WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #168 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“As good as ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Booked a last minute special deal to London to meet up with my flat mates from our student days over forty years ago and accepted a bargain price for this fabulous, homely and very special hotel. It is many years since I've stayed at the Athenaeum and I hoped its quality had not diminished....I was not disappointed; it is as wonderful as ever! My room was spacious and spotless with lovely furniture, beautiful bathroom and (incredibly), complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic drinks! A very special mention must go to the receptionist "Betty" whose welcome on my arrival and throughout my stay was charming, courteous and always accompanied by a beautiful, beaming smile! The Betty's of this world are what make hotels exceptional and I sincerely hope that her employers appropriately value this treasure in their midst and that she is fast-tracked through the ranks! Very well done and thanks for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to relish the views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Polish first
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

My partner and I booked the Athenaeum hotel through last minute.com as a top secret hotel and had a great stay this weekend.

Our greeting at reception was faultless and the receptionist took us out to our room to show us the functions and extras that the room had. We were in house 2 which is adjacent to the hotel and is made up of a series of rooms and apartments. The block has a small lift which was handy as our room was on the fourth floor.

The room itself was a great size, clean and well decorated. The soft drinks and food from the minibar are included in the price and there was a good selection of fizzy drinks, juice, water, crisps and choclate bars. The room also has robes and Ren toiletries.

The room had a large selection of pillows (all feather), I think there was 8 in total of different softness. There is also easily adjustable heating/cooling and was very quiet. The blackout curtains meant that we had a great nights sleep.

We didn't use the breakfast/afternoon tea room but we did use the whiskey bar on the Saturday night. The staff were helpful and knowledgable and the selection of drinks were great.

The location of the hotel is great, it's on the hyde park corner end of Picadilly so is within easy walking or the tube to all places within London. They were also happy to look after our cases whilst we enjoyed London on the day after our stay.

Overall we had a great stay and would recommend.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We booked (as it seems a lot of people have) a last minute secret hotel as a treat ahead of a very special dinner in Mayfair and unfortunately did not have the experience we were expecting.

I arrived at the hotel an hour before my partner as he was late from work and was greeted very suspiciously by the reception team. Consider it a pretty woman moment (to be nice about it) but I felt like I was certainly being 'examined' which when you are head to toe in corporate work attire plus a black coat is not what you would expect! I was told the room number and vaguely pointed in the way of the lifts without so much as a smile. For a 5 star hotel this is not the 'welcome' experience I was expecting and quite frankly I was a little disgusted but too focused on my special dinner to let it ruin my evening.

Thereafter the room was a bit of a disappointment and not worthy of 5 stars. Yes, there were some lovely touches with the free soft drinks and chocolate as well as the free wifi but that didn't make up for the mirror opposite the toilet on the back of the door (no one wants to see themselves on the toilet regardless of how much bigger it makes the room feel!) or the freezing cold air conditioning that had me awake in shivers in the middle of the night.

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful meal in Mayfair and on the basis that we got a good rate on the room chose not to complain as it was really the location that worked for us. Had I paid anymore than the £150 from last minute I certainly would have had a lot more to say but ultimately you get what you pay for so I consider it a lesson for future.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank andie80
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Andie80,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your experience with us although I am naturally disappointed to discover that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you were anticipating. At the athenaeum, we pride ourselves on the personalised service that our reception team deliver to our guests. I truly apologise that your welcome to the hotel appeared inappropriate and suspicious as it would never be our intention to offend our customers in any way ; I have passed this feedback on to our Front Desk team it is important that they are aware of how they were perceived on this occasion..
I am also very sorry that you found the air conditioning to be too cold and wish that this had been brought to our attention at the time so that we could have endeavoured to alleviate the discomfort that you felt. I am however pleased to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary soft drinks, snacks and internet.
Should you wish to contact me personally to discuss your disappointment in greater detail please do so and I do hope you may give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us and welcome you back to the athenaeum in the future .
Best Wishes,
Wayne Kerrin
Assistant to the General Manager
caz726
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my husband and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The doorman and reception staff all remembered our names and referred to us by name which for a London hotel was astonishing, you dont usually get this level of personalised service! The concierge was extremely helpful at not only directing us to where we wanted to be but also had lots of hints and tips of hidden gems to go and visit and top tips on all the shows to see. We stayed in one of the apartments, which although we had to walk outside to get to, was lovely. As has been said before the contents of the mini bar were free which was great. The room was spotless and I especially liked the bathroom which had a huge shower. It's in a great location just a 5 minute walk to the tube station and a lovely walk through green park to Buckingham palace. The only down side was the cost of the drinks in the bar which was astronomical, but then for a good hotel in central London I guess that's what you get.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from a two night weekend break at The Atheneum. Absolutely loved it, rooms are great, free mini bar a bonus and, whilst not the cheapest hotel, it was well worth the extra money! Will definitely go back, hopefully soon....

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Book with lastmunite.com £150 a night secret hotel for our anniversary.
Amazing hotel, staff are so efficient,we are celebrating our anniversary and they made it so special for me and my wife,
Would definitely be back

Room Tip: 5th floor room 503
1 Thank isam B
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I booked a night at the Athenaeum as a surprise for my husband's birthday, through Secret Escapes, saving quite a lot on the rack rate. I was a little anxious that the hotel might not get the booking, also that they might have a bit of an attitude towards us for booking at a discount. I was completely wrong on both counts. I let the hotel know in advance that this was a special occasion, and they emailed straight back to say they would upgrade us if possible which I didn't place much reliance on.

Well, not only did they upgrade us from a deluxe room to a 9th floor suite overlooking Green Park, waiting for us in the room was a handwritten birthday card and a birthday cupcake complete with candle and strategically placed box of matches. The welcome from reception was very friendly, and we were escorted up to the suite (I think because the receptionist wanted to see our faces when we saw the upgrade and the card and cake). The suite consisted of an entrance hall with writing desk, a sitting room with sofa, TV and bar area, a bedroom with a huge perspex four-poster and a large bathroom.

Although the Athenaeum is a large West End hotel, the private ownership shows through as it never feels part of an impersonal chain. All the staff are friendly and helpful, the decor is tasteful but also a bit fun (we had little perspex boxes of toy soldiers including a toy Queen Elizabeth in our room), and there are a multitude of thoughtful extras included for your comfort. The wifi is free (although we couldn't access it in our room and had to go down to reception to use it), the toiletries are lovely, and absolutely everything non-alcoholic in the minibar is free. That's not only mineral water, Coke and mixers, but nuts, Kettle Chips, Mars Bars, Kitkats, and Ben & Jerry's ice cream in a special little freezer. There is a Nespresso machine with about 20 different capsules, a proper kettle and various teas and fresh milk in the minibar fridge. If I was really looking for something to find fault with, I could only say that I was unable to find a knife to cut the lemon and lime that we had been provided with on the bar.

Breakfast was a really high standard - a huge buffet bar with many different types of fresh fruit, pastries etc and a wonderful cooked breakfast. Again, service was flawless and the dining room is a little bit wacky and really classy.

I really loved this hotel, and although we live in London will definitely stay here again if it comes up on Secret Escapes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple