“We couldn't fault this hotel”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #153 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Location is brilliant for London , so many times we are out of the centre. We were able to walk everywhere. Fabulous room & bathroom . Service 110% . Breakfast was excellent , but the highlight was the Afternoon Tea, a must if staying at this hotel.

1  Thank mrsbudge
There are newer reviews for The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences

Reviewed September 21, 2010

Decided to visit London on a whim and booked this hotel at the last minute. What a lucky choice !! From the moment we entered we were treated like valued guests. The receptionist has a wonderful personality and was cheerful and witty during check-in. He then gave us a comprehensive tour of the hotel and the room facilities. The room was not large but it was perfectly formed !! What made this hotel for me was the staff - without exception, they were friendly and helpful. We had a rather unfortunate experience (outside the hotel) and the staff were wonderful. They certainly go 'the extra mile' for their guests (special mention here to Darren, the Concierge !!). If I had to find a fault with this hotel it would be that the newspaper we requested was never delivered - but this is just a small grouch and I'm sure that if we reminded them, it would have appeared instantly. Anything we asked for was delivered immediately - with a smile !! Jim, the lovely friendly doorman, welcomed us each evening with the words 'Welcome home' - and that's exactly what it felt like. Johhny, the Porter, was exceptionally helpful and considerate. We normally stay near the West End theatres - but the service in the Athenaeum makes the distance worthwhile. I can't wait to make a return visit.

1  Thank mysteriousmims_123
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We were welcomed to the hotel after a redeye from San Francisco.

As soon as we walked in, we were not overly impressed with our room. It was clean and spacious enough but was lacking is some areas. The bathroom was small. I had hoped it would have been more luxurious. I am guessing that this was one of the older rooms and not the ones listed on their website.

Their makeshift gym, as they were redoing their main one, was very good with the machines and weights and water at the ready.

Still, for the price and location, we were happy enough with it. Not blown away but not upset.

I would recommend this to a friend for the location alone. But, I would not stay more than a few nights here. There are other places that would offer the same value and better comfort/amenities.

2  Thank SeaJonathan
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Our family loved this hotel! Our London home! Wonderful stay! The kids loved the toys, wii, books and fantastic food (free all time)! The parents loved Nespresso , frigobar (free), internet access, kitchen , wash machine in a great private apartment.
I'm really don't understand low rate in Tripadvisor, I think that a secret to exclusive guests.
We hope come back soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank cesar_e_simone
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I had enjoyed afternoon tea at this hotel on previous occasions and booked in for a night in London while down visiting friends. I received a wonderful welcome at reception and was escorted up to my room by a charming young lady. However, I was absolutely delighted when she advised that I'd been upgraded to one of their private apartments. It was absolutely (I make no apology for using this word again!) unbelievable luxury and a wonderful surprise. I was still slightly stunned when there was a knock at the door and a waitress arrived with a large plate of fresh fruit. I spent the next moments taking pictures of the rooms and emailing my family and friends!! On top of everything, the little kitchen was fully equipped and had a state of the art coffee maker and a refrigerator with lots and lots of goodies which were free!!!!!!! The bedroom and gigantic bed was awesome too as was the bathroom and wonderful toiletries supplied. I still smile when I remember that night and can't thank the management enough. Needless to say, I told everyone I knew about the hotel's star treatment and encouraged them to stay there too.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Jill-Jack
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Just spent 2 lovely nights here and had 2 of the superior rooms - where you get bathrobes, slippers and a coffee machine.

Check in was very smooth, pulled up outside in the car, the doorman greets us and we hand the keys over and the car is velet parked for us. We we told if we needed anything out fo the car at any point to let them know and they'd fetch it for us.

Our rooms weren't ready as we'd checked in early, so they held out bags and we used the toilets before heading out for the day. Tip - the toilets on the first floor have free bottles of mouthwash - you don't get these in your room.

When we returned we were shown to our room and our bags arrived shortly afterwards. The receptionist gave us a tour of the hotel on the way and then explained the heating controls etc on arrival to the the room.

Beds are very comfortable, you can choose if you prefer duvets' sheets and have a choice of different pillows. All soft drinks and snacks are free in the room - and they even provide you with a nice bag in which I am sure most people take them all home with them at the end of their stay!!

There is a tuwn down service each night, but surprisingly, no mint left on your pillow, and no fancy animals made of towels or flowers in the rooms.

Thye do have some thoughful touches though, such as free bird food for the park, free kites and bikes and free loan of ipods for use in the BOSE sound system.

I was surprised the bathrooms didn't have seperate showers and baths, rather than an overbath one, but it was powerful and worked fine so no issues there.

I used the shoe cleaning service one night, some joker mixed up everyone's shoes though afterwards so had to go hunting for one of mine in the morning, but not the hotel's fault and easily sorted out.

We had room service breakfast on the first day and although the toast order was wrong it was rectified so quickly and the waitress was so apologetic it wasn't an issue at all. Never been so stuffed after a continental breafast for one person of 3 croissants, huge bowl of fresh fruits and berries, yogurt, hot chocolate, juice and cereal!

We ate breakfast in the restauarnt the next day - as no card had ben left in our room the night before so we couldn't order room service even if we had wanted to. Much better choice downstairs, although there was a lack of tables which meant some people had to wait. However the food quality was very good with smoked salmon, roast lamb (yes even for breakfast!!), and lots of fruit and bread etc available on self sevice basis. Staff were attentive, but we had to wait longer than I would have liked to place my orders for cooked dishes.

Breakfast is NOT included in the price and the cheapest option is £22 so be preparared!!

Doorman were great, very friendly and more than happy to call us a taxi or welcome us "home" each night. Jim was especially lovely and looks wonderful in his uniform!

The hotel is literally a short stroll across Green Park from Buckingham Palace and about 5 mins walk from the bus tour stops and also green park tube. As one of our party was disabled and had trouble walking this was very important to us, but the steps down into the hotel were a surprise and there seemed to be no way to avoid these and no disabled entrance either.

If you choose to park expect to pay a premium but even so £76 for 2 and a half days is good for London.

Taxi to Leicester Square will cost you about £6-£7 in the evening but I recommedn spenidn g a hit more and neogotiate a rate with a trickle driver and get back that way, much more fun!

I would love to stay here agin, but at £300 a night for normal rates I doubt I ever will unless there is a half price sale again.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank incamiller
Reviewed August 28, 2010

The stay was actually a business trip for my fiance. I tagged along for leisure.
What I loved:
The staff. The doorman was very friendly taking an interest in my off-the-beaten trip one day. When I told him why I was going there, the next day he provided me with info on a similar store and how to take the commuter train there.
We had the same waiter for 2 afternoon teas, a dinner and drinks another night. Again, very friendly, prompt, accommodating...made me feel like we were spending time at the country club.
The location. Walking distance to several tourist sites, the tube and plenty of eating options.
The rest of the staff. Very helpful with everything from hailing a cab to checking in to keeping our golf clubs for us.
What I didn't like (and I say that loosely because they're not really gripes):
Dining and beverage prices a little high. But then it is Central London
The room size. It was a little small for the price. We've stayed elsewhere in London and the rooms where more comfy.
I recommend afternoon tea. A traditional British experience with all the bells and whistles and top notch service. All in all, I do love the Athanaeum. Honestly, it was the staff that did it for me. I LOVED 'my' doorman (he was always on duty!!). My fiance's colleagues have stayed in the apartments and they offer one of the returning foreigners great extras when he transits London between the US and Africa and The Middle East. I highly recommend this property for any kind of stay - leisure, business or family.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple