time to look up what exhibits are being shown, I just go knowing I'll see some favorite pieces and learn about some others I knew nothing about.
My last visit saw more kids than usual but it was still summer vacation time for Americans.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

The Paul Klee Exhibition was excellent. The Tate Modern is a pleasant walk along the South Bank and is easily accessible on foot.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Having looked forward to visiting this attraction for at least a year I have to say that it did not match my expectations. I found the layout of the Tate difficult to negotiate not helped by extensive 'works' being undertaken during my visit. Having access to a local art gallery in Leeds which has visiting modern art exhibitions I realised how little I was missing .