“Great for Families, Service Outstanding”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #155 of 1,063 Hotels in London
USA
“Great for Families, Service Outstanding”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

In July 2011, family of five stayed six nights in two adjoining rooms. The staff catered to my young children like you wouldn't believe. In-room DVDs and Wii games, popcorn, cookies and milk every night, games, complimentary mini-bar, etc. They really made us feel welcome.

It was very tough to find a hotel in London, with availability, that would accommodate a family of 5. We were about to give up when I called the Athenaeum. Cora (a manager) went the extra mile to find something that would work for us. I can't thank her enough - we probably wouldn't have made the trip without her help.

The concierges were great. Darren and Duncan arranged tickets and tours for us that were flawless. They were also helpful before our arrival, answering my many questions and arranging an airport transfer.

The hotel faces Green Park, is a block away from the original Hard Rock, and a short walk from Shepherd's Market, which is a nice area with pubs and restaurants. The Green Park underground station is a short walk, as is Buckingham Palace. We were within walking distance of Harrods, St. James Park, and Piccadilly Circus.

The level of service throughout the hotel is amazing. The entire staff bent over backwards to make sure our trip was pleasant. The doormen, bellmen, front desk and restaurant staff, were all all amazing. We didn't have a negative experience the entire stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Rollie93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed at the Athenaeum this past weekend and we absolutely loved every minute of it. We took my partner's parents to London for the night for the wedding anniversary and the staff made everything so wonderful. When we checked in I asked if they could possibly upgrade his parent's room and Marcia kindly helped with that. The room itself was lovely. Airy, beautifully furnished as one would expect from a Park Lane hotel.

When we got into our room we could live with the size (compared to his parent's upgrade) since we did order a standard room, however, the room next door was being redecorated and the paint fumes were aggravating my aasthma. I reported it to the Marcia, who upgraded us to an apartment imeediately since she said my health was more important.

The hotel itself was beautiful, but I just cannot say enough about Robert and Marcia at the front desk. Thank you to them since it really made our weekend, and his parents had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank balibasi
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I booked one night here with Mrs Beoirgra so that we could catch the Tim and Eric Awesome Show live at the Leicester Square Theatre. It is well placed for central London, though it is very close to some of the most over-priced, fashion label nonsense shops in London. However, the proximity to Hyde Park and Green Park is wonderful, particularly if you prefer a nice walk away from the crowded streets of Lindin.

The hotel is a real find. An extremely comfortable hotel that is respectful of its customers, and doesn't try to rip you off at every available opportunity. Most importantly it was very clean, and the bed was refreshingly comfortable, so we both got an excellent night's sleep (something that can be quite difficult at some hotels). The complimentary toiletries were delightful - if you are a metrosexual rennaisance man like me, you will enjoy the moisturising conditioner and delightful grapefruit soap. It is also wonderfully quiet and peaceful - quite an acheivement for a central London hotel.

The espresso maker was one of the most joy inducing additions to a room I have ever seen. Also, all of the goodies in the fridge are free (except for the alcohol) and includes loads of water, juice, chocolate, muts, crisps etc. Be very careful about the alcohol though - they don't make it that clear that they using a 2025 costing system. I had one whiskey before Mrs Beoirgra informed me that it was £8! Half a bottle of wine is £18!

A couple of negatives, if I may. Firstly, we arrived at the hotel at about 1pm and were in a hurry to check-in and get going to make use of the day. We were told that check-in was 2pm, and therefore we had to wait around for an hour which really put the skids on trying to make the most from the afternoon. I personally feel that 1pm is a reasonable time to be able to check-in to a hotel room. Secondly, on two occasions a cleaner try to entered the room whilst we were still there. Given myself and Mrs Beoirgra's propensity to wander around hotel rooms with our respective pink bits exposed, that seemed unpleasantly invasive. Luckily we kept the chain lock on, something I would advise others to do if you also enjoy luxuriating in a room with all your glands on show.

However, these were minor issues. The cleanliness, comfort, quiet and location really make for a great stay at a five-star London hotel that is more than just an ostentatious foyer. Incidentally Tim and Eric were great. Eric sat on my lap whilst playing a toy saxophone during Song for Mommy.

