Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Queen's House
from $60.41
More Info
All reviews inigo jones national maritime museum greenwich park an art gallery royal observatory beautiful building free entry old royal naval college architectural gem visiting greenwich queen anne lovely paintings stately home nice collection free attraction interesting history great art
Reviewed 1 week ago

I went with my family and friends last July.
It was good tour for 1 hour not more!
I wouldn't return.

1  Thank Mohamed_Madi_81
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

From our point of view, we needed more time, much more time, to feel we had a handle on this artistic experience. However, after hearing that the property may be frequented by ghosts, maybe we're just fine with a quicker exit. No one has a firm ID on who or what they encounter in this building but their testimonials (and photos) are very convincing.

Back, to the art. There's a beautiful piece called Armada Portrait that exhibits a beautiful queen (albeit packed in a Sumo wrestler's cushioned outfit) but, if you look at her face, she was regal, stately, haughty, vain, untouchable, and she is heavily into cosmetics. If inclined to believe the rumors, she was so much more and was made of stronger material.

As this is a free attraction, I would absolutely schedule a return visit during my next visit. The portraits of the royals are interspersed among other historic oils. We really loved the location and everything about the Greenwich Park location.

Oh yes, about the ghost. Really, there are photos of "beings" or apparitions on tourist pictures that have been neither debunked nor disproved. No one really knows who it is that walks these stairs. To be continued ...

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I mainly went to the Queen’s house to see the famous Queen Elizabeth I Armada painting and the animatronic face. The painting had been beautifully restored and the face was freaky. The rest of the house is filled with art, each room having a different theme. Some of the art was great, the rest so-so. I did like all the information about what each room was used for. Worth a visit as it is free.

Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

Loved the variety Interesting paintings- video on restoration- sculptures- interesting maritime paraphernalia- varied things of interest in a lovely building - worth another visit soon

Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful venue with a lovely Kehinde Wiley picture currently there. To add, the entry is free! Ideal if you happen to be in the area

Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

It’s not a bad place to visit if you’re in the neighborhood with some time to pass. Some interesting nautical pictures on the walls was the only thing memorable about it.

Reviewed September 27, 2018 via mobile

Taking the water taxi to Greenwich and walking around the grounds was great. Seeing the Queens house was fantastic. I had no idea what it was or that it was there, but it’s an old palace with wonderful artwork throughout. And sitting on the benches outside looking either at the river or up to the observatory was such a welcome and peaceful experience.

Reviewed September 25, 2018 via mobile

On the 9th September, I called the Queen’s House reception and asked if it was ok to do a photoshoot there, particularly on the stairwell as I had seen some stunning images online.
The lady on the phone said the building is completely open to the public and gave the all clear (the only restriction being they do not allow tripods). I then called on the 21st September to re-confirm this and was told the exact same thing as phone call prior.

I arrived this morning and specifically asked to speak to the manager to ask if it was ok to shoot and he said “it’s absolutely fine, just no flash photography or tripods”. My friend then arrived about 40 minutes later and we began to shoot...

We were abruptly interrupted and told to stop. I had explained the above and pointed out the manager who said it was ok to shoot there.
After being told that my posing did not make a good impression to others, we respected his comment and decided to shoot portraits in a different part of the building where nobody was. Only then, was my friend challenged and asked if he had a professional license to shoot...
(He is not a professional and therefore does not have/require a license to shoot).
The gentleman then made an absurd comment “you must be a professional photographer, as this is a professional camera”. At this point, we were already outraged by the lack of intelligence of that one particular comment and were utterly offended by this. Just because he wasn’t using his phone to take pictures of myself, he was targeted and accused of being a commercial photographer.

My friend had travelled down from Bristol and had paid £60 in travel expenses to photograph myself at this stunning location, solemnly for our own personal use (no profit/commercial but for a profile builder).

After being profusely challenged, we left the entire building and decided to do some portraits on the field outside. We were not the only ones taking photos and about 30 minutes later, the same manager plus security approached us and asked us to leave!!!
I found this absolutely disgusting as there were clearly others doing the exact same thing, also with “professional” cameras.

The journey was a complete waste of time and the attitude of the management was damn right discriminating. Please do avoid if you have a “professional” camera and want to take pictures of your friend!

SamRMG, Digital Marketing Officer at Queen's House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi chloerobins131,
Thank for informing us of your recent experience here at Royal Museums Greenwich. Our policy for any photo shoots taken within our grounds and buildings is that you do need written permission in advance of arrival. Many apologies that you were misinformed. We are investigating internally to find out why this happened and will ensure that our staff are fully informed going forward. We very much appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention.
Kind regards

Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

The beautiful house was designed by Inigo Jones and we loved walking around seeing the rooms with all the portraits. Don’t forget to see the portrait of the designer himself. Our main purpose was to see the Armada painting of Queen Elizabeth. I read about the painting in advance so it was a real treat to finally see it for myself.

Reviewed September 20, 2018

Decided to visit before catching train home thought 70 minutes would be enough but not at all as so much to see & read Walls covered in paintings & sculptures plus exhibits.Needed at least another hour at least so had to rush round to take a look.
If you love history & culture well worth a visit.Always wanted to see the Queen Elizabeth 1 Portrait as only 3 in existence & there was a great media presentation on the ground floor on its restoration.
As the area is unaltered it was great to look at photos & paintings & compare what we had seen & where we had stood to what the artist had viewed,