“Fabulous hotel in the heart of London”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #32 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed for one night in February and had the most fantastic stay. The hotel is very opulent and grand with impeccable service.i would highly recommend as a venue to celebrate a special occasion. I was staying as a birthday treat. I also had high tea which was a highlight.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank warri66
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you - do come again. SB

Write a ReviewReviews (3,751)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Right from the very onset of my booking, I had a couple of really pleasant emails, asking me if there was anything they, at The Ritz, could do for me on my forthcoming stay. As soon as I arrived at the hotel (Monday 3rd March, 2014), I was taken care of and I received such courteousness and personal attention, I hadn't anticipated this at all.

I was shown to my room and offered, at a surcharge - a more luxurious room which I eventually decided upon.

The rooms are luxurious and exceptionally clean with every amenity catered for their guests. The bedrooms are sumptuously decorated in a style befitting a bygone era, a time when old world charm and refinements were the norm. The bathroom, shower and toilet fittings are a ritzy gold and there are plenty of warm towels on the heated towel rail (much appreciated by me) and ample amounts of toiletries, slippers, bathrobes, stationery, spare blankets and notepads with pencils by the bedsides.

A very welcome tray of fruit and home-made shortbread plus coffee and tea PLUS the all-important kettle was brought to my room and refreshed everyday.

The room key is an old-fashioned yale-lock on a chunky royal blue and gold key ring which, should you happen to forget to post at concierge on your daily outing, would grace any table, if you, *ahem*, nonchalantly removed it from your pocket!

Nothing was too much trouble from the staff at The Ritz. There was always a friendly greeting from all the staff at the hotel and on checking out, I had the services of the ever-charming Sachin who was most helpful. Benjamin and John at Reception looked after me on my arrival and Sheila looked after me at my departure. And now I am going to tell you the part that really made my day, made my stay and made me want to return…… Sheila came and saw me out of the hotel and into my taxi and she waited until we moved away and waved me goodbye. I was on Cloud Nine!

I would like to thank all the staff at The Ritz for making my stay so enjoyable. My Room was 408 and I arrived on Monday the 3rd March, 2014 and departed Thursday the 6th March, 2014.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the less likely you would be to hear any traffic noise from Piccadilly below.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Jen J

Wow! I love this roundup of your stay and the fact that you have named the staff members who contributed to 'making the difference' does not surprise me at all - they are all valued members of the front office team and are known to go above and beyond the call of duty! Thank you. SB

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed here on Sunday 16th February for one night. We had to be with a client at 9am near the houses of parliament on the Monday morning. The flooding had caused huge problems to the Reading to Paddington railway line, so we decided to come up the day before & stay at the Ritz. From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left, nothing was too much trouble. They remembered our name, and everyone was so friendly & polite. We had booked a superior room, I think, but we got upgraded to a junior suite. It was lovely. We were going to have dinner at the hotels restaurant, but the only available table was at 10 pm, as we had booked only 2 days before our visit. We weren't sure if we would be working late the next day. But the team, looked into availability for us in case we wanted to stay another night. We packed our bags, and said we would try & let them know if we would be staying a second night. We could even have the same junior suite. In the end, after a long day, we decided to go home. So we rang them from a taxi, said we were 5 mins away. Could they get our car & luggage ready. We arrived at the hotel, and our car was ready & waiting, luggage & all. We were ready to go. Thank you to all the team for making our stay so lovely. That includes the bar staff, where we went to have a glass of champagne & a snack on our arrival. We will be back in August & look forward to seeing you all again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you. It does indeed seem that all went as well as it possibly could and I am constantly impressed at how the teamwork within the hotel rises to occasion time after time. I hope you will have a similar outcome in August. SB