Room Tip: Ask for a park facing room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SeamusBeoirgra
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My visit to the Athenaeum Hotel in the heart of London was nothing short of exceptional. It really was like my home, with a filled fridge with complimentary snacks and drinks and people who cared about me. I felt that the hotel staff made me feel special from start to finish. They were always available, especially if you are traveling by yourself.
Aesthetically it is also a beautiful hotel with some quirky decorations and even toys were used to accent the rooms. My favorite time was spent in the garden room having tea and chilling out with some good desserts. The pluses of the hotel are indeed its location, which is a stone’s throw from Piccadilly Circus and dangerously close to Fortnum and Mason, which can become your hangout if you’re not careful. It also worth taking a stroll down Queen’s Walk and up to Buckingham Palace because it so close. Weekly cocktail parties are a plus as your get to meet the staff and the folks around you; definitely not a stuffy run-of-the-mill chain hotel. Breakfasts are highly recommended and you can poached eggs and Devonshire honey from the honeycomb, instead of just little pots of honey and jam. The afternoon tea, either honey or regular, is not be missed and can fill up rapidly, so get in early. Another added bonus was the WIFI, free use of the spa and sauna.
On a commendable note, Suzanne, one of the managers on duty, saw that I was sneaking toffee candies from the garden room (yes, they keep candy jars in parts of the hotel, free for the taking!) and immediately sent me a plate to my room. Duncan, the concierge, offers the best advice and is not shy about giving honest opinion, which is rare and welcomed.These acts show the level of dedication and care that the Athenaeum wants to give its visitors. I can’t wait to visit London again and stay with this warm and delightful staff and hotel!

Room Tip: Order early and get the run of the mill room, it's cheaper.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 2kAU
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The Atheneaum is my husband's favorite London hotel when he is there on business, and I got to stay with him on his most recent trip. He's been staying there for years, and now I know why he raves about it so much. The location, ambience, comfort and service are all top-notch! They proclaim to be "Your London Home" and that's so true, only better! The location, in mid-Mayfair, is ideal for business and sightseeing. Our room overlooked Green Park, a stone's throw from Buckingham Palace and Picadilly. My favorite discovery was the neat shopping/restaurant area a few blocks from the Atheneaum, (I can't remember the name of the area!) where one can dine on French, English, Lebanese or Italian food, all in one block. The coup de' grace though for me was the conceirge, Darren! He helped me plan out each day's sightseeing and shopping and was so helpful, funny and friendly! HUGE asset to The Athenaeum Hotel. Can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara N
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 24, 2011

A special gem of a hotel! We stayed twice at the front and tail end of a Europe holiday from Asia and looked forward to our return to London from Europe since we knew we were returning to The Athenaeum.

Great for families with kids. Kids under 12 eat for free from their own extensive menu. Very useful if you have a young peckish child and it's handy to feed them before setting out for the day in London. The attentive staff includes a dedicated kids' concierge and they supply a range of toys, crayons and items that helps you cut down on packing. (grab packets of bird seed before walking across to Green Park)

With/without kids, another generous touch was the complimentary (except alcohol) mini-bar of snacks and soft drinks and a good nespresso coffee machine.

We've been recommending this hotel to all friends and would be happy to have the chance to return.

Location is also excellent, being right on Picadilly. An easy walk across the park brings you to the Palace Changing of the Guard ceremony, and also to the Tube station and a well-stocked M&S Food.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mrsDIY
hollywood
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel in the perfect location. The Athenaeum is a smaller, more boutique hotel that has a well trained, incredibly hospitable staff. They went out of their way to make sure our room was right and that our stay was memorable. The rooms are decent size, built and finished with quality, nicely decorated, quality hair dryer, flat screen, slippers and robes...bathrooms are also really nice, marble, shower pressure was very strong, Ren products in the bath...It was really Nice to have the internet, snacks and drinks in the mini bar included at no extra charge. The location is excellent as You can walk to the underground or buses, take a jog/stroll through Green park which is right across the street, be at Buckingham palace in a 5 minute walk. The continental breakfast was outstanding, fresh fruit, juices, quality cereals, breads, crossaints, tea, coffee. The spa and gym is nice, not huge, but big enough..What makes this place special besides the beauty of the hotel is the staff and the location. When the doorman Jim says, 'Welcome Home' every time you arrive, you really feel like you have come home. We will definitely go back to the Athenaeum. I highly recommend it!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple