“Afternoon Tea at The Ritz”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #37 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 18, 2013

A "Must Do" experience for my wife's 50th birthday. We booked the 5.30pm sitting on Valentine's Day. The dining room is elegant and spacious. Visit the website to view it. You have up to 1 3/4 hours to relax.
We were offered a choice of Tea's. Tea was served in a generous size pot with a large pot of topping up water. A selection of sandwiches, scones with cream & jam and cakes were served. Having worked up an appetite, I soon got through the little sandwiches, although I did allow the wife a birthday sandwich as well :). After a while the waiters returned with the offer of more sandwiches (and did come back a third time) and another pot of tea. Scones were very good as were the cakes. Live piano music gently playing in the background finished off a pleasant, relaxing experience. Thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank AnthonyTelford
There are newer reviews for The Ritz London

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is still my favourite place to stay in London and I don't think it can be beaten on luxury or elegance. I stayed here for Christmas and was just overwhelmed by the Ritz. First impressions do count and I was bowled over when entering the palatial lobby with it's timeless decor and plush furnishings. I stayed in the Trafalgar Suite which is just out of this World. Other reviewers have said that the rooms are in need of update but I cannot see how? The rooms are of classic taste and this is the joy of The Ritz. My room was exceptionally clean, comfortable and luxurious. I would recommend spending extra and enjoying a Suite. On Christmas Eve I had Afternoon Tea in the Palm Court and can safely say that is the best tea I have had. The selection of finger sandwiches were prepared to perfection and the scones and cakes were so fresh and exquisite. From other reviews I have read, a few people have said that the atmosphere of the hotel is snobby and unless you wear certain clothes you will not fit in. I don't understand why these people chose the Ritz if they did not like this? It is an elegant building and I would be quite upset if people did not make the effort. If you like true luxury and excellent service then stay here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

How wonderful, and written like a true ambassador for The Ritz London. I hope we will continue to have you visit over the years, and that we will continue to delight. Thank you for your kind words. SB

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked the Ritz for my husbands birthday last week with high expectations of a luxury city break. The stroll down Piccadilly passed landmarks such as Fortnum & Mason, Bafta and the Wolseley was fantastic and the view of the Ritz as you arrive is again one of those warming feelings that make you proud to be British.
And there the magic ends we were shown to our room by the reception porter who had the wrong key, very dated rooms a bit like staying at your elderly aunts house all chintz and fluffy. The famous concierge had never heard of the cocktail bar we were meeting friends at just five minutes away. The room was so cold that night i had to put my coat over us just to keep warm. When i mentioned this in the morning i was given the usual scripted apology no eye contact and i walked away feeling very let down and quite sad.
The Ritz now seems to be a money making exercise with there afternoon teas even the breakfast was a let down. A very disappointing stay. the customer service has now all but gone in this great establishment.

6  Thank 58AMG
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

As you might imagine, I am extremely disappointed that we did not come anywhere close to your expectations. Yes, the decor at The Ritz is arguably a matter of personal taste, but that you were so cold is totally unacceptable, and I am only sorry that you did not mention this matter which is so easy to rectify. It is disheartening that neither Tea nor Breakfast were to your satisfaction, but mostly that you did not feel that the service was praiseworthy. Sincere apologies. SB

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place cannot even be reviewed in a way that justifies its elegance, scale and service. From the moment we arrived (early after an all-night flight and they put us straight in for glorious breakfast, on the house), to the moment we left (with hugs and tokens to remember them from the doormen), we absolutely loved this place. It was everything I thought it would be plus about a million little surprises. It is fancy. It's probably snobby. It's expensive. It's glorious. Is it for every year? Probably not. Is it worth a milestone or a once-in-a-lifetime? ABSOLUTELY. Do go for a suite -- it's amazing. Do join and go to the Ritz Cub -- it's fantastic. Do eat the food -- it's second to none. Do befriend the staff -- they are precious. Do walk all around the place, see it all. Go up, go down, ask to see the old basement, see the Club, have breakfast in the dining room, have a drink or dessert in the bar. Sit. Observe. Take it all in. It's not trendy.... it's not hip.... it's not what the teens would appreciate. Brush up on your manners, refresh your mind on extended place settings. This is a wonderful, beautiful, old, romantic hotel. I cannot wait to return!

And we all look forward to your return! Thank you for taking the time to share your remarks and I hope that we will surpass expectation on your next visit. SB

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The room was superb, though it felt a little too much like a museum, and the chairs though ornate were not hat comfortable. The beds looked fab, but mine is comfier.

Afternoon tea felt like a posh assembily line. A very expensive one. We were all sat down in a crampedspace, and then suddenly all the waiters came out proffering sandwiches etc. then just as quickly, they brought te tea, then came round with more supplies..... I felt like I would hear 'cue' and 'cut'... would not bother again.
Also I felt on show there.

The best facet of my stay was housekeeping; they really know how to make someone feel welcome there.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong, as I think the walls are so thick, you cannot hear street noise anyway. Roo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

I appreciate your comments and must acknowledge your remarks regarding housekeeping, which is particularly pleasing given how hard I know this department has to work. Afternoon Tea at The Ritz is a particular style of 'theatre' and the staff have a 'role' which I believe they perform extremely well. As you witnessed first hand, Tea at The Ritz is incredibly popular. I hope you will return to peruse the drinks list in the Rivoli Bar and savour the delights that are on offer there. SB

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The service was the best I have ever received anywhere in the world. I was pregnant when I visited and the staff were so helpful recommending foods that would be suitable etc without me even asking. Everything is so beautiful as you would expect from the Ritz. I would recommend having lunch rather than afternoon tea as it seemed very commercial and cramped. The lunch on the other hand was in the main restaurant and much more spaced out and the food was amazing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emma_louise028

Describing our service as the best you have received anywhere in the world is the best compliment you could possibly pay to a hotelier. I will savour that comment for some time to come and thank you wholeheartedly. I do hope that the rest of your pregnancy progresses happily and you will come back to stay with your baby. SB

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our stay at the RITZwas amazing, and was way beyond our expectations. We were really expecting some thing special and were not dissapointed!My only critisism was the afternoon tea was a bit commercialised,They have a lot of sittings and its been going for along time,so i suppose thats inevitable.Never the less it was still lovely.

1  Thank scottiesrobbscott

That we surpassed your expectations is wonderful news and I am delighted that you have taken the time to share your experience. I understand your comment regarding the popularity of Afternoon Tea, however we offer a variety of sittings due to the huge demand from our visitors. Nonetheless, I do hope you will come back to The Ritz on another occasion. SB