Just stayed here for a few days and couldn't wait to write a review. As you enter the hotel you just get a feeling of dependable, solid quality, which continues through check-in, through to your room, and throughout your stay. I don't mind a bit of style over substance in its place but this has both and it really shows. The hotel is well positioned on Picadilly, edging into Mayfair, 10-15 mins easy, level stroll from Picadilly Circus, Regent Street, and Shaftesbury Ave, and Buckingham Palace a pleasant 10 min stroll through Green Park directly opposite, and Green Park tube about 5 mins away too. The hotel has all the features of a larger chain five star but with the decor and attention to detail of a boutique. It's a family hotel and the pride shows. The bars and restaurant are beautiful and the tasting menu was superb in value as well as quality. The rooms are large enough, immaculate, and equipped to a standard you'd expect, with a free soft minibar extending to snacks and juices, replenished daily, rather than the token bottle of water and can of pop each that these free mini bars can tend towards. But what I really want to talk to you about is the service. To me perfect service isn't stiff and starchy - who wants to feel like their headmaster's serving them? - or grovelly and subservient (ie creepy and awkward), but that pitch-perfect balance of utterly professional, personalised, capable, experienced, warm, friendly and genuinely interested in making you comfortable whatever the situation, and we felt that from every member of staff we interacted with - and there were plenty, as they really make the effort to interact, be it the restaurant staff suggesting menu options, the reception staff asking about your plans, or the doorman murmuring 'have a good day, Mrs Leech' as he opens the door for you. A lot of five star places can either make you feel as though they are doing a favour by allowing you to frequent them, are so fawning that you don't even want to meet their eye, or offer 'five star service by numbers' - it's all there, just very 2-dimensional and wooden. Here it is effortless and comes as second nature to every staff member. Excellent accommodation in every sense of the word! I'm emphasising this point because we find it surprisingly hard to find the genuine article, but The Athenaeum has it in bag-loads. All the other benefits of this fantastic hotel slot perfectly into place around that core of quality, and that reason we'll be back whenever we are in London. Can't wait.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- By the Royal Parks Intimate and sophisticated, the fabulous 5-star Athenaeum is your home-away-from-home in Mayfair, central London. You're opposite Royal Parks and Buckingham Palace, just down the road from national museums and galleries, and close to world-renowned shops and theatres. Michelin-starred chefs For eating and drinking, there's afternoon tea (voted "Best in London 2012"), an restaurant run by Michelin-starred chefs, and a fine bar - home to a large collection of whiskies and signature cocktails. For a little "me-time", our spa offers relaxing treatments, relaxation room, wet area and a well-equipped fitness room. Free WiFi, iPod(R) docks All guestrooms are spacious with modern decor and premium bedding. You can catch a game on the plasma TV, stream tunes through the iPod(R) dock, and browse the Web with free WiFi, all while sipping an espresso coffee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Athenaeum Hotel And Apartments
- Athenaeum Hotel Apartments
- The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences London, England