“excellent experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #166 of 1,086 Hotels in London
england
“excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Booked through a third party offer, but this did not detract from the top notch service given by all the staff we met during our one night in london.

We were met with an efficent booking in and were soon unpacking in the room, which was clean, comfy and very well equipped with coffe/tea maker, iron and board, cups, glasses, fresh milk, snacks, water, (all free), bedside clock and i pod dock.

Also had afternoon tea which was a lovely experience.

Slept like a log on very comfy bed.

Breakfast unrushed and excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at the Athenaeum for two nights at start of November; tremendous experience from arrival to departure. For our wedding anniversary we were given upgrade to private apartment, which was very spacious, clean and comfortable. All staff were so very friendly and helpful, even passing to us a card and cake for the anniversary. Breakfast had choices from everything imaginable and was so very tasty. We borrowed bikes and rode around Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Location is really good, in the smart part of the city, but with all sights and theatres etc easily reachable by nearby tube or from a doorman flagged taxi.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed for five nights earlier this month. Wanted a hotel in Central London that was reasonably priced. Got room for about 1000 pounds for the five night stay which was quite an amazing deal. The hotel is in-between Green Park and Hype Park station (posh part of London). The location is ideal for jumping into black cabs (did not spend more than 10 pounds on cabs on my trips around central London. The lobby is quite small, would not exactly say that it is grand, but generally okay (free jelly babies in lobby quite yummy :-)), I never tried any of the restaurants in the hotel but the room service was fine. My room (standard room) was very cosy and quiet, the bathroom was terribly small (similar to bathrooms in NY but quite shocking for a central London 5* hotel). It was however very clean and although I felt a bit perturbed by the size on day 1 of my stay, by day 3 I was totally used to it. It would however be way too claustrophobic for more than one person (I was alone) so go for a bigger room if you are more than one. The free in-room minibar (alcoholic drinks not free) is quite impressive - stayed in so many hotels all over the world and I have never come across a free in-room bar service before. The minibar is also restocked on a daily basis! The main issue I had with this hotel - the bed! Now, the bed is actually quite comfortable BUT the hotel seems to use a featherbed on top of the mattress (or some other sort of feather bedding) and the feathers pricked me whenever I lay on the bed (not that bad but still). After the second day, I put a blanket on top of the sheets before I lay on them. So slight worry but nothing that cannot be resolved with a little complaint (I didn't bother complaining). All in all, this is a good hotel but not one that I would rush to stay in again unless of course I find rates that I simply cannot turn down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
George, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel with very good location. Room was well equipped with everything I needed. My only negative point is that I used the conscierge for theater and other tickets. The tickets came at a substantial premium to the face value and only to find that the theater wasn't even half full! The next show I went to the box office and found tickets at face value without a problem. Just hate being ripped off!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jan H
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked via last minute on a top secret hotel deal not knowing where we were booking and immediately on payment were sent the details and name. Whilst my husband attended a business meeting, I arrived with the bag too early for check in. This was not a problem. The doorman opened the door, another whipped the bag from me politely to enable me to check in. This took all of 2 minutes and they stored the bag and asked me if I needed transport anywhere. I met up with my husband and returned to be shown around the hotel by an extremely polite and proud to work there employee. He took us personally to our room (503) and showed us how all the lighting system, safe etc worked. There were robes on the back of the bathroom door, slippers and complimentary snacks and soft drinks and water in the mini bar. The room was decorated very nicely with a bay balcony that you could unlock and look at the view of green park. The bed and pillows were comfortable with a menu of other pillows if you wished to change them. Our bag was delivered promptly to the room. We returned after an evening out to find the bed turned down, mats placed next to the bed and the slippers placed ready to use. A breakfast menu was left for us and there was a nespresso coffee machine as well as a kettle in the room with a choice of different teas and coffees. The service was excellent, the room extremely quiet, we could not hear anything from any other room. We look forward to visiting again in the future and maybe will be able to squeeze in one of their afternoon teas and time to use the spa and sauna. Certainly not a hotel to use just for a bed for a night, you need time to savour its excellence and relax. Location was fantastic, on picadilly with buses that run from outside to picadilly circus and beyond as well as to knightsbridge. A stones throw from Hard Rock Cafe and walk behind the hotel into mayfair to find a range of pubs, restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: 505,504,503 all had a bay overlooking green park
2 Thank tigger32
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

The best London Hotel that I have experienced. A home from home, it felt intimate and friendly. Staff were a delight; friendly and professional, it felt as if they all really enjoyed working there.

Our room, 406, was comfortable and light with lots of cleverly used mirrors to make it feel spacious. Very clean and generously stocked with chocolate bars, dressing gowns, slippers and all that stuff.

Breakfasts were delicious, particularly the well cooked selections and the Greek yoghurt crème brulee (sublime!). Dinner (with our guests) was great, beautiful food and lovely discrete and personable service.

We have to re-visit as we didn't have time to use the spa facilities. We would like to live there! Thank you!

Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here for a night having booked a good deal with Last Minute. The Hotel itself is lovely and the staff we met were helpful and friendly. We were in room 516 which to be honest was very small. It was nicely furnished though and as we had a cheap deal with Last Minute.com we were fine with it. However if we had paid full price I would have been slightly disappointed. The bed was lovely and comfortable and the complimentary mini bar is a nice touch. The shower in the bathroom had good pressure but the bathroom itself could do with a bit of a facelift, it was starting to look a bit tired. All in all though a nice hotel in a really good location for shopping on oxford street etc.