“Poor Service - Phone Charges”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #158 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Louisville, KY
“Poor Service - Phone Charges”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

Stayed four days for a business trip - ended on a low note with their surprising phone charges.

Before placing calls to the U.S. from the hotel, I called the hotel operator and told them I was using a 1-800 card and what would be the charge? They replied back 1.75 pounds per call connection with no mention of a charge per minute (in actuality it was 2 pounds per connection since they had recently done some kind of in-house upgrade). Later that night I check my in-room TV and the bill was not available. The recording made no mention of the charge per minute.

When I checked out, I recieved a shocking bill of over 500 pounds for less than 100 minutes of calls. The on-site manager even argued that it had been a problem in the past (yet nothing had been done to correct these problems). I did not have all day to fight the charges since I was catching a flight out, so I was able to get 40% of the bill taken off still reflecting 3 pounds per minute. Many hotels only pay 1-2 pence per minute that would give them 150x profit at 2 pence per minute for the "operating overhead." I gave them notice that I was not satisfied and they would be taking it up later. After multiple letters, the hotel refuses to change their stance. All I can say is "buyer beware."

Based on my calculation (27 pounds for a five minute call to New York), the Athenaeum would be the top of the list of shame on charges from London hotel for outgoing calls. The article can be found at: travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/essentials/article1839906.ece

• Disliked — Lack of Transparency on Phone Charges
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
8 Thank Bobtime

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bryn mawr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2008

My husband and 2 small children stayed here and loved it!! It is an excellent way to enjoy London with Apartment living with hotel amenities. The service was outstanding and I would recommend this hotel for families. My husband and I plus kids have travelled to London on several occassions and have found this hotel to be the best.

• Liked — quality of service and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank djsbrynmawr
oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

A wonderful stay in this hotel. Beautiful park views and a rare glimpse of some warm sunshine made our trip outstanding. All the staff were friendly and helpful, especially the doormen who have to be amongst the best in london. Joggers, you're in for a treat! Towels and water are considerately placed by the hotel exit to make your run a bit more special! Almost made me want to start exercising.
Good bedrooms although i never worked out how the cd players worked. Beautiful decor too. I have a phobia of lifts so always find myself wandering around the hotel stairs at odd hours- often a miserable experience as regular readers of my reviews will know. This hotel gets a 5* from me - even their fire exits are beautiful and well kept! Can't wait to return.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — hard bed
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank ALNK
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2008

Good Location close to lovely restaurants in Mayfair. Booked standard room through Lastminute.com and were upgraded to a lovely room overlooking Green Park. The Doorman was delightful and the ladies on reception could learn from his friendly and warm disposition. Didn't use the restaurant as it looked very bright but seemed very popular. The whiskey bar was nice but pricey; we didn't bother with breakfast as there were lots of coffee places close by. Bus stop directly outside and always lots of taxis in that location. Was a very pleasant hotel, didn't blow me away but for the same sort of cost would stay again. Bed was very comfortable with great pillows which is so important.

• Liked — Location and bed
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babybuny
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2008

This is a real nice little hotel (by London standards). Obviously room was on the smallish size, but that's par for the course so I didn't mark them down on that.

Reception and check in was flawless. Room was pricey, but I only booked it on the night before (so that's my problem), so expect to get it at a reasonable rate (I paid £300 for 1 night)

Room was clean, everything worked. It was really comfortable. No complaints on the bathroom either, great shower. Bed was very comfy.

Staff were great, I managed to get a late checkout, with no problem at all.

Location is nice, but very posh.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank oruanaidh
donegal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

I booked a weekend break for myself & my husband on lastminute.com. I had originally chosen this as a possible hotel to book directly through their own website. However, having read the description on a top secret deal on last minute, it was blatantly obvious that this was the Athenaeum. There was a considerable difference in price and this was the only reason I booked with last minute.com and not with the hotel direct. I phoned the hotel a few days prior to arrival to confirm that we were in fact booked in. I enquired as to whether our room was facing Green Park. I was told that such rooms were available but at a charge of £50 per night. I declined and took my chances! Our room was overlooking a side street (Down St) not much of a view. I have to say that I generally don't comment on these sites but felt that having read previous reviews, upgrades seem to be dished out in a somewhat haphazard manner. Seems to be the luck of the draw on the day or who shouts the loudest. Our room was a standard double, ok for what we paid I guess, but it had a long way to go to being 5 star. Our double bed was 2 single mattresses pushed together, disappointing. The room was pleasant and clean, bathroom also clean. Toiletries are Neutrogena, not 5 star products. Rooms are cleaned every day which is great. We accepted the offer of a complimetary newspaper which we didn't receive on the first day. I would normally be someone who would voice an opinion when a product or service wasn't up to standard, however, as I booked with last minute at a price lower that the hotel charge, I felt I wouldn't be within my rights as such. Location wise, the hotel is so central which I was delighted with. I didn't eat in the hotel so couldn't comment. We did have a drink in the hotel bar one evening, pricey but pleasant. Staff very courteous in this area but at check in I found lady quite curt. I wouldn't stay again in a standard room. I feel I maybe would have had a vastly different experience had I paid over the odds and booked with the hotel.

Stayed January 2008
4 Thank traveldoll11
Herts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

Stayed for one night this weekend and I was very impressed by the friendly staff, great room and excellent location. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for 4/5 * in central London and not wanting to pay silly money. We booked on lastminute.com and got a standard double for £145, we were assigned an executive double on arrival which was slightly bigger . The bed was very comfortable with very nice linens and the bathroom was small but classy. The spa is small but clean and nice and the bar cosy. We did not eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food. Very handy for Green Park tube (with its M&S food store if you don't want to pay mini bar prices).
I will definitely stay again if available at this price.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple