“A pleasant stay”

Ranked #155 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A pleasant stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed overnight as a family of 4 and we were all impressed with the hotel particularly the service .The staff were helpful and accommodating of our needs, the breakfast was particularly good, made more special by friendly, very efficient and customer focussed staff. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gina T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Frodsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My stay at the Athenauem was very pleasant. The hotel is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. The room was luxurious and the staff were attentive. The concierge was extremely friendly and attentive. On arrival our room could not be accessed because of a software issue, but we were given coffee in the lounge whilst an alternative room was found. We went to London to celebrate my partners birthday, we were given the smallest birthday cake I've ever seen, definitely not to be shared, although it was a nice touch. The bed was a good size and possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, the bedding felt luxurious and there were plenty of pillows and a pillow menu if you want to change. The room was clean and bright and the shower was good. There was a complimentary mini bar on snacks and soft drinks (alcoholic drinks were expensive) which was good but unfortunately was not re-stocked after our arrival. The location was fabulous for exploring London. Check-in and check-out was easy, all the hotel staff were smart and friendly. The complimentary toiletries were good quality. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the Athenaeum Hotel, would definitely recommend it and hope to stay again, if I can afford to!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitley Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Overall my stay at the Athenauem was pleasant, we booked this hotel because of where it was located. I had to be in Grosvenor Square the following morning and the hotel was within 10 minutes walking distance. The hotel is also in a great location to see the sites; Buckingham Palace is less than a 5 minute walk away. On the same street there was also the The Ritz, Fortnum & Mason, and plenty of patisseries. There was plenty of designer shops within easy reach as well.
The staff were helpful and the main areas of the hotel, the lobby, spa and restaurant were beautifully furnished.
My main problem was the bedroom, we were in 616 and the bath was a total joke, I'm 5.4 and could not lie down comfortably and was cramped because of its size, even if the bath was of a normal size you could not lean back because they've fitted the towel rail only a couple of centimetres directly above the bath, it was very irritating especially when you want a soak after a long day seeing all the sites. The person who fitted the hand rail must of realised it was going to cause a problem to people who wanted a bath as we noticed as soon as we went into the bathroom. The furnishing of the room were a bit plain and standardised for my liking but that's just my personal opinion on those, overall the room was very clean and the soft drinks and snacks in the mini bar were a nice extra. We were also meant to have a king size bed but didn't have one. Although my stay was a nice one, those little things did let the hotel down and I would expect better from a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Danielle F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as a treat for a weekend in London. I got a deal on the hotel so I thought the value for money was good.

Location: easy walk to green park or Hyde park corner tube stations. Opposite green park (we had a park view room which was lovely). Close to Fortnum and Mason for a browse and near a boots/Starbucks/M&s food.

Room: clean, spacious for London, lots of mirrors, very light, bath and shower (not the most amazing shower I've ever seen but good), good sized bed, good pillows (and there's a pillow menu if you want to change!!). There's complimentary toiletries, a complimentary minibar (snacks and non-alcoholic drinks) and a nespresso for coffee lovers. Large tv (DVDs available on request). Hairdryer, robes, slippers, iron and ironing board are all in your wardrobe. Large window with statement chairs.

The staff were very friendly. Check in and out very easy. Polite doormen. They held our case for the day and we picked it up on leaving.

I did not use any of the hotel's facilities but it has a spa, gym etc and restaurant. I would have loved to have had a few more days here to explore!!

I've stayed in various 4* hotels in the city before but not 5*. You can definitely tell the difference and worth the extra if you can afford it. I'm not sure how they could have improved my stay!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jaz84
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

A large group of us had High Tea Service over the course of a few hours. Wonderful experience. The tea selection was wonderful, and tasty. The sandwiches and scones were delightful. We also had champagne, which was nothing fancy, but enjoyed the experience. Worth the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Perth WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Athenaeum for a couple of weeks ( with a trip to Paris in between) as a family of 5. We found the apartment spacious and very well appointed. The kids loved the little extras for them, especially the bird food which came in very handy on walks through green park. The hotel location was great for us as we could walk to Buckingham Palace, Green Park, St James Park etc. in room dining is fantastic, breakfast was awesome and overall the staff were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble. Thanks for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed with my husband Friday 19th July for just the one night to celebrate my wedding anniversary. I booked the room online through Secret Escapes which were offering a great deal for a superior/deluxe room including free soft drinks and snacks from the mini bar.
On arrival at the hotel we were able to check in but not to get to the room, which was fine because we were very early and just wanted to drop our bags off. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and we came back a couple of hours later when the room was ready.

We were given Room 504 which faces out to the front of the hotel. The view out onto Picadilly is lovely and even though it is busy, I wasn't disturbed at all by the noise. The room was spacious and comfortable with free Wi-Fi which even in this day is hard to come by with lots of hotels still charging ridiculous rates. Our bags were brought up by a very nice man who told us how to use the coffee machine and anything else we needed to know. The lighting and aircon was all controlled from a panel by the bed, very handy!

We're from London and had lots planned so didn't eat at the hotel or spend much time there, but as we were coming and going the staff were professional and friendly at all times. Nothing was too much trouble including helping us to get cabs if we needed to, and a very kind receptionist who spent some time taking photos for us in the lobby.

Most impressively of all however for me was that we checked out today and left our bags to go for a long lunch. We returned to the hotel to collect our bags and left. About 5 minutes later I realised I had left my keys and £80 cash in a drawer by the bed. We dashed back to the hotel and were relieved to find the housekeeper had secured all the money and keys with the duty manager and all was well. Whilst this should not come as a surprise, it really does. I cannot fault the service and the integrity of the hotel at all and will definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 504 which faces the front of the hotel. The view was lovely and even though it fac...