“Wonderfully peacefull superb service”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #155 of 1,063 Hotels in London
carrickfergus
“Wonderfully peacefull superb service”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We booked our hotel on secret rooms so didnt really know what to expect, but this hotel was everything it advertised on the website ... and more. We stayed 2 nights, i just wish i could've stayed a little bit longer!!

Room Tip: front facing to enjoy the view of the trees in the park across the road
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Family of three with one 5 year old stayed for 3 nights. Check in was faultless, when we arrived in the room there was a football, scooter and helmet for the little one along with milk and fruit waiting for him as we requested.

The apartment was well equipped if quite darkly furnished. The bathroom was a little small with an in bath shower which I never like. Plumbing was not noise free. The heating and air conditioning worked. The bed was massive and very comfortable

We had room service on a couple of evenings and it was very limited especially in a child friendly hotel where many people have limited eating out options. The carbonara was pretty awful for a 5 star hotel.

Breakfast splits the opinion of my wife and I. With children I want a full buffet. There is only a cold buffet with the need to order hot breakfast. I felt that the cooked food was mediocre, the porridge was inedible. The cold buffet was lovely.

To reach the apartment from the main hotel it is necessary to go through a service corridor but you have your own entrance on the side street.

The location is excellent.

Service within the hotel is generally excellent

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AmY209
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I am a person with high expectations. I hesitate to write this because the Anthenaeum was .... flawless.
The staff was great. The room, with Juliet balcony, was big enough that we could open the window (the weather also was perfect) pull up the over-sized chairs and enjoy a coffee from the (free) espresso machine before heading out to walk the city. Speaking of which, the location is so good we only got a cab once during a five day stay. What more can I say.....location, service, no games about showing the worst room first so you feel ok when you actually get what you are paying for.

Flawless.

Room Tip: Try for front of building with a bay window .....unless you want it a little more quiet, then the si...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I booked this room through Secret Hotels as my usual hotel was full at such short notice.I was picking up my love after a week apart and she was working until early evening.I booked in after congestion charge time and they valet parked my car. Shown to an apartment room next door to the hotel. I was assured this was an upgrade and once inside I agreed. A large room with a huge bed. A great coffee machine and free non-alcoholic minibar. Roomy dressing gowns, slippers and plenty of towels completed the perfect room for a romantic couple who did not want to be disturbed.
I walked around Green Park in the late sunshine admiring the trees and numerous courting couples. It seemed that London had become Paris and love was everywhere. Called in at the new memorial to Bomber Command to honour my departed father and quietly cried for a moment.
Then back to my room for a rest before calling for my car and off to the Isle of Dogs. Picked up Dora and rushed back to the Hotel. A wonderful stay only marred by lack of breakfast in bed. I think we put the request card on the door handle to late. It did not matter as I rise early and Dora likes to sleep. Just across the side road from the hotel is a little shop selling fresh pastries and great chocolate doughnuts and these kept us going until departure at midday for Dora's appointment in Kingston.

Room Tip: If you want some privacy ask for an apartment room
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have mixed feelings about writing about this hotel, and to give it a rating. Since, the service is really wonderful and the Hotel is a good hotel. But not really what I expected.

We booked it as a five star luxury Hotel in London, and well to be honest it did not really feel like one. Perhaps it was that our room was in the back and outside the window was just the next block, and the room was quite small, and not really something more special then other less expensive hotels we have stayed in, in London.

The hotel ran out of adaptors, and the hair dryeer was really weak :)

The hotel is nice, the service is wonderful, but as I said not really outstanding.

1 Thank Mysolin
uk
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked a night here for my husband's birthday and booked on lastminute.com under secret hotels. When we arrived we were told our room had been upgraded and we were shown to a top floor suite. The room was amazing- gorgeous decor, lounge area, balcony and spa bath and even a secret tv in the bathroom! They even bought a little cake up with candles for my husband.
The location is great and we went for a nice walk around Green park.
Overall a fantastic stay, great hotel, staff were very polite. Would defintely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have stayed here several times, and each visit gets better. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room spacious and lovely. I just can't fault them on anything. They know who you are and how to treat you, what more can a hotel offer? I won't contemplate a visit to London without staying in this lovely venue.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the park
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple