“A great stay in a lovely hotel”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #150 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Frodsham, United Kingdom
“A great stay in a lovely hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My stay at the Athenauem was very pleasant. The hotel is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. The room was luxurious and the staff were attentive. The concierge was extremely friendly and attentive. On arrival our room could not be accessed because of a software issue, but we were given coffee in the lounge whilst an alternative room was found. We went to London to celebrate my partners birthday, we were given the smallest birthday cake I've ever seen, definitely not to be shared, although it was a nice touch. The bed was a good size and possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, the bedding felt luxurious and there were plenty of pillows and a pillow menu if you want to change. The room was clean and bright and the shower was good. There was a complimentary mini bar on snacks and soft drinks (alcoholic drinks were expensive) which was good but unfortunately was not re-stocked after our arrival. The location was fabulous for exploring London. Check-in and check-out was easy, all the hotel staff were smart and friendly. The complimentary toiletries were good quality. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the Athenaeum Hotel, would definitely recommend it and hope to stay again, if I can afford to!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Whitley Bay
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Overall my stay at the Athenauem was pleasant, we booked this hotel because of where it was located. I had to be in Grosvenor Square the following morning and the hotel was within 10 minutes walking distance. The hotel is also in a great location to see the sites; Buckingham Palace is less than a 5 minute walk away. On the same street there was also the The Ritz, Fortnum & Mason, and plenty of patisseries. There was plenty of designer shops within easy reach as well.
The staff were helpful and the main areas of the hotel, the lobby, spa and restaurant were beautifully furnished.
My main problem was the bedroom, we were in 616 and the bath was a total joke, I'm 5.4 and could not lie down comfortably and was cramped because of its size, even if the bath was of a normal size you could not lean back because they've fitted the towel rail only a couple of centimetres directly above the bath, it was very irritating especially when you want a soak after a long day seeing all the sites. The person who fitted the hand rail must of realised it was going to cause a problem to people who wanted a bath as we noticed as soon as we went into the bathroom. The furnishing of the room were a bit plain and standardised for my liking but that's just my personal opinion on those, overall the room was very clean and the soft drinks and snacks in the mini bar were a nice extra. We were also meant to have a king size bed but didn't have one. Although my stay was a nice one, those little things did let the hotel down and I would expect better from a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Danielle F
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as a treat for a weekend in London. I got a deal on the hotel so I thought the value for money was good.

Location: easy walk to green park or Hyde park corner tube stations. Opposite green park (we had a park view room which was lovely). Close to Fortnum and Mason for a browse and near a boots/Starbucks/M&s food.

Room: clean, spacious for London, lots of mirrors, very light, bath and shower (not the most amazing shower I've ever seen but good), good sized bed, good pillows (and there's a pillow menu if you want to change!!). There's complimentary toiletries, a complimentary minibar (snacks and non-alcoholic drinks) and a nespresso for coffee lovers. Large tv (DVDs available on request). Hairdryer, robes, slippers, iron and ironing board are all in your wardrobe. Large window with statement chairs.

The staff were very friendly. Check in and out very easy. Polite doormen. They held our case for the day and we picked it up on leaving.

I did not use any of the hotel's facilities but it has a spa, gym etc and restaurant. I would have loved to have had a few more days here to explore!!

I've stayed in various 4* hotels in the city before but not 5*. You can definitely tell the difference and worth the extra if you can afford it. I'm not sure how they could have improved my stay!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jaz84
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A large group of us had High Tea Service over the course of a few hours. Wonderful experience. The tea selection was wonderful, and tasty. The sandwiches and scones were delightful. We also had champagne, which was nothing fancy, but enjoyed the experience. Worth the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Perth WA
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Athenaeum for a couple of weeks ( with a trip to Paris in between) as a family of 5. We found the apartment spacious and very well appointed. The kids loved the little extras for them, especially the bird food which came in very handy on walks through green park. The hotel location was great for us as we could walk to Buckingham Palace, Green Park, St James Park etc. in room dining is fantastic, breakfast was awesome and overall the staff were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble. Thanks for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed with my husband Friday 19th July for just the one night to celebrate my wedding anniversary. I booked the room online through Secret Escapes which were offering a great deal for a superior/deluxe room including free soft drinks and snacks from the mini bar.
On arrival at the hotel we were able to check in but not to get to the room, which was fine because we were very early and just wanted to drop our bags off. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and we came back a couple of hours later when the room was ready.

We were given Room 504 which faces out to the front of the hotel. The view out onto Picadilly is lovely and even though it is busy, I wasn't disturbed at all by the noise. The room was spacious and comfortable with free Wi-Fi which even in this day is hard to come by with lots of hotels still charging ridiculous rates. Our bags were brought up by a very nice man who told us how to use the coffee machine and anything else we needed to know. The lighting and aircon was all controlled from a panel by the bed, very handy!

We're from London and had lots planned so didn't eat at the hotel or spend much time there, but as we were coming and going the staff were professional and friendly at all times. Nothing was too much trouble including helping us to get cabs if we needed to, and a very kind receptionist who spent some time taking photos for us in the lobby.

Most impressively of all however for me was that we checked out today and left our bags to go for a long lunch. We returned to the hotel to collect our bags and left. About 5 minutes later I realised I had left my keys and £80 cash in a drawer by the bed. We dashed back to the hotel and were relieved to find the housekeeper had secured all the money and keys with the duty manager and all was well. Whilst this should not come as a surprise, it really does. I cannot fault the service and the integrity of the hotel at all and will definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 504 which faces the front of the hotel. The view was lovely and even though it fac...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was a 2 night father and son excursion to London. The David Bowie exhibition at the V&A showed him what moved me at his age and the show at Ronnie Scott’s testified to what my music preferences are today. We hadn’t planned to spend a lot of time in the hotel room. Given the area, I didn’t expect a miracle bargain on the room but I was far from imagining such a horrible letdown.
A professional check-in, a small elevator cabin that closes with a frightening “Klong” and then the shock when discovering our room. An excessive use of mirrors tries to create an illusion of space in a small 16 sqm room. During the night the smallest led light is reflected infinitely. The air conditioning is extremely noisy (distinctly audible though wearing foam ear buds) and blows directly on the bed. If you cut the air condition the room heats up very rapidly and starts smelling. This sensation goes very well along with the not so fresh deco and furnishing. The small marble bathroom, not sufficiently vented, doesn’t even feature a handheld showerhead. Last but not least the rooms are almost blind. You are forced to stare at an ugly brick wall. (cf. pictures included). This is a serious impairment and should be explicitly mentioned. Room 215, and probably also the other inward facing rooms (cf. room plan), is definitely not 5 star grade. Under normal circumstances I would have walked away. Unfortunately I had booked this room through a non-refundable scheme run by lastminute.com and called “top secret hotels”. You book while the name of the hotel is a surprise. The promise in return, is a better deal on the room rate (proved wrong, because the walk-in rate for my room, mentioned by the front desk, was below what I paid through lastminute.com ) The rooms you are lured into through this scheme are the “unsellable” ones as described above. How come they don’t appear on any other websites? How come they are so different from what you can see on the hotel’s website?
I complained three times. The complaints were handled very professionally, the apparently well-known issues with lastminute.com- clients were glossed over and… nothing happened on the commercial gesture side. This is very obviously yet another example where short term profitability is consciously placed far above client satisfaction and business ethics.

Room Tip: avoid rooms ending with 14; 15; 16 they feature a horror view on an ugly brick wall and lack natural...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank Emile S
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Mil352,
I was delighted to read your comments on the David Bowie exhibition at the V&A as it is proving to be popular with many people. Our entry level rooms are all in excess of 19.3 sqm which for a Mayfair hotel is large, we offer larger rooms, but obviously the price does increase with size and the amenities of the room, for example our corner suites have separate bath with large walk in shower and four poster bed, with separate seating area, with stunning views over green park. In regard to the lift cars, these date back many years and we will be carrying out a £500K refurbishment of them at the end of the year, however, we will retain the cars in their original form.

I can assure you that our guests are at the centre of everything we do here at the hotel, as most of our guests will attest to, such things as the REN toiletries, complimentary soft drinks and snacks we provided in your room, complimentary daily newspapers, Wi-Fi, Nesspresso coffee machines etc reflects the fact that profit is never before guest satisfaction.

If I can assist you any further, please feel free to contact me.

Best Wishes,