“Short but Sweet”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #136 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during march for one night on a trip up to London and had a wonderful stay. The beds were comfortable, the decor was modern and clean cut, everything had it's place. The coffee machine made a delicious coffee for the morning and everything in the mini-bar was complimentary bar the alcohol which didn't matter to me as I wasn't drinking.
I slept perfectly with no noise disturbances though my room was at the front of the hotel on the main road. The large windows showing a great vista across Green park when the thick blackout curtains were opened.
The breakfast was lavish and everything fresh, it was Easter so Hot Cross Bun's had been made and must have been the best I've ever tasted, along with other home made patisseries.
The hotel staff were friendly at all times and helpful whenever possible.

Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hannah J
Write a ReviewReviews (2,555)

Reviewed April 16, 2013

"I decided to book the Athenaeum as a surprise for the girlfriend for a trip to London to do a spot of shopping and a show.

What a great idea it was. I got a good deal for a deluxe room and was over the moon on arrival. We were led to our room which was a separate apartment from the hotel and it was magnificent. This was good because it meant it was off the busy road. Our escort was very knowledgeable and made us feel very welcome.

A beautiful large room with a Wall mounted 40" TV, Complimentary mini bar (excluding Alcohol), wonderful décor. A sliding mirror wall for entry to the large bathroom was a lovely touch. The "HUGE" double shower was my favourite detail. Breakfast was delivered promptly and was to a great standard. All in all a fantastic stay.

My only criticism would be the Wifi was not working (not that important as we spent all day out). And I don't think I would have paid full price for the room and service I had bought with the deal (original price £440 per night I paid £220).

I would most definitely stay here again. It is ideally situated (piccadilly, right opposite Hyde Park) to provide a wonderful trip to London.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Having been a therapist for several years I may be slightly more critical of most when it comes to spas. I treated my mum to a spa day here yesterday and was rather disappointed! It started well using the new wet area, the jacuzzi and steam room are both very good. However, the changing room is tiny and was not maintained during the afternoon so by the end of the day the laundry basket had long been full and there was a mound of dressing gowns/towels all over the floor which should not have happened. Our treatments started 20 minutes late without anyone apologising for running late. We had pre booked a detox wrap but they clearly hadn't taken this down as we were given a chocolate wrap, as both of us hate chocolate this was rather unpleasant! There are no showers in the treatment room so had to walk back across the spa to the changing rooms to wash off the wrap (and only one shower so had to sit around covered in chocolate!). However, our skin did feel great after and the facial was good. We so had to ask for our complimentary champagne at the end of the day as this had not been offered. This spa could be good with the right management but as is I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Kerchiss
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Having had a busy few months, my fiancé decided to treat us to a spa day.

Something that we would recommend to anyone looking to unwind and relax. Very warm welcome by staff.

The lunch menu was OK, there's a McDonald's round the corner.

Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife had booked this as an overnight stay so that we could spend the evening in London to do a late birthday celbration for me. She had booked on-line through a 'rooms available' website and came up trumps with this!. From the greeting by the doorman to the attantiveness byt the reception management, the conducted tour of the hotel and personal accompanimant to the room (actually they upgraded us to a suite at no charge), this wwas simply a magical stay. We had only made the slightest mention of the occasion and on returning to the hotel very late in the evening we found the room prepared and a birthday cake and card from the management! Lovely!
Absolutely the best and on the list to visit again. And we would have loved to have said hello to Sally....(you need to stay there to understand...)

Room Tip: We were on the ninth floor - we overlooked Green Park - it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed for one night, on arrival we were met with a fairly chaotic scene.. lots of luggage in random places in the reception area & general mayhem, have to say we were a little taken aback. We quickly left this scene after having checked our bags which as we left were in a 'random' spot by the entrance to the bar along with the others. We reassured ourselves that we had arrived at peak check-out time and that our bags would find somewhere safe to wait for us no doubt soon.
The location of the Athenaeum is perfect for walking into the heart of the West End, Knightsbridge the parks and many of London's famous landmarks. If you don't fancy the walk, it is equally in a great spot for a quick & reasonable taxi fare. We arrived back at the Athenaeum to a much calmer scene & spent a few hours relaxing before a night out. Our room was clean with all the usual accoutrements, I wouldn't describe it as luxurious, a little sparse, but comfortable. Our room faced a side street, I think above the lounge where afternoon tea is served on the 2nd floor, it was quiet and we had an undisturbed nights sleep.
Breakfast was nice, a comprehensive choice of options to suit everyone and service was efficient and the attitude to guests in our experience welcoming and professional.
We did have a few general observations that are noteworthy to those considering a stay at the Athenaeum ; It is most definitely an understated hotel, do not expect grandeur. The staff that greet you & give you that so very important first impression on arrival at any hotel whether for the first time you enter or return back to the hotel at any time during the day or night are crucially important and this in our experience is an area in which we felt the Athenaeum most definitely needs to pay some attention. The 'uniforms?' of the gentlemen staff are looking very tired in some cases quite grubby. Being met at the door of a five star hotel by a man looming in a brown bobbly jumper is not what anyone from any walk of life would expect & very old & shrunken woolly gloves ? Surely they should be black leather ? and fit ! And may I suggest at the very least a dry clean of the hat & morning coat is in order ? Thats it.. I wouldn't be me if I didn't mention it. To sum up, The Athenaeum is in a fantastic location, it is understated & comfortable, would we stay again ? In our case probably not, a trip to London is a rare treat .... next time, for very similar room rates, we will plump for the grandeur....

Room Tip: We looked at a park view room & if staying more than one night would say is worth the additional...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tirolerhoff
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was the second time I have stayed here, and it was just as good as the first. The location is ideal for strolling around the parks and seeing the sights of London which was handy for me as I had a day to while away. At the hotel the reception is swift and trouble-free and there is always a willing pair of hands if needed, the room was large, comfortable, quiet and had a view over Green Park, and the facilities in the room were really good; fridge full of cold drinks, really good tea and coffee making including a large Nespresso machine, and plenty of choice on telly! We dined in the hotel restaurant in the evening and enjoyed an excellent dinner with very good service. The menu and wine list clearly were aimed at people like us who didn't want to travel too far; there were no big surprises on the menu or rare treats in the wine list, but it was more than good enough. All in all an excellent place when staying in the centre of London, the kind of place you can come back to knowing it will be good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear mikepee,
Thank you for your lovely comments. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff to be helpful. I look forward to welcoming you back to the athenaeum in the near future.
Best Wishes,