“Afternoon tea” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Larne, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A treat for afternoon tea lovers. The sanwiches melted in the mouth and when they were eaten they were replaced to such an extent that I didn't require any more food for the rest of the day! Superb scones, and very nice pastries completed the cakestand. The tea was of the finest quality, and the service outstanding. The only downside is that men have to wear a jacket and tie, though you would look out of place if you didn't.

The waiters could snoot for England, and the place is just like what you would imagine The Ritz would be. Everyone should do this at least once in their life, though it is the most expensive afternoon tea I have ever had, by a long way.

The only negative was some jobsworth at the door telling me I couldn't take a measly photo of my wife in the foyer for some unknown reason. I wasn't blocking anything and there didn't appear to be any logical reason why he should do this, except I suspect 'Rules are Rules'. Everyone else was taking pictures of everything that moved, and everything that didn't move as well.

A great day out, nevertheless.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HabLeaf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The most wonderful experience place ever!!! Went there with friends service 5 stars, cocktails and ambiance five stars... Beautiful, elegant,chic Hotel... In my next visit to London for sure I'll be there.
Thank you for keeping the elements of the hospitality industry!!! BIG TKANKS !!!

Room Tip: I did not stay at this hotel however I had the oportunity to check around and it is a wonderful hote...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marta D
Bury st edmunds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Boy oh Boy ! What a hotel,top class and lavish style at its finest.Based in the centre of London in Piccadilly it just bursts with class.The rooms are out of this world and the food,Well ! It is the best.The staff arme warm and kind and go out it tree way to help .This is not a place to be missed when in London.Dont delay book today.

Room Tip: In the centre of London and perfect for the theatres.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Brian H
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you, I might have written that summary myself! I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz on another occasion. SB
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had booked afternoon tea as a surprise christmas treat for myself, husband and three teenage daughters. Our table was for the 1.30 sitting and we arrived with about 10 minutes to spare which enabled us to have a look around and take some photographs before sitting down. I have been a couple of times before with girlfriends and wanted to share this wonderful experience with my girls. It didnt disappoint. We were shown to our table by a chap who actually seemed to glide across the room! We decided to try various teas as we are big tea drinkers at home and they were all wonderful. Two three tier cake stands were brought to the table with various delicious fingers of gorgeous sandwiches. Then two three tier cake stands full of beautiful pastries and another two of warm fruit and plain scones with pots of jams and clotted cream! Definately a day to forget about the diet! We could not eat all. My hubby is not a cake person but even he tried some and agreed they were delicious. The surroundings are magnificent and opulent. One elelgant chap came over (I think he was the head waiter), with more pastries on a trolley which we didnt try but he was friendly and chatted to us for a bit and answered some of our questions about the hotel and gave us some interesting facts about it too. It is a wonderful experience for a special treat. There was a family next to us and they brought out a birthday cake for the mum and played happy birthday on the grand piano and everyone clapped. I have done afternoon tea at a few of the top hotels in London and in my opinion The Ritz is the best. It was a really lovely way to spend an afternoon in London in beautiful, elegant surroundings. Definately worth a visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 510christinew
Cold Lake, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I was fortunate enough to be taken to high tea at the Ritz this afternoon. The food, tea and service was simply amazing. I love that they refill anything off your tiered platter and also bring around extra sweets - perfect for my sweet-toothed sister and I!

I was a bit daunted to start because I wasn't sure my sleeping baby would be allowed to stay in his buggy but we were given a table that could fit the pram right beside us. Even when he woke up, the staff got him a high chair, heated his baby food in the kitchen for me AND gave him a complimentary Ritz teddy bear!

I really loved the whole experience- even the powder room was gorgeous and a nice place to breast feed. If only I could go every week!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank burry
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We where lucky enough to stay here for a night while in London, having never stay anywhere quite like the Ritz I didn’t know what to expect. I was slightly disappointed with the room, it feels old and tiered and I understand that some people would like the traditional British hotel but I like a little bit of luxury as well. I get the impression they can charge what they like because of the name and what you pay for is not reflected in the room. You can’t fault the staff or the breakfast which is superb and they will cook anything you can think off.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank bf_evo
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to learn that the style of the hotel is not to your taste, however I completely appreciate that it is not for everyone. I am nonetheless heartened to note that you appreciated the service, which is what I hope The Ritz excels at. SB
Aberaeron, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Afternoon tea at The Ritz was a delightful experience,service was as expected , excellent .The whole package was a treat to be enjoyed by all ages from my 18 year old daughted to my parents in their 70s .Well worth a trip out and would recommend it to anyone! thank you for a wonderful time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family