“Absolutely brilliant”

Ranked #150 of 1,067 Hotels in London
York, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My son and I stayed for the second time on Saturday night whilst in London for his birthday treat to visit the London anniversary games and in my 8 year old sons words it was 'absolutely brilliant'. Starting with the emails exchanged with guest services and the kids concierge to the time we ledt after collecting our bags. Check in was easy and relaxed and we were given an upgrade. All the staff and I mean them all so won't mention names were friendly, efficient and cheerful making you feel like the only guest in the building! The little extras and the effort the staff made really does make you feel at home. All this aside the food was good, the room was spacey with everything you needed and then some though I agree with a recent visitor that shower curtains are a big turn off...
Overall an excellent experience that makes me want to think of any excuse to visit again as soon as possible. I will and do recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to be made to feel special at home.

Room Tip: My experience of deluxe rooms is excellent.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sallyred13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked a stay at The Athenaeum for our anniversary, and from the moment we arrived they made it a special occasion for us - one small detail was that every member of staff seemed aware that we were celebrating our anniversary and then wished us a happy anniversary throughout our stay.

Upon checking in, we were told our room had been upgraded and our room was huge, beautifully decorated (especially noting the little toy soldiers in a glass case next to the bed) and with a well stocked mini bar. Another really nice touch of this hotel is that they were aware of my gluten allergy and therefore on entering the room we found a whole stack of gluten free snacks for me to try (which changed each night that we stayed there), as well as everything in the mini bar! Those little attentions to detail were fantastic and made us feel even more welcome in the hotel.

Within ten minutes of checking in to our room, we were surprised by a chocolate cake and an anniversary card brought up by room service which was a celebratory gift from the hotel. We felt truly spoilt and really cared for at this hotel - more than we have at any other 5* hotel in London.

We visited the spa briefly, but it was quite small although lovely.

We had room service breakfast which was plentiful and delicious, although expensive, but delivered on a beautiful table with a rose which was a nice touch.

Overall, a wonderful stay and looking forward to returning!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skjd89
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great Spa, lovely staff and brilliant massage by my very happy & chatty therapist Rachael. Cant wait to treat myself again. The spa its self is a little small but the great staff & treatments made up for this.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed in one of the apartments for four nights on business. Not cheap, but one of the most charming, elegant, comfortable hotels I have stayed at (esp in London). Very comfortable, airy space. Quiet location in the apartments meant not bothering with a crowded lobby. Room service was prompt and delicious. Location was good, if a slightly longer walk from the tube than I'd like, but handy for Boots, M&S, coffee, dry cleaning, etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason A
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

A weekend stay with my wife.....The initial room we given was certainly not up 5 star standard, several things not acceptable...chipped bath, wc not flushing properly, water scream from basin tap...plastic shower curtain over a bath...
We brought this to their attention and was immediately offered another room, they said it was an up grade...not sure it looked the same, just a different outlook with a balcony....The room was booked on a deal...I cannot see why this should make any difference, but I guess it does...The mini bar was not topped up & it took several calls to get this issue resolved, as the soft drinks and snacks are free...
It is a nice spot and in easy reach of all the facilities this area offers, the bed was good and the soudproofing is excellent no noise at all..

.On the Monday when we departed the manager apologised for the issues and offered us a complimentary breakfast which was nice...We go to London quite often and I guess with all the excellent tube & bus, taxi connections it is better value to choose a hotel not in the centre where premium prices are charged.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jon G
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed overnight as a family of 4 and we were all impressed with the hotel particularly the service .The staff were helpful and accommodating of our needs, the breakfast was particularly good, made more special by friendly, very efficient and customer focussed staff. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gina T
Frodsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My stay at the Athenauem was very pleasant. The hotel is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. The room was luxurious and the staff were attentive. The concierge was extremely friendly and attentive. On arrival our room could not be accessed because of a software issue, but we were given coffee in the lounge whilst an alternative room was found. We went to London to celebrate my partners birthday, we were given the smallest birthday cake I've ever seen, definitely not to be shared, although it was a nice touch. The bed was a good size and possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, the bedding felt luxurious and there were plenty of pillows and a pillow menu if you want to change. The room was clean and bright and the shower was good. There was a complimentary mini bar on snacks and soft drinks (alcoholic drinks were expensive) which was good but unfortunately was not re-stocked after our arrival. The location was fabulous for exploring London. Check-in and check-out was easy, all the hotel staff were smart and friendly. The complimentary toiletries were good quality. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the Athenaeum Hotel, would definitely recommend it and hope to stay again, if I can afford to!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple