“A Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #32 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Wellington, New Zealand
“A Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Fantastic location, fabulous service with history to match. I stayed in a suite which was very spacious and well appointed. Touches like a welcome suite and complementary champagne were fabulous touches. Its hard to fault.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Excellent news. There is, however, always room for improvement, on your next visit please let me know if anything has changed! Many thanks. SB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Loved it. Perfect atmosphere. Classy. Grown up. Beautiful food, relaxing service, just everything you would expect and more from the ritz. Can't wait to go again . So much food is offered, sandwiches, as many as you want, scones with cream and jam, hot desert, cakes, pastries, we were even given a birthday cake for my dad

Stayed November 2012
Rhode Island
Reviewed October 6, 2013

As you'd expect, the physical facility of The Ritz is exceptional. Gorgeous common areas, dining room and bar and a great West End location. Our room was a very nicely decorated decent sized. We travel often to Europe from US and finally a hotel that provides you with a welcome suite to relax and clean up while your room is readied. Although the hotel is on a busy street, you do not notice that at all from inside or when coming or going. The door, reception, housecleaning and concierge staff were all outstanding and accomodating. We ate every morning and one dinner in the dining room during our five day say and the food was excellent. A bit of up selling by the sommalier, but not an issue. He was VERY friendly and informative. The only somewhat annoying issue, which did not bother my wife, was the very strict security. There is always a finely dressed gentleman in the reception area that interacts with mostly everyone coming into the hotel. I gather his purpose is to keep anyone other than guests out. However, after five days I found it a bit annoying to be greeted by "can I help you" or "room number, please". Never really encountered this level of security at other 5 star locations. Again, my wife and I differ on this point, but it seemed a bit intrusive to me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrianRI
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, however am rather surprised that you were not recognised after a day or two by Security. I apologise for this, and I understand why it irked you, however am heartened to note that your wife remained unperturbed. I hope you will return to stay at The Ritz. SB
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Yes, it is expensive, it is wall to wall gilt, but it's THE RITZ !!! We recently spent a weekend here for a family celebration and the whole experience was simply magical. The surroundings were divine and the staff (at every level) were superb. 5 Star everything without attitude. When I win the lottery, I think I might move in.......until then, think of me when you are clinking a glass in the Rivoli Bar !!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
When you hit the jackpot, please call the hotel and ask to speak to me personally! I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Ritz. Seriously, thank you for leaving your lovely comments and good luck with the lottery. SB
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We spent just one night for my birthday, will be for longer next time.

Excellent location, close to everything. Nice stroll through Green Park before an excellent breakfast. Good selection which caters for all nationalities. Dinner was super too, amazing dining room with a good pianist (will have some requests for him next time). Lunch in the bar was equally good with food quality as if it were from Chatsworth Farm shop.

Staff, exceptional. From the welcome from the doorman, reception and check in to the Porter who showed us our room. Very respectful and helpful but none of the attitude that one gets in some hotels where they seem to think they are too good to be there. They just couldn't do enough, tempting to think of some request to test them.

The bedroom was as if we were staying in someone's posh country house and not like the standard hotels...even a key for the door! Probably one of the most comfortable beds we have slept in...and very quiet despite seeing all the London buses rumbling by.

What I didn't like....well there has to be something! The constant stream of people coming and going for afternoon tea. Seems to begin about 12pm and continue until about 7pm. Surely afternoon tea should be 3.30 to 5pm! Many of the groups appeared as if they were on Hen parties and lots dressed inappropriately.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lovely that you enjoyed your special night at The Ritz - thank you for letting us know. I acknowledge your point about the guests coming in for Afternoon Tea, but it is so popular that if we did not offer several sittings per day, the waiting list would stretch way beyond what it is already. I hope it did not spoil your enjoyment unnecessarily. SB
Auckland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I am still buzzing about my visit and loved every minute of my stay at the Ritz - fantastic proffesional staff, amazing attention to detail, perfect location, history, glamour and old-world charm. It is out of this world and guest are made to feel very special.

I have stayed in historic hotels in different parts of the world so when I booked the entry level queen room at The Ritz I wondered if we were going to be treated to charming by run down hotel and if a standard room meant basic treatment.

To my absolute delight this hotel surpassed every expectation I had - it truely is renown for good reasons - if you can, do go and stay at The Ritz it is AMAZING and you will love it!

All the staff are a credit to The Ritz and thank you for your kindness to the Reception and to the doormen who were very helpful and charming.

Do go to the Rivoli and the Privite Club that guests have entry to they are both exceptional.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for this very upbeat and effervescent review. I am thrilled that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you also wrote to the staff separately to express your delight and gratitude with the service you received. I look forward to meeting you next time. SB
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Going to the Ritz is like a pilgrimage! One of the smartest hotels in London with that old-world charm: The rooms are decorated like an old-fashioned palace, the personnel is also dressed accordingly.

the location of the hotel at 150 Picadilly, right next to the subway and of course on Picadilly road with great shopping and restaurant venues is great.

My check in started from the moment my taxi stopped and the excellent staff, upon ascertaining my name, had everything ready for me before I even entered the hotel! Amazing...

Every detail, from the personnel asking if they can hang my jumper up in the closet for me, to the personal welcome letters written on the best stationery ever upon my arrival in the room, makes for a truly special experience...

One recommendation: it is best to dress up for this hotel, you will enjoy the experience more and fit in better. I was wearing jeans and trainers (not allowed in the restaurant for example) and almost felt like apologising to the painters who were doing some touch up work in the corridor and were better dressed than me!

Definitely need to stay at the Ritz London at least once in your life...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Great. As you correctly ascertained, we are a formal attire hotel and jeans and sports type shoes are not permitted in our beautiful restaurant. I am most heartened nonetheless that this did not deter you, but enhanced your experience of The Ritz. Thank you. SB