We booked (as it seems a lot of people have) a last minute secret hotel as a treat ahead of a very special dinner in Mayfair and unfortunately did not have the experience we were expecting.
I arrived at the hotel an hour before my partner as he was late from work and was greeted very suspiciously by the reception team. Consider it a pretty woman moment (to be nice about it) but I felt like I was certainly being 'examined' which when you are head to toe in corporate work attire plus a black coat is not what you would expect! I was told the room number and vaguely pointed in the way of the lifts without so much as a smile. For a 5 star hotel this is not the 'welcome' experience I was expecting and quite frankly I was a little disgusted but too focused on my special dinner to let it ruin my evening.
Thereafter the room was a bit of a disappointment and not worthy of 5 stars. Yes, there were some lovely touches with the free soft drinks and chocolate as well as the free wifi but that didn't make up for the mirror opposite the toilet on the back of the door (no one wants to see themselves on the toilet regardless of how much bigger it makes the room feel!) or the freezing cold air conditioning that had me awake in shivers in the middle of the night.
My boyfriend and I had a wonderful meal in Mayfair and on the basis that we got a good rate on the room chose not to complain as it was really the location that worked for us. Had I paid anymore than the £150 from last minute I certainly would have had a lot more to say but ultimately you get what you pay for so I consider it a lesson for future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- By the Royal Parks Intimate and sophisticated, the fabulous 5-star Athenaeum is your home-away-from-home in Mayfair, central London. You're opposite Royal Parks and Buckingham Palace, just down the road from national museums and galleries, and close to world-renowned shops and theatres. Michelin-starred chefs For eating and drinking, there's afternoon tea (voted "Best in London 2012"), an restaurant run by Michelin-starred chefs, and a fine bar - home to a large collection of whiskies and signature cocktails. For a little "me-time", our spa offers relaxing treatments, relaxation room, wet area and a well-equipped fitness room. Free WiFi, iPod(R) docks All guestrooms are spacious with modern decor and premium bedding. You can catch a game on the plasma TV, stream tunes through the iPod(R) dock, and browse the Web with free WiFi, all while sipping an espresso coffee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Athenaeum Hotel And Apartments
- Athenaeum Hotel Apartments
- The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences London, England