“One of the best hotels in the UK”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #158 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Basel, Switzerland
“One of the best hotels in the UK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times and travel all all over the world. This hotel was one of the first I had before I had started a new job and family.

The staff are simply amazing and really went an extra mile to accommodate us. The rooms are very nice and the apartments are just some thing that needs to be experienced!!! Wow.

I can't recommend this hotel enough and I really look forward to visiting, staying or just getting a drink the Athenaeum.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fred M
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thanks for the great review Fred, its lovely to hear from regular guests. I am glad you feel so at home with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed in one of The Athenaeum's one-bedroomed serviced apartments this week and really enjoyed the experience. I chose a serviced apartment as I was down for most of the week and wanted a 'home-from-home" experience, which is what I got. The period entrance is on a quieter London street so I managed to sleep well, which I don't always when I'm in London. Plus the ensuite was spacious and characterful. Internet access was FOC, as was the minibar, which is unusual and a lovely touch. The lounge area of the hotel was relaxed and comfortable and the staff friendly, helpful and unpushy, which was great for meetings. Finally, the location close to Green Park and Hyde Park tube stations meant I could easily get to my other meetings all over the city. Next time I stay I will take some gym kit and enjoy the spa. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for a wonderful review Russell. I am so glad that you were made to feel at home! Our apartments are perfect for business and leisure - please feel free to make use of the spa and gym the next time you visit as these are very much part of the experience we offer all our guests.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed for 1 night for a work function, but booked it myself via Laterooms

The hotel isn't one I would normally pick myself - I would usually go with the 'big chains' of Hilton / Marriott etc, but pleased I went with it.

Rather than the standard 'bed in a box' room, the room was mirrored on two walls - and the entire bathroom (including the walls). Some would say it was a bit much, and they'd probably be right, but I liked the change. This was true throughout the hotel, with the lifts being the originals but in I believe, and gave extra character to the hotel.

The room, including the bathroom, were very clean and slept very well. View out the window was non-existent, but I didn't go to stare out the window.

Staff were friendly and courteous, and little touches like complementary mini-bar (except alcohol) and WiFi help put you at ease.

Would consider staying again should the need arise

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your time with us; I am so glad you felt this was a unique experience! Guests are often delighted with the complimentary soft drinks and snacks - and we even offer a full mini bar as part of other room packages such as Park views, suites and apartments.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We booked the hotel for a special occasion (Royal Investiture at Buckingham Palace) - all aspects of the service matched the occasion. We were (all 6 of us) looked after as if we were royalty and had a fantastic room overlooking Green Park. My children were amazed to find ice cream in the mini bar freezer and that complimentary cookies and milk were brought to the room.

The restaurant food was excellent and we were not rushed to 'eat up and get out'; the pace was relaxed and the staff (whether in the restaurant, in reception, in the bar or in the health spa) were superbly friendly and fantastically helpful.

I have genuinely run out of superlatives for the hotel. Thank you so much for making our special occasion even more special (no mean achievement)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nick M
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for such a delightful review, I am so pleased to hear that you were treated like Royalty. How fitting considering when you stay with us, you are indeed in the same neighborhood as Her Royal Highness herself!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were so looking forward to afternoon tea, but it was so disappointing. The sandwiches were very ordinary and when we asked for more, we were charged an additional £7 for the dry offerings we were given. At no time were we told that there would be an additional charge to replenish. The cakes were average nothing exciting.
Overall a very average experience and one we would certainly not repeat at the Athenaeum.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Teddingtongirl
I was really disappointed to read your comments, and truly sorry that you did not enjoy our usual five star service. Our sumptuous afternoon tea scooped the Tea Guild's prestigious award for "Top London Afternoon Tea 2012". Considered the 'Oscars' of the tea world, we competed against world-famous London hotels and tea rooms and gained the title having impressed the judges!
Safwa, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights and couldn't really ask for more, the hotel is simply great, friendly staff and always willing to help, asked for a king size bed, but checked in to see two beds instead, they had that changed right away which was excellent. I just didn't like the fact that just while trying to settle in room and trying to rest after our long flight, we had the door knocked three times (our bad didn't hand the DND sign outside) but they should've known better that we just got checked in and obviously don't need our room to be made up or had any of the toilet stuff replaced !

The location is just one of the best , you can just walk to almost main attractions in London, Piccadilly square, regent st, bond st, oxford st, knightsbridge, traflgar and more!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mohammed A
Thank you for such a nice review! We look forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon.
Canberra Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Athenaeum Hotel on 2 separate occasions and had two very different rooms - every hotel has a dark secret. On both occasions we booked through online booking agencies. Our first stayed in the main hotel with a lovely room full length windows, overlooking Green Park. I think this was a delux room. It is small but warm and well appointed.

On our second stay we booked through a different online booking agency and took a superior room. This was outside the hotel up the road in a townhouse. Room 118 was cold and could not seem to heat up and there was a constant smell of cigarette smoke that permeated up from the lane way below where staff from the Sheraton congregated. You could also hear the chatter. The bathroom was quite drafty and not as toasty as the one we experienced inside the hotel. I guess one could say you get what you pay for but it was just so inconsistent with our first stay. The bar was under renovation so we had drinks in the lobby - also a bit drafty.

The service is though warm and genuine. The breakfast is wonderful and the bar (when open) was a great place for a drink and a snack.

We will return and stay again but I will definitely check that I get a room inside the main hotel building.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BradandJanet
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, we appreciate the feedback and will use this to improve our five star guest service