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Can honestly say this hotel is the best we have ever stayed at. We booked a 2 night weekend break for our wedding anniversary & from the moment of arrival & greeting from the doorman we had the very best of service, courtesy & care. Our room wasn't quite ready as our flight from Glasgow was slightly early, but the Hotel manager Mr Sal Gowili happened to hear this and asked if we would meanwhile like a personal orientation tour of the hotel which we were very happy to take up & he explained it's history & background & generally made us feel very very welcome. This service continued throughout our stay - we booked High Tea for early Saturday evening at The Palm Court and again this did not disappoint - it was a fine experience & one The Ritz should be very proud of. Our room was large & faced Picadilly (executive King I think) we had everything for our comfort & felt definitely that we were in a luxurious hotel. We had cocktails In The Rivolli Bar Saturday early evening & again the service was absolutely fantastic. as was breakfast service both mornings in The Ritz Restaurant - the most magnificent restaurant I'm sure I've ever be in. Overall this hotel is very worthy of it's reputation - we could not fault it in any way and were treated like royalty throughout our entire stay. A big 'thank you' to all concerned for making our stay such a memorable one, and we will most definitely be back hopefully in the not too distant future

Room Tip: Even though our room faced busy Picadilly it was not noisy & we slept well at night. Air condit...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WemyssBayKath

Thank you for the lovely appraisal of your stay and I hope you will come again soon. SB

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed at the Ritz for 3 nights in single room (King Room). Main rooms all beautiful as expected, plenty of staff waiting to help. Atmosphere refined. Rivoli bar has intimate areas to allow quiet talking with companions. Breakfast food and service was tip top.

Room was even larger than expected, very smart with champagne, fruit and chocolates and a lovely rose and other plants provided. All room conveniences provided although I did not find an ironing board or iron.

Efficient booking in and payment service, with no waiting

On the downside, room was not quite ready on time. Several bathroom floor tiles were cracked, and the grouting had turned brown. The grouting on the wall tiles was poorly finished around the toilet area. The toilet seat did not fit the bowl properly. The only shower was in the bath and the water temperature changed significantly while I was under it (pretty annoying). The TV battery for the remote control did not work (I would have thought the Ritz would have a check list before guests arrive). Battery was changed quickly though.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a separate shower if you want one
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments, both positive and negative. I am of course disappointed to read that there were maintenance issues, and if you would care to contact me or our Reservations department to let us know what room you stayed, I will personally ensure that the points you raise are attended to. As you have probably read before, the hotel is in a constant cycle of renovation and repair and I am sorry that your room was not up to our usual high standards. SB

Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is an excellent hotel which looks fantastic and does what it does very well, staff helpful and friendly. Completely lives up to its name. Rivoli bar excellent. The Club underneath, which you can use as a guest, is a very interesting find, membership is free to residents. Dining is available all hours in the club, and the food in the Rivoli bar is very good too. Very good choice of champagnes. I don't think the Ritz can easily be bettered, maybe because it really is in a class of its own, other hotels don't do things this way anymore, they have all fallen prey to modernization and, ok, they often do it very well, but the Ritz feels like it has never changed and you somehow feel transported back to a golden age.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

You are indeed correct, we are a traditional hotel with no pretentions to modernise - there are hotels which can do that much more effectively. I am grateful for your comments and of course delighted that our old world charm still works its magic. SB

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed at the Ritz on 22nd February for my partners birthday. We booked the dining package which was tremendous value. On arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite. As we were being shown the suite a birthday cake arrived for my partner - what a wonderful gesture. The room was fabulously spacious and as you'd expect spotlessly clean.

We enjoyed champagne and cocktails in the bar before dinner and as always the service was excellent. Dinner was served in the Ritz Restaurant which was amazing! From the bread through to the chocolate soufflé everything was faultless and delicious. The singer and the band were excellent too - just right for the setting and wonderful background music. The dancers in the interval were incredible. The memories of that evening will stay with me for ever.

The following morning we enjoyed a lovely breakfast in the restaurant with more delicious food and wonderful service. Again everything was perfect!

If you are looking for lovely surroundings, great food, nice wines and the best customer service in the world - then the Ritz is the place for you. I can highly recommend it. It was a special treat for us and we are already planning our next visit - hopefully in December so we can enjoy the Christmas Decorations. There is only one word to describe the Ritz ....perfection!

Room Tip: All the rooms are magnificent!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lCumbrialor

Perfection is our aim, and I am delighted that we scored high with you. I hope that you will return again in December, in fact, we have agreed this week that the Christmas decorations will go up on 21st November this year - and I have no doubt they will be spectacular. The Ritz is magical at Christmas time and I hope you will experience it for yourselves. SB