“Great location and stay”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #148 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 29, 2014

They definitely strive to be 5 star and the accommodations, while small, are nice and clean. The afternoon tea is delicious and the housekeeping service is excellent. They are undergoing renovations and one of the only two lifts were out of service, leaving only one small lift for the entire hotel. Free WiFi and in-room nespresso machines are a huge plus as are the different pillow options that you can choose from. My only complaint is that the water pressure was irregular and the people working on the renovations were a bit loud in the mornings as they got to work. Overall though it was a very pleasant week's stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

We are glad you enjoyed your stay Michelle! Sorry to hear that the lift specialists were a bit noisy -this has been fed back to their manager.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed two nights as we were in town for my birthday. The Athenaeum was a great place to stay to be close to Piccadilly and Mayfair shops, clubs and restaurants. It is also convenient for Oxford Street and the West End. We upgraded on check-in to a Park View room on the sixth floor, £60 extra per night that was well worth it. The room was beautifully appointed, light and the view was superb. The free WiFi and minibar is great, bed extremely comfy and decor fresh. The service was excellent throughout our stay - the kind that you expect for a five-star hotel but so often don't get despite paying for it. The Athenaeum is a home from home kind of place. We sampled the delights of the Whisky Bar, had the Afternoon teas on offer and spent time in the Spa, all very good. Not everything was perfect - it was embarrassing to have the receptionist on check-in announce that our rate didn't include breakfast so loudly that people dining in Fortnum's must have heard. The bathroom was nicely appointed, but really only big enough for one person at a time and with no separate shower. We had the food at breakfast - it was okay but my full English was pretty greasy and not top-notch. Also the problem others have encountered with only one lift working; we too had a trip in the staff lift through the kitchens and a top hotel really needs to get this sorted properly. So I'd give it four and a half stars out of five but round up because of the great feel of the place and high level of service. Would definitely recommend but only if you can stretch to a room with a view.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for your great review, we are delighted that you felt so at home with us. We have many rooms with wonderful views of Green Park and we are so glad that you were able to take advantage. We recently undertook some lift maintenance, designed to improve the 5 star experience of our guests and so unfortunately this did mean the odd trip in the staff lifts for short periods of the day. Whilst this was unavoidable we are of course sorry that this impacted on your time with us. we look forward to welcoming you back for a perfect stay at your London home!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We recently had a VIP day at the Athenaeum with lunch, spa treatment and use of the spa facilities. The hotel has a wonderful relaxed yet luxurious vibe. The staff in the restaurant and spa are fantastic--friendly and attentive. We were asked if we wanted to have our champagne from lunch brought down to the spa to have while we relaxed after our treatments--the kind of thoughtfulness that makes it a special experience. The treatments in the spa (massage, facial and wrap) were very well done using REN products. The staff put us absolutely at our ease. The spa itself is small but had all that we were wanting (hot tubs, steam room, sauna). All in all a perfect day. We have previously stayed the night at the hotel and loved the rooms and the breakfast. Looking forward to the next time.....

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your lovely review Maggie. We look forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon ....

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I spent three days in London with my 12-year-old daughter and this hotel was a great place to stay. Nice accommodations, friendly staff, and excellent location. They contacted us immediately after we booked to ask for special requests, things we liked, etc (they put an xbox in our room) and the concierge was in contact with us ahead of our arrival to arrange tickets to shows, make restaurant reservations, etc. Excellent service from the concierge staff and also the very friendly doormen. We arrived very early from an overseas flight and they worked hard to get us into a room quickly. My only complaint is that we were put into the apartments up the street. A nice enough room (though a big cramped) and it was sort of fun to pretend we had our own London flat, but I didn't like being disconnected from the main hotel, particularly when my daughter wanted to go to the lobby for something. The staff was relatively accommodating in moving us, but there was a mixup with moving the luggage and we were a bit stressed preparing for a reservation for tea. During this exchange, a desk clerk actually hung up on me. A misunderstanding, perhaps, but that's what stands between the Athenaeum and an excellent review. Our new room in the main hotel was nicer -- more spacious overall and with a better bathroom. My daughter was disappointed that they did not transfer the xbox when they moved our stuff, but I didn't mind. ;) Overall, a very fine hotel and the location is just perfect.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review Lisa, I am delighted to hear that you and your daughter were made to feel so at home and that we could provide her with her favourite games. I am glad that we were able to move you into a room within the hotel at your request - some people love having their own front door in Mayfair and some prefer to be in the main hotel and we will always accommodate their wishes. Its such a shame that the X box was not moved with your belongings and this has been flagged with Guest Services who sincerely apologise for the disappointment. We look forward to welcoming your family back to your London home soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I only stayed for one night, but in that time I felt I was in a hotel that offered great service. I made myself a cup of tea, when I first arrived and then popped out for for a walk before I came back to prepare for the evening, I was at best out for half and hour, when I returned the cup I had used for the tea had been washed. That is just one example of the high service levels I experienced. The location opposite Green Park is brilliant, walking distant to Theatreland, Buckingham palace and the West end, a short bus, tube or cab ride to other places of interest. It is very convenient for Green Park tube..The staff were very welcoming and helpful and I very much hope to stay there again. My only point would be on the room service breakfast menu- I feel that for boiled eggs you should be able to order how you want your eggs as opposed to being asked to state how many minutes you want it boiled for, as without knowing the type and size of the eggs the minute results could can be so different.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review and we are glad that you were made to feel so at home with us. Your comments about methods of cooking boiled eggs have been passed onto our Director of Operations personally. We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Spent the Easter weekend in residence. We had a suite in order to fit the kiddies in. I've stayed at most of London's 5* establishments, but generally find that the welcome is a little forced and the manner 19th Century servility. EVERY member of staff here were nice bordering on lovely. Nothing was too much trouble, with rooms put aside for kids' activities, an Easter hunt at the park and smiley faces everywhere. The food was very good and the rooms of a more than acceptable standard. Couldn't use the spa, as we were there to make the children's weekend. We will be back without reservation (well perhaps a reservation would be sensible). Well done Athenaeum...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

This has really made our day Dan - thank you for such a lovely review!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I am in London for 10 months. My stay at the Athenaeum makes me feel like I have actually moved here. The staff is excellent, and The Apartment is homey, squeaky floors and all. The location is fantastic, just a short walk from everything. This is an excellent location to live, and I am extremely satisfied with the accommodations. I am in an apartment, so cannot speak for the hotel rooms. I was looking for an apartment with the conveniences of a hotel, and that is exactly what I have.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank for such a warm review Gregg, we are delighted that you feel so at home with us